New York sues PepsiCo in effort to hold it responsible for litter that winds up in rivers

FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

New York state sued PepsiCo on Wednesday in an effort to hold the soda-and-snack food giant partly responsible for litter that winds up in bodies of water supplying the city of...

Litter from many sources end up in the Buffalo River, but the attorney general's office said a 2022 survey named PepsiCo as the single largest identifiable contributor to its plastic waste. Of the 1,916 pieces of plastic waste containing an identifiable brand, 17.1% were produced by PepsiCo, according to the survey. McDonald's came in a distant second, the lawsuit said.

• Sicko 1

I can’t see this really working, but best of luck. You’d think Coca-Cola would be tops as Pepsi was hard to find during my visit 25yrs ago on a school trip. Found it just like downtown Toronto, coca-cola machines everywhere, served in more restaurants and in stores. I did find Pepsi but harder/smaller shelf space in comparison to Coke. So I wonder if they factor Coke products WITH the McDonald’s cups, as they’re all Coke products too. 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I can’t see this really working, but best of luck. You’d think Coca-Cola would be tops as Pepsi was hard to find during my visit 25yrs ago on a school trip. Found it just like downtown Toronto, coca-cola machines everywhere, served in more restaurants and in stores. I did find Pepsi but harder/smaller shelf space in comparison to Coke. So I wonder if they factor Coke products WITH the McDonald’s cups, as they’re all Coke products too. 

Coke is like specifically beverages while PepsiCo owns a lot of snack foods like Lays, Ruffles, and Tostitos, so all those fun size bags and stuff, as well.

• True 2

20 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Coke is like specifically beverages while PepsiCo owns a lot of snack foods like Lays, Ruffles, and Tostitos, so all those fun size bags and stuff, as well.

Oh I know, as I was employed with PepsiCo for 7.5yrs before a wrist injury. :) Coke does own a few non coke products but, yeah, we outnumbered them good on most everything else. 

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

Vending machines at my high school only sold Pepsi products and @Commissar SFLUFAN's favorite fast foot restaurant only sells Pepsi drinks.

While it is the fault of these companies that they produce a lot of plastic, I don't see how it is their fault that it ends up in the river unless PepsiCo is dumping its trash into the river. It sounds more like a problem caused by consumers. I mean, they even call it litter.