Blue Eye Samurai - Netflix's best original in years, update: renewed for a second season

On 12/2/2023 at 4:56 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude, they are playing CHARACTERS. Have you ever seen Monster with Charlize Theron? She's an incredibly beautiful woman but she was mad unattractive because that's what the part called for. The devs in the two games you named didn't want either of these characters' appearances to be the main focus of playing them and that's a perfectly legitimate creative decision. Not all female characters need to look like old school Lara Croft or Bayonetta.

Yeah, I’ve seen Monster. Great movie. Charlize Theron is one of my favorite actresses, she was especially badass in Mad Max: Fury Road. And I get what you’re saying, but I still don’t really see a reason why the devs didn’t make Jesse Faden (Control) and Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn) look just like the actresses (Courtney Hope and Hannah Hoekstra) that they’re modeled from because it wouldn’t have changed things or made their looks the main focus since they still look similar just a little less attractive IMO.

By the way, I don’t want all female characters to look like somewhat exaggerated caricatures like old school Lara Croft and Bayonetta. I like female characters in more realistic looking games to look more realistic as well, and I see no reason why they can’t look both realistic and attractive if there’s no reason for them not to.

Some examples of realistic looking female characters in games that are also attractive are Aveline de Grandpre (Assassin’s Creed Liberation), Evie Frye (Assassin’s Creed Syndicate), Kassandra (Assassin’s Creed Odyssey), Dani Rojas (Far Cry 6), Katharine (King’s Bounty II), Amicia de Rune (A Plague Tale: Innocence), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013), Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy).

I just like the characters that I play as in games to look appealing to me since I’m looking at them for long periods of time while playing. That’s why I don’t really like playing as guys, because I don’t like looking at them for long periods of time. :p

22 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I’ve seen Monster. Great movie. Charlize Theron is one of my favorite actresses, she was especially badass in Mad Max: Fury Road. And I get what you’re saying, but I still don’t really see a reason why the devs didn’t make Jesse Faden (Control) and Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn) look just like the actresses that they’re modeled after (Courtney Hope and Hannah Hoekstra) because it wouldn’t have changed things or made their looks the main focus since they still look similar just a little less attractive IMO.

By the way, I don’t want all female characters to look like somewhat exaggerated cartoonish caricatures like old school Lara Croft and Bayonetta. I like female characters in more realistic looking games to look more realistic themselves, and I see no reason why they can’t look both realistic and attractive if there’s no reason for them not to.

Some examples of realistic looking female characters in games that are also attractive are Aveline de Grandpre (Assassin’s Creed Liberation), Evie Frye (Assassin’s Creed Syndicate), Kassandra (Assassin’s Creed Odyssey), Dani (Far Cry 6), Amicia de Rune (A Plague Tale: Innocence), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) and Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross (Uncharted: The Lost Legacy).

I just like the characters that I play as in games to look appealing to me since I’m looking at them for long periods of time while playing. That’s why I don’t really like playing as guys, because I don’t like looking at them for long periods of time. :p

Dude, Aloy is pretty in Zero Dawn lol. 

On 12/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, best3444 said:

Dude, Aloy is pretty in Zero Dawn lol. 

She’s cute and I admit that she was kind of a bad example for me to use when naming female characters that are average/unattractive looking IMO, but the actress (Hannah Hoekstra) that she’s modeled from is really pretty.

Just now, Phaseknox said:

She’s cute and I admit that she was kind of a bad example for me to use when naming female characters that are average/unattractive looking IMO, but the actress (Hannah Hoekstra) that she’s modeled after is really pretty.

I had to look Hannah up and I actually agree that she is prettier than Aloy. You might be on to something after all!

• 2 weeks later...

Huzzah!

WWW.NETFLIX.COM

Mizu’s enemies don’t stand a chance, do they?

Mizu’s (Maya Erskine) quest for vengeance is far from over. The hero of Blue Eye Samurai will continue to seek — and swiftly deliver — justice in Season 2.

“When we started this project, we made a commitment to take this very personal story set in Edo-period Japan and bring it to life in the most authentic and beautiful way possible. Our animators, historians, musicians, martial artists, and voice cast made this a reality beyond our expectations,” creators, executive producers, and writers Amber Noizumi and Michael Green told Netflix. 

“We are thankful to our entire team and to our viewers from all over the world who have shown such passion for Mizu and her path of revenge.  Mizu has a lot more blood to spill! We are deeply grateful to our incredible partners at Netflix for letting the journey continue.”

• Like 1
  • Hype 5

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blue Eye Samurai - Netflix's best original in years, update: renewed for a second season
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

little bump as i was bored and finally decided to give this a try.

3 eps in and its been awesome.  i always love the ancient japan settings and story has actually been good.  Voice cast is really good and was actually surprised with some of the people involved. 

• Hype 2

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I did finally watch this as well

Weird, you were trashing on me the whole time for not liking it yet you hadn't even seen it yourself calling it a masterpiece and everything wow.

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

the final fight kind of petered out like both sides forgot how to fight

One of the many things that bothered me was

Spoiler

Fowler running in the opposite direction of his gunmen after the initial fight. Why didn't he just run out the front door where his army of gunmen were waiting? Pretty easy victory there.

Then of course by the time Mizu finds him you know that she's not going to kill him.

Just many of the reasons this thing is overrated trash. Once you get past the visuals it's pretty brain dead. :talkhand:

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Weird, you were trashing on me the whole time for not liking it yet you hadn't even seen it yourself calling it a masterpiece and everything wow.

One of the many things that bothered me was

Hide contents

Fowler running in the opposite direction of his gunmen after the initial fight. Why didn't he just run out the front door where his army of gunmen were waiting? Pretty easy victory there.

Then of course by the time Mizu finds him you know that she's not going to kill him.

Just many of the reasons this thing is overrated trash. Once you get past the visuals it's pretty brain dead. :talkhand:

I should have been clear: I finished this as well, I'd started it awhile ago but got sidetracked. And it's not braindead; it's a very heightened reality like Samurai Jack; I mean, she dead lifts a guy up a sheer rock cliff face. I mean, for some reason all the gates automatically opened during the final invasion. :p I also didn't call it a "masterpiece", I said it was great and fantastic. But you're right, DOTA: Dragon's Blood is better than Arcane and the Resident Evil live-action adaptation was good, not bad and this is trash and the Onimusha adaptation is better. :silly: Enjoy what you want but calling Blue Eye Samurai nothing but "visuals" while ignoring all the excellent world building it does and character work it does for Mizu alone is giving it short shrift. And yes, unique animation styles and style as substance can take a show a long way too. I guess the rest of us in this thread, all of RT and all of IMDb have no idea what we're talking about. 

• Sicko Sherman 1

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But you're right, DOTA: Dragon's Blood is better than Arcane

Arcane was like Star Wars Episode 1. 90% of the show as sitting at some government round table, and if it wasn't at the above ground round table it was at the below ground one. then there is like a 30 second cool action scene and people gobble it up like the Darth Maul fight which is like 2 minutes long and the rest of the movie is boring as hell. :sleep:

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

the Resident Evil live-action adaptation was good, not bad

It was enjoyable, what can I say. It got a bad rap because RE fans were super upset it wasn't related to the game and then you had the racist incel angle that trashed it because of the daughters which were also poc. It has one of the best action scenes you'll see anywhere in that prison. It's not a serious show it's for fun, but no one caught on. 🤷‍♀️ Sorry for liking RE TV show. I'll do better next time!

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

this is trash and the Onimusha adaptation is better

I had a better time watching Onimusha yeah. BES was full of unlikable characters, predictable writing, I disliked the art style, the list goes on. I just didn't like watching it and saying how many other people liked it isn't going to magically make me like it.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

While ignoring all the excellent world building it does

It was like two towns and a city and then tries to cleverly tie a certain historic event into it.

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

and character work it does for Mizu alone is giving it short shrift.

They're not likable from the beginning and less likable at the end, great work!

26 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I guess the rest of us in this thread, all of RT and all of IMDb have no idea what we're talking about. 

Plenty of fake reviews on RT and IMDB, especially IMDB. Look at a lower review of this show on IMDB for a real opinion.

6/10 is what I gave it and 7 is about average for me so I don't actually consider the show "trash" but it didn't resonate with me as much as the rest of you who are absolutely gushing over it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Plenty of fake reviews on RT and IMDB, especially IMDB. Look at a lower review of this show on IMDB for a real opinion.

6/10 is what I gave it and 7 is about average for me so I don't actually consider the show "trash" but it didn't resonate with me as much as the rest of you who are absolutely gushing over it.

The show clearly didn't resonate with you, but it's ridiculously conspiratorial to suggest that only for Blue Eye Samurai both websites have tons of fake reviews except for the lower reviews, those are legit. C'mon now. I don't care if you like the show or not, I'm not trying to get you to like it (why would I try to get anyone to like anything? I don't care if people like something or not). I'm trying to get you to understand that your opinion is in the very small minority for this show so you trashing it while ignoring that clearly you missed whatever everyone else overwhelming loves about the show just comes off as silly. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The show clearly didn't resonate with you, but it's ridiculously conspiratorial to suggest that only for Blue Eye Samurai both websites have tons of fake reviews except for the lower reviews, those are legit. C'mon now. I don't care if you like the show or not, I'm not trying to get you to like it (why would I try to get anyone to like anything? I don't care if people like something or not). I'm trying to get you to understand that your opinion is in the very small minority for this show so you trashing it while ignoring that clearly you missed whatever everyone else overwhelming loves about the show just comes off as silly. 

Well I've tried to keep the trashing it to a bare minimum ok :nottalking:

• Haha 1