Stop it with the gender reveal parties and the [insert thing] showers!

Fizzzzle

For the last year, I have worked/coordinated private events as my full time job. I don't know how much longer I can do it.

You want to have a big party for your wedding? Sick, of course you do.

You also want to throw a bridal shower? ... Okay 

You also want a bachelorette party? ... Dude, you're pushing it.

Oh AND a gender reveal party...  I can 100% guarantee that most of your friends hate you.

All of these fucking events are exercises in narcissism. You get to have two. That's it. Two. You already get your birthday and (assuming you're in a relationship) your anniversary, those are freebies. Any more than two and your odds of dying alone increase exponentially. Hell, maybe even logarithmically.

Stop it with the days that have to be about you. Fuck me, if you are married with children you already have like 4 days a year where you expect the world to stop for you. You've had enough.

Sorry, I've just been dealing with a difficult client that can't understand that the world doesn't stop for her because it's her baby shower. My employees have lives of their own. Hell, some of them even have kids of their own. I can't grant you the world, you cunt.

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I hate them all. Only ever been to one baby shower, I think. 

My good work buddy is having a baby with his gf and they chosen not to know the gender and just did a registry at Target. I bought them a gift and gave it to him at work. Easy peasy. 

FUCK KNOWING THE GENDER. for fucks sake we live in a post gender world now anyway, regardless of what people in Florida think.

If you do want to know the gender, don't throw a party about it. I guarantee you your friends don't actually care. They will love your child regardless of the state of penis.

17 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I agree they're beyond stupid, especially when they get really elaborate or involve explosives. :silly:

The place I work costs like $9k to rent for a day. Something like $4.5k for a half day. And that's literally just the space, there's also a $1k minimum for food

It eats at your soul when you are struggling with bills while you're serving people who drop multiple months of your salary on a party.

• Hugs 1

Every once in a while I work an event that is really grass roots. Like everyone pitched in to have this party. 99% of the time, though, it's an exercise in narcissism. A majority of the people at your wedding don't want to be there, I'm sorry to tell you.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Every once in a while I work an event that is really grass roots. Like everyone pitched in to have this party. 99% of the time, though, it's an exercise in narcissism. A majority of the people at your wedding don't want to be there, I'm sorry to tell you.

I never wanted to be at any wedding I attended. And I didn’t have one. 13 years later, I have zero regrets. 

As for the gender stuff, maybe I’d be curious if I was pregnant, but I sure the fuck wouldn’t wanna do a party for it. 

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I never wanted to be at any wedding I attended. And I didn’t have one. 13 years later, I have zero regrets. 

As for the gender stuff, maybe I’d be curious if I was pregnant, but I sure the fuck wouldn’t wanna do a party for it. 

Yeah I could even see wanting to celebrate more than is "typical" if someone and their partner had a hard time conceiving, for example, but even then... nothing about having difficulty to conceive requires insane fireworks, elaborate brunches in expensive restaurants, etc., right? :silly: 

"A fool and his money are soon parted" and all that, I guess. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I went to #MyBestFriendsWedding and it wasn't too bad. Most of the people there were people I knew. The only thing is that the DJ couldn't play certain songs.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I went to #MyBestFriendsWedding and it wasn't too bad. Most of the people there were people I knew. The only thing is that the DJ couldn't play certain songs.

Pretty sure every wedding I’ve attended ended in divorce after a few short years. Lots of money down the drain. 

No, wait. One of my high school friends got married not long after we graduated and they’re still going strong after 17-18 years and two kids. 

Often these parties are a distraction from everytihng that isn't going right in these folks lives. This is not a justification for these eleboorate suburban masterbation parties, but it does exlpain why people who have the burden of work and a faimly look for rediculous, ego laden, affirmations that they are still the center of their lives and that people in their lives care. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Often these parties are a distraction from everytihng that isn't going right in these folks lives. This is not a justification for these eleboorate suburban masterbation parties, but it does exlpain why people who have the burden of work and a faimly look for rediculous, ego laden, affirmations that they are still the center of their lives and that people in their lives care. 

