Rate the oddness of this /10

gamer.tv

I’ve been at a festival with my family over the past few days and one of the things on was karaoke. This wasn’t any old karaoke though, this was Barrioke.

This is a thing in the UK as Barry (actual name Shaun Williamson) is a bit of a cult icon as an ex-soap star, featured in the show Extras (and Life’s Too Short) and has toured Barrioke for a few years now. The act is people sign up and sing alongside him.

For the festival, it meant going on the main stage at 12pm (after a chap caller Mr Motivator, another British icon, had encouraged about 12,000 people to come to the stage for a bit of aerobics.

There were 30 songs available, so it was a first come, first choose situation and most songs had been taken before I got there. I ended up choosing Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs and then went about my day.

The show was only 45 minutes or so, so the reality was only about 7 or so people would actually get on out of the 30. Lo and behold though, after the first three acts, my name was called. 

So I waddled on over to the fence, got a sticker, hung around on some steps and then was ushered on stage to (probably more) than 12,000 people (with my wife, daughter, and extended family at the front). 

It was certainly an experience but now I may need to leave the life of a teacher and become a rock star, because I need that thrill again! 

The oddness rating can come from how quintessentially English this whole experience was.

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve been at a festival with my family over the past few days and one of the things on was karaoke. This wasn’t any old karaoke though, this was Barrioke.

This is a thing in the UK as Barry (actual name Shaun Williamson) is a bit of a cult icon as an ex-soap star, featured in the show Extras (and Life’s Too Short) and has toured Barrioke for a few years now. The act is people sign up and sing alongside him.

For the festival, it meant going on the main stage at 12pm (after a chap caller Mr Motivator, another British icon, had encouraged about 12,000 people to come to the stage for a bit of aerobics.

There were 30 songs available, so it was a first come, first choose situation and most songs had been taken before I got there. I ended up choosing Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs and then went about my day.

The show was only 45 minutes or so, so the reality was only about 7 or so people would actually get on out of the 30. Lo and behold though, after the first three acts, my name was called. 

So I waddled on over to the fence, got a sticker, hung around on some steps and then was ushered on stage to (probably more) than 12,000 people (with my wife, daughter, and extended family at the front). 

It was certainly an experience but now I may need to leave the life of a teacher and become a rock star, because I need that thrill again! 

The oddness rating can come from how quintessentially English this whole experience was.

This is BY FAR the most goddamned British thing I've read in a very, very long time.

• Haha 3