Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Question for those that bought the 512 version. How many games can you fit on it approximately at a time?

Kind of a broad question. It depends on the game obviously. If you installed God of War 7 times, then you could only install 7 games. If all your games were the size of Vampire Survivors you could install 743 games.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Kind of a broad question. It depends on the game obviously. If you installed God of War 7 times, then you could only install 7 games. If all your games were the size of Vampire Survivors you could install 743 games.

Because currently I can only have 6 games downloaded. They are all AAA games, though. 

@Keyser_Soze Can I charge this with power off?

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can also play a lot of games off an SD card. 

Yea, eventually I will get a SD card. 

@stepee RE4 looks and plays incredibly well.

But the very best visuals I've seen so far that looks spectacular and absolutely pops is Horizon Zero Dawn. It's better than Forbidden West, too. Awesome game.

The battery life is garbage but thankfully my bed setup allows me to have it charging as I play.

Thought something was missing. Closed my D1P tab like a week ago on accident and totally forgot about it until now!

I ain't readin' all this shit I missed, I'll just say I picked up a 512GB OLED, popped in a 2TB drive and have been having a blast. I actually never had too much of an issue with the original Deck's screen outside of horror games, but it really is a massive upgrade. Far more than that is the fucking insanely increased battery life and faster charging, which make this thing far more portable than my OG Deck ever felt.

Sold my OG for $250 yesterday. Was asking for $300, and could've definitely gotten it if I had waited (still have offers coming in after deleting the ad) but whatever, I really hate selling stuff so the faster I can get rid of it and be done with it, the better.

The real winner of the whole thing for me is the increase to 90Hz. Even games that you can't run at 90 FPS still benefit from all the new refresh rate options that help reduce input lag, on top of the input lag reduction from the firmware itself. So everything is either way smoother, way more responsive, or both!

• Hype 2

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Question for you guys. Do you adjust any settings for your games or do you go with the recommended specs?

Anyone?

@stepee RDR2 looks absolutely incredible. I played 2 hours straight because of just how great it looks. Believe it or not, it is easier to control everything on the deck than on console, too.

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Question for you guys. Do you adjust any settings for your games or do you go with the recommended specs?

Depends on the game/performance. I don't really play AAA games on mine. The few I did  I went to pixel decks youtube for settings but they haven't posted anything in about a month. 

1 minute ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Depends on the game/performance. I don't really play AAA games on mine. The few I did  I went to pixel decks youtube for settings but they haven't posted anything in about a month. 

Thanks for the response. I put TLOU on deck at 60fps but didn't really notice anything. 

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What SD card should I get. I can only fit 6 games on it and I want to fit at least 10. I had to delete Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade because I needed room for RE4.  

I have the 512 version of this card. I'm linking to the 1TB one because you install gigantic games. Choose whichever one you think you need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9W5HJV

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I can say this with confidence that Horizon Zero Dawn is a much better game than Forbidden West. Aloy isn't annoying in the slightest and her character model looks better. It's just more interesting and less packed with nonsense. 

Hot Take:  They both suck 

• Shocked 1

I did end up getting mine in on Friday, and I have to say that I get it now. I've been a bit down on the deck since its release, but now that I've got one it makes sense to me.

It's both bigger and lighter than I expected, but it feels so good in my hands. I've put maybe 8 hours into it so far and it is so much better to hold than the Switch or any other handheld. Not only does it feel great, but the controls are top notch. The trackpads have that very cool haptic feedback to them, the buttons and sticks and triggers all feel solid with just the right click to them. I think my only real complaint about any of it is that I wish they could steal the triggers from the PS5.

More than just feeling like a solid gadget, it works much more like a console than I expected. I honestly expected it to be a bit more jankey, or at least feel a lot more like this is a mini linux computer running a custom Steam skin, but it doesn't. It's a proper little console package. The overlays and menus are really well done and tie the whole software portion together nicely. I would feel very comfortable recommending one to my less tech savvy friends.

For myself, I think the Steam Deck has already proven its value by being well suited to the games that didn't feel as at home on my desktop. I've started with Dave the Diver, Hades, and Midnight Suns and all three are perfect for the deck. I'm not even mildly tempted to install Cypberpunk or Starfield, I'll leave that to my powerful desktop where games can command my full attention and push the graphics all the way up. The deck is an excellent companion for those smaller games to enjoy on the couch. For that reason I don't have any issue with 512GB of storage. I have a bunch of games I could throw on there, but I don't bounce between games fast enough to need all of them installed at once, and the games I do have installed hardly use up much space at all.

I haven't really even gotten into using it as a gadget. I've launched into desktop mode and made sure my password manager was on there, just in case I want to do more, but I don't see myself doing much. I still might bother to find a way to backup my camera's memory cards while on a vacation, but I think the deck will have a spot even if I don't use it for that.

Just now, best3444 said:

I bought and currently downloading Elden Ring. Anyone try this on the oled deck?

Can you summon help like in consoles for help with bosses?

You can summon just the same. On the original deck I remember it ran fine at 30fps - that’s a good idea to try - ima check that out. 

• Like 1