I wanna do so many spelling corrections in this post. 

• Haha 3

We went to a great baby shower a couple months ago where we won gifts for getting things right, from her belly size to a balloon popping game where you're "breaking" the water to find a hidden baby figure to "Who said it?" 

I won a $25 Amazon gift card for guessing her belly size exactly and promptly used it for Sonic Origins Plus. :cool: 

It was really quite lovely! I was impressed and felt they really got people involved and were part of the celebration and not just spectating. We took notes because we thought it was a great idea.

• Like 3

the only thing we did when my wife got pregnant was take a few trips. We assumed the next couple of years will be challenging to travel. Well we were right though we didn’t expect a pandemic to be the reason why. 

Add “pregnant belly size” to the weird D1P kink excel spreadsheet. :p

• Sicko Sherman 1

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

Also, shouldn't it be a "sex reveal party" rather than a "gender reveal party" since it's very unlikely that the baby will make its identified gender known at that stage? 

:hmm:

I came out of the womb knowing I wanted to slay some poon.

(I realize now that that isn't as funny if you don't know I'm not straight, but I'm not taking it back)

Anyway it's weird to celebrate your kids genitalea

I made this post after dealing with terrible clients for a while. Springtime is much more for baby showers, gender reveal parties, bridal showers, etc. Once it gets to summer, at least where I work, it's 100% wedding season, and weddings are much more agreeable. 

Most people hire a coordinator, and between their coordinator and our coordinator, it's a much more... coordinated process. I don't have to deal with as much. Most of the time the wedding couple is just over this shit by the time the wedding starts, the parents are paying for everything (and usually drinking the most) so they don't care as long as the booze is flowing. Everyone else doesn't care, they're just there for free booze and food.

A wedding is a long day for me, usually 10-14 hours depending on the size, but the bulk of the work comes in the planning and the setup. The setup takes about 4 hours if they have a full bar, give or take depending on how many people. Most of the rest of the day is kind of easy.

I do wish more people would allow their guests to get drinks before the ceremony was over, that way the alcoholics could have their drink, then the casual drinkers can get theirs after the ceremony, then everyone else can follow after. The most hectic part is right after the ceremony is over and people go "alright, now time to drink" and you get everyone rushing to the bar at the same time.

14 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I made this post after dealing with terrible clients for a while. Springtime is much more for baby showers, gender reveal parties, bridal showers, etc. Once it gets to summer, at least where I work, it's 100% wedding season, and weddings are much more agreeable. 

Most people hire a coordinator, and between their coordinator and our coordinator, it's a much more... coordinated process. I don't have to deal with as much. Most of the time the wedding couple is just over this shit by the time the wedding starts, the parents are paying for everything (and usually drinking the most) so they don't care as long as the booze is flowing. Everyone else doesn't care, they're just there for free booze and food.

A wedding is a long day for me, usually 10-14 hours depending on the size, but the bulk of the work comes in the planning and the setup. The setup takes about 4 hours if they have a full bar, give or take depending on how many people. Most of the rest of the day is kind of easy.

I do wish more people would allow their guests to get drinks before the ceremony was over, that way the alcoholics could have their drink, then the casual drinkers can get theirs after the ceremony, then everyone else can follow after. The most hectic part is right after the ceremony is over and people go "alright, now time to drink" and you get everyone rushing to the bar at the same time.

You might need to get out of that business all together. Doesn't seem good for your mental health or physical. 

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

You might need to get out of that business all together. Doesn't seem good for your mental health or physical. 

You're probably right in terms of getting out of customer service altogether, but compared to working in bars and clubs it's not bad. I basically have to deal with much more physical exhaustion (I have to move large amounts of liquid from one place to another, and then back again there's no need to go to the gym), but in terms of mental health... Not one time have I ever had to call the cops on someone because they got too drunk at a wedding.