Marvel Studios’ What If…? Season 2 trailer

• 1 month later...

Reminder that they have started dropping on Disney+. Had to watch Happy Saves Xmas and it’s a fun Marvel spin on a Die Hard movie, with Sam Rockwell back as Hammer. Plus I’m stoned and loved the animation/action with the very lively colours with the Dolby Vision. Plus voice acting seems better, even from Bucky in the 2nd episode. Skipped first episode (watch tomorrow) but did 2 and 3. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Canon in the sense of part of the MCU multiverse? 

The MCU multiverse is so convoluted as this point that it's like who fucking really cares at this point tbh.

Just start putting a "last time in the MCU" montage before everything to give me a recap/synopsis of what I need to know.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, that's my understanding. I was actually hoping the variant of Dr. Strange who has a character arc in season 1 of What If would show up in Dr. Strange 2 but they used an entirely different, lamer variant instead.

I believe the last episode that releases this year will be of that Dr. Strange and maybe it’s setup for the third with how Multiverse of Madness ended

5 hours ago, johnny said:

but them saying this was canon is when i decided this shit was out of control and it’s only gotten worse 

I mean, it's Marvel. It's *all* canon, it's just a question of which Universe it happens in. Been that way in the comics for decades. 

6 hours ago, Slug said:

I mean, it's Marvel. It's *all* canon, it's just a question of which Universe it happens in. Been that way in the comics for decades. 

It's not all canon though. Marvel video games do not take place in the MCU. I guess you could say it's just yet another alternate universe but "canon" here means "directly affecting or being referenced in the other movies and shows", not just existing. Being part of "the plan" for the MCU. Like Jeffrey Wright could appear in an MCU movie voicing the Watcher, that level of canon.

Interesting who is still contractually obligated/wants money/enjoys the role to come do the voice over for the role and who doesn't. The running tally so far of who is different for season 2, most actors do come back (I'm three episodes in so far):

Episode 1: no Glenn Close as Nova Prime (no surprise, can't imagine someone like her coming back), no Vin Diesel as Groot (this is surprising, perhaps not worth the cost)

Episode 2: no Annette Bening as Dr. Wendy Lawson/Mar-Vell (somewhat surprising as Jude Law came back but classy older actor lady probably not coming back like Glenn Close)

Episode 3: no RDJ as Iron Man (though the person they got sounded a lot like him), no ScarJo as Black Widow (no surprise there, she's never coming back), no Chris Evans as Captain America (no surprise there either as like with Iron Man, his character seems "retired", at least for now)

The guy who voiced W.E.R.N.E.R. in episode 3 was clearly meant to imitate Werner Herzog to the point I thought it was Herzog, but it was Ross Marquand, who played Red Skull in Infinity War.

• 2 weeks later...

Got through three more episodes, here's the VA breakdown:

Episode 4: no RDJ as Iron Man (again, guy they got sounds just like him though), no Zoe Saldana as Gamora (this is a bit of a surprise, not sure why she didn't come back, I mean you even brought back Josh Brolin as Thanos)

Episode 5: no ScarJo as Black Widow (it remains Lake Bell in the role, who is good), no Chris Evans as Captain America (I am impressed though they even brought back Bernard White from 2014's The Winter Soldier to voice "Councilman Singh", Rachel Weisz came back, Elizabeth Olsen came back, Sebastian Stan came back, and even Frank Grillo came back)

Episode 6: no Anthony Hopkins as Odin (absolutely no surprise there, but cool for Clancy Brown to come back as Surtur from Thor: Ragnarok)

So far there's really been no surprises as to who came back and who didn't except for the fact more big name actors came back for just a couple of line readings than I expected. It's clear RDJ, ScarJo and Chris Evans will never be coming back unless it's some big thing. I'm a bit surprised Glenn Close, Annette Bening and Anthony Hopkins didn't come back because it's not like their careers are going crazy and it's easy money but oh well, classy old actors may see this as beneath them. The two big surprises are no Vin Diesel as Groot and no Zoe Saldana as Gamora. Not sure why when Guardians Holiday Special and Volume 3 both just recently dropped. Maybe it's a "I'm only loyal to James Gunn projects" thing. 

Decided to watch on through and finish this. It was good! I enjoyed it a lot more than most MCU shows, just like season 1 the show is fun, funny and solidly written for the most part. They seem to be enjoying their time in the MCU unlike some of the MCU shows. This show and Loki really do work well together, with What If season 1 dealing with the fallout of Loki season 1 and this season dealing with the fallout of Loki season 2. A shame that they killed the Strange Supreme at the end of the season, so he won't be able to be used in a third Doctor Strange film, ah well. Here's the final VA breakdown:

Episode 7: no Anthony Hopkins as Odin (again, so that shows he won't be coming back, a shame, the VA isn't very good, but Idris Elba coming back for Heimdall was nice), no Tony Leung as Wenwu though I'm not sure this counts as this Wenwu is in the far back past and could be a different Wenwu, I'm not sure, though I don't imagine Tony Leung would ever come back either way most likely

Episode 8: no RDJ as Iron Man and no Chris Evans as Captain America, as usual (or as he's known here, Rogers Hood) but man everyone else showed up from Ruffalo to Rudd

Episode 9: no Chris Evans as Captain America (as usual; though Stanley Tucci showing up for one line was appreciated)

And there you have it. Pretty clear the actors who are never returning vs. the ones who are, except in Gamora and Groot's cases, not sure what the deal is there. And a third season trailer has already dropped, looking forward to it: