Arcade Racing Thread

ShreddieMercury

For the past several years, I've been on a quest to scratch a specific itch.  Up until the last generation, arcade racing games were rather ubiquitous and usually pretty successful.  But in the early 2010's, the industry started to tilt heavily in favor of simulations, and things haven't (and may never) tilt back.  Exactly why this occurred is a mystery to me; in a medium where the only limit is imagination, players have seemingly voiced their desire to only drive around boring tracks in the most tedious manor possible.  The failure of Blur and Split/Second in 2010, ironically two of the best games made in this genre, seemed like the final nail in the coffin.

While there have been several attempts at capturing the spirit of arcade racing in the past few years, sadly nothing has come close to the heights of this once dominant genre.  For anybody like me that loves these games, I wanted to create a thread to collect the best that I've found that are still playable on modern systems.  There are a surprising amount of older games that are still available, and some very good recent games as well.  I'll omit very obvious ones like Forza, because while it would technically qualify, I don't think it quite fits.  I'll also omit stuff like Wreckfest and Art of Rally, because while they seemingly have all the correct elements in place, they're tied to rather sim-heavy driving models.  If anybody wants to include Kart Racers, that's great, but I'll leave them off my my initial list for now.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1667318486
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Feel the thrill of the chase and the rush of escape behind the wheels of the world’s hottest high-performance cars in Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit Remastered– a heart-pumping, socially competitive racing experience.

Available on PS, Xbox, Steam, Switch.

Positives: pure arcade drifting, well tuned combat, extensive and very fun campaign.  Negatives: the driving model takes time to get used to, as cars feel very heavy.  The destruction is significantly less detailed than in Burnout games.

GRIP: Combat Racing

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1686581866
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

GRIP is a high octane, hardcore combat racer, packing ferocious speed and armed to the teeth with heavy weapons. Inspired by games like Rollcage, Wipeout, Motorstorm and Star Wars Podracer, it's like nothing you've ever played before.

Available on PS, Xbox, Steam.

Positives: very fast, very fun modern take on classic PS racer Rollcage.  Track design is excellent, soundtrack is awesome.  Negatives: fun but fairly bare campaign.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane

WWW.XBOX.COM

This sequel to Midway’s legendary arcade racer features amazing dynamic water physics, transformable rocket-powered boats, gorgeous visuals and over-the-top interactive environments like Area 51 and the Bermuda Triangle. Conquer four game modes – Races, Ring Masters, Gauntlet, Championships -- and race against your Friends’ best performances in the all-new Ghost Race!

Available on PC/Xbox

Positives: excellent and fun water simulation.  Great track design.  Underrated and worthy successor to the original game.  Negatives: no online presence.  Very weak and bland soundtrack.

Slipstream

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1687963714
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Arcade-style racing game inspired by the spirit of the early 90s, with drifting mechanics and exotic tracks.

Positives: Fun take on Outrun, great soundtrack, good driving/drifting model.  Negatives: Tracks are a bit bland, and the game is pretty bare overall.

Burnout Paradise Remastered

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1625518920
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Burnout Paradise Remastered provides the ultimate driving playground for you and your friends to play online. This remaster includes all add-ons from the Year of Paradise, including the Big Surf Island update, meticulously recreated and ready to wreck in 4K.

Positives: The best driving and looking Burnout game.  Negatives: the open world makes for the worst Burnout racing.

Inertial Drift

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1668506982
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

An arcade racer that tears up the rule book with innovative twin-stick controls, completely re-imagined driving mechanics and a huge roster of fiercely individual cars and tracks.

Positives: unique twin-stick drifting model, fantastic visuals and soundtrack.  Negatives: racing is only against ghosts, so it's a series of time trials only.

Cruis'n Blast

hero
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

The arcade hit Cruis’n Blast is speeding onto Nintendo Switch™! Blast your way through nearly 30 over-the-top tracks. Grab the wheel of 23 custom rides from licensed supercars to monster trucks and unicorns! Up to four players can race together, so pic…

Available on Switch.

Positives: feels great to play, immediately fun.  Negatives:  zero depth, aesthetic is hit-or-miss.

Split/Second

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1604518394
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Split/Second is an intense action racing game set within a reality TV show. Competitors vie to be the first to the finish line in a set rigged to blow. Players don’t just collide with other vehicles to knock them from the track, but can also trigger devastating events that alter the race dynamics.

Available on Steam and Xbox.

Positives: unique take on combat racing, very fun driving model, extensive and varied campaign.  Negatives: severe rubber banding.

There are lots more that I don't have time to add, but I'll include some others at some point later.  Please share any that you'd like! 

• Halal 2

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1687195947
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Stunt Derby is a throwback stunt car racer with high-fidelity physics, online play and a built in track editor. Master tracks, build your own, explore a variety of game modes and smash through stacks of boxes in this unique low-poly drive-em-up.

Stunt Derby is being made by noclip (the Danny O'Dwyer documentary people) and is a throwback to Hard Drivin and those types of games. It has a demo too!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1687195947
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Stunt Derby is a throwback stunt car racer with high-fidelity physics, online play and a built in track editor. Master tracks, build your own, explore a variety of game modes and smash through stacks of boxes in this unique low-poly drive-em-up.

Stunt Derby is being made by noclip (the Danny O'Dwyer documentary people) and is a throwback to Hard Drivin and those types of games. It has a demo too!

Looks awesome!!

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

For the past several years, I've been on a quest to scratch a specific itch.  Up until the last generation, arcade racing games were rather ubiquitous and usually pretty successful.  But in the early 2010's, the industry started to tilt heavily in favor of simulations, and things haven't (and may never) tilt back.  Exactly why this occurred is a mystery to me; in a medium where the only limit is imagination, players have seemingly voiced their desire to only drive around boring tracks in the most tedious manor possible.  The failure of Blur and Split/Second in 2010, ironically two of the best games made in this genre, seemed like the final nail in the coffin.

While there have been several attempts at capturing the spirit of arcade racing in the past few years, sadly nothing has come close to the heights of this once dominant genre.  For anybody like me that loves these games, I wanted to create a thread to collect the best that I've found that are still playable on modern systems.  There are a surprising amount of older games that are still available, and some very good recent games as well.  I'll omit very obvious ones like Forza, because while it would technically qualify, I don't think it quite fits.  I'll also omit stuff like Wreckfest and Art of Rally, because while they seemingly have all the correct elements in place, they're tied to rather sim-heavy driving models.  If anybody wants to include Kart Racers, that's great, but I'll leave them off my my initial list for now.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1667318486
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Feel the thrill of the chase and the rush of escape behind the wheels of the world’s hottest high-performance cars in Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit Remastered– a heart-pumping, socially competitive racing experience.

Positives: pure arcade drifting, well tuned combat, extensive and very fun campaign.  Negatives: the driving model takes time to get used to, as cars feel very heavy.  The destruction is significantly less detailed than in Burnout games.

GRIP: Combat Racing

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1686581866
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

GRIP is a high octane, hardcore combat racer, packing ferocious speed and armed to the teeth with heavy weapons. Inspired by games like Rollcage, Wipeout, Motorstorm and Star Wars Podracer, it's like nothing you've ever played before.

Available on PS, Xbox, Steam.

Positives: very fast, very fun modern take on classic PS racer Rollcage.  Track design is excellent, soundtrack is awesome.  Negatives: fun but fairly bare campaign.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane

WWW.XBOX.COM

This sequel to Midway’s legendary arcade racer features amazing dynamic water physics, transformable rocket-powered boats, gorgeous visuals and over-the-top interactive environments like Area 51 and the Bermuda Triangle. Conquer four game modes – Races, Ring...

Available on PC/Xbox

Positives: excellent and fun water simulation.  Great track design.  Underrated and worthy successor to the original game.  Negatives: no online presence.  Very weak and bland soundtrack.

Slipstream

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1687963714
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Arcade-style racing game inspired by the spirit of the early 90s, with drifting mechanics and exotic tracks.

Positives: Fun take on Outrun, great soundtrack, good driving/drifting model.  Negatives: Tracks are a bit bland, and the game is pretty bare overall.

Burnout Paradise Remastered

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1625518920
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Burnout Paradise Remastered provides the ultimate driving playground for you and your friends to play online. This remaster includes all add-ons from the Year of Paradise, including the Big Surf Island update, meticulously recreated and ready to wreck in 4K.

Positives: The best driving and looking Burnout game.  Negatives: the open world makes for the worst Burnout racing.

Inertial Drift

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1668506982
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

An arcade racer that tears up the rule book with innovative twin-stick controls, completely re-imagined driving mechanics and a huge roster of fiercely individual cars and tracks.

Positives: unique twin-stick drifting model, fantastic visuals and soundtrack.  Negatives: racing is only against ghosts, so it's a series of time trials only.

Cruis'n Blast

hero
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

The arcade hit Cruis’n Blast is speeding onto Nintendo Switch™! Blast your way through nearly 30 over-the-top tracks. Grab the wheel of 23 custom rides from licensed supercars to monster trucks and unicorns! Up to four players can race together, so pic…

Available on Switch.

Positives: feels great to play, immediately fun.  Negatives:  zero depth, aesthetic is hit-or-miss.

Split/Second

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1604518394
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Split/Second is an intense action racing game set within a reality TV show. Competitors vie to be the first to the finish line in a set rigged to blow. Players don’t just collide with other vehicles to knock them from the track, but can also trigger devastating events that alter the race dynamics.

Available on Steam and Xbox.

Positives: unique take on combat racing, very fun driving model, extensive and varied campaign.  Negatives: severe rubber banding.

There are lots more that I don't have time to add, but I'll include some others at some point later.  Please share any that you'd like! 

You solved your own mystery the incompetence of publishers in 2010 ruined arcade racers. Blur was supposed to release in 2009 but Activision forced a delay because they wanted the game to add CoD leveling elements. The delay put it up against Split/Second and Mod Nation Racers all in the same 30 days and they cannibalized each other. I would love to see another Blur and Split/Second or at least some modern ports (VR Split/Second would be insane).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

You solved your own mystery the incompetence of publishers in 2010 ruined arcade racers. Blur was supposed to release in 2009 but Activision forced a delay because they wanted the game to add CoD leveling elements. The delay put it up against Split/Second and Mod Nation Racers all in the same 30 days and they cannibalized each other. I would love to see another Blur and Split/Second or at least some modern ports (VR Split/Second would be insane).

Interesting, I didn't realize Blur had been delayed.  I've always wanted to play it, and have heard great things about it!  Such a bummer that it's de-listed now.

I do consider Horizon an arcade racer, but it’s just one specific type that we get now. But I do appreciate that we at least get that. Even if I’m getting a little tired of the formula to where I actually had more fun with GT7 this time even though I prefer arcade usually (though Horizon 5 is also still good)

What’s really a shame is that the genre died before VR took off. That would be amazing if they came back in style now and we got them in VR. I’d finally get a racing wheel.

Man I just made myself so sad because I could see myself losing an entire day just cruising if we had Outrun 3(D) in VR :(

Actually, maybe I’m missing something because cmon, does anyone know if there is a decent arcade Vr racer? Not a kart or sim but one like mentioned in the OP.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Interesting, I didn't realize Blur had been delayed.  I've always wanted to play it, and have heard great things about it!  Such a bummer that it's de-listed now.

Yeah would be a great game to play on a Series X </3 The Forza Horizon team are the ones who made Blur... maybe just maymaybe if M$ buys Activision we could see a Blur mode DLC for the next Forza Horizon (please be Tokyo :pray:).

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Man I just made myself so sad because I could see myself losing an entire day just cruising if we had Outrun 3(D) in VR :(

Actually, maybe I’m missing something because cmon, does anyone know if there is a decent arcade Vr racer? Not a kart or sim but one like mentioned in the OP.

Wipeout Omega Collection is incredible in VR, and it definitely fits my definition of arcade racing.  Sadly it makes me pretty nauseous (like most VR).  But it's definitely in the top tier of PSVR experiences in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Wipeout Omega Collection is incredible in VR, and it definitely fits my definition of arcade racing.  Sadly it makes me pretty nauseous (like most VR).  But it's definitely in the top tier of PSVR experiences in my opinion.

Oh for sure that is incredible! Unfortunately there’s no backwards compatibility on psvr2 and that setup is way too cumbersome. The way Sony hasn’t ported some of their stuff over to psvr2 is pretty rude. I’m there day one once it happens though.

It just makes me think of how awesome so many arcade racers could be. I’m going to have to get some Gamecube arcade racers going in 3D tonight on nreal to satisfy this itch now!

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh for sure that is incredible! Unfortunately there’s no backwards compatibility on psvr2 and that setup is way too cumbersome. The way Sony hasn’t ported some of their stuff over to psvr2 is pretty rude. I’m there day one once it happens though.

It just makes me think of how awesome so many arcade racers could be. I’m going to have to get some Gamecube arcade racers going in 3D tonight on nreal to satisfy this itch now!

There was a rumor regarding F-Zero GX coming to Switch at some point.  I would definitely be in for that as I've never played it.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you're serious about emulating old arcade racers, I highly recommend trying Supermodel, which emulates SEGA's Model 3 arcade architecture.  It's the only way to play Daytona USA 2, and the best way to play Sega Rally 2.  If you aren't familiar with it already, this is a great setup guide:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

If you're serious about emulating old arcade racers, I highly recommend trying Supermodel, which emulates SEGA's Model 3 arcade architecture.  It's the only way to play Daytona USA 2, and the best way to play Sega Rally 2.  If you aren't familiar with it already, this is a great setup guide:

I got those roms and they weren’t working in Mame so ty!

I've put a few hours in Ridge Racer Unbounded since it's less than $3 during the Steam Sale.  I didn't know this was available on PC!  I understand it's very divisive for RR fans, but after playing this for a while, I highly recommend it.  Very, very solid arcade racing.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1676374201
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The latest title in the RIDGE RACER franchise, RIDGE RACER Unbounded gears up to carve its own destructive path with a new breed of arcade racing.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, ShreddieMercury said:

I've put a few hours in Ridge Racer Unbounded since it's less than $3 during the Steam Sale.  I didn't know this was available on PC!  I understand it's very divisive for RR fans, but after playing this for a while, I highly recommend it.  Very, very solid arcade racing.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1676374201
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The latest title in the RIDGE RACER franchise, RIDGE RACER Unbounded gears up to carve its own destructive path with a new breed of arcade racing.

Yeah this is pretty fun! I’m surprised how nice it looks actually. Looks slick at 165fps on my laptop and the destruction is rad. Awesome find, it’s a great pick up at $3.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody played Road Redemption?  It's only $6 on Steam, and seems pretty awesome.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1688187760
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Road Redemption lets you lead a biker gang on an epic journey across the country in this driving combat road rage adventure. Huge campaign, dozens of weapons, full 4-player co-op splitscreen and online multiplayer.

Ballistic NG

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1670079948
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

BallisticNG is a high speed, all thrills anti-gravity combat racer and open modding environment developed as a tribute to old school classics such as Wipeout, Rollcage and Jet Moto.

Available on Steam @Dre801

Positives: Perfectly recreates and just about outdoes the PS1-era Wipeout games.  Stunning soundtrack.  Extensive mod support.  Negatives: Hard to determine.

Fast RMX

662268b2df3d358fb18a4c730c0adf942c8988d9
WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Race through a futuristic sci-fi world at incredible speeds in FAST RMX. Jump into the driver’s seat of your anti-gravity vehicle and put your skills to the test in high octane competitions. Play locally with three of your friends in splitscreen or onlin…

Switch

Positives: super fun track design, excellent sense of speed.  Superb performance on Switch.  Negatives: A bit soulless.  Not much in the way of game modes or progression.

Pure

WWW.XBOX.COM

PURE is an offroad trick-racing game featuring incredible tricks and massive, vertigo-inducing jumps. Leap hundreds of feet into the air - off mountains, over lakes and across gaping chasms in epic worldwide locations. Pull off over 70 different tricks and build over 100,000 different custom quad bikes. It's all about speed, air and incredible tricks. PURE Adrenaline!

Disc Only on Xbox, De-listed on PC

Positives: Excellent handling, fun customization, great tracks.  Negatives: Disc only.  No graphical or performance enhancements on console.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out. It's one of the final (the final?) games with gold games. Looks like Auto Modellista

WWW.XBOX.COM

Forget everything you know about drifting. Set in a 90's retro future, Inertial Drift is an Arcade Racer with a devastatingly unique handling model and unbelievably satisfying twin-stick drift mechanics. Inertial Drift offers a whole new level of accessibility and challenge to the arcade racing genre - for a driving experience genuinely unlike anything you've played before

• 6 months later...

Bumping this because New Star GP hits 1.0 and comes to consoles next week.  I've been playing it in early access, and it's a phenomenal game top to bottom.  It has, no exaggeration, the most fun and well designed campaign in any racing game I think I've played. 

The racing itself is fantastic, reminiscent of Virtua Racing but with dynamic and aggressive AI, boosting, and slipstreaming opponents.  On top of that are very light management mechanics that add a ton of complexity to the game without making it overbearing.  You have to change tires and fuel, and adjust your strategy depending on the length/complexity of the track and weather.  The campaign is split into decades spanning the 1980's to 2020's, and each decade has a separate set of opponents and races.  Off the track you have to manage your relationships with your team, upgrade your car, and select different perks that affect how you play the game.  Again, these elements are extremely well thought-out and do not bog the player down at any point from my experience.  The design is air-tight, and everything is in service of making the game fun.

Easily the best early access game I've supported, and one of this generation's best arcade racers.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

New Star GP is a fast and exciting arcade motorsport game with crisp retro visuals. Play career mode and work your way through decades of racing while upgrading your car and your support team... or chase high scores in championship mode on your own or in split-screen with up to three friends!

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Same developer made those games.

Top Racer AKA Top Gear was only on SNES while the Lotus games were on Genesis

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge was an Amiga game I played several years before the SNES came out.  Makes sense.

Looked into it.  Nope.  Magnetic Fields (Shaun Southern, Andrew Morris) who developed Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (and Lotus 2/3) had nothing to do with Top Racer/Top Gear.  Despite what the unattributed description on Wikipedia says -- their publisher (Gremlin Graphics) did though.

12 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

If you like racing games in any way, I can't recommend New Star GP enough.  The full version is out now, and it's probably the most fun racer I've played this generation.

Picked this up and it seems pretty damn good. The campaign seems well done and I’m just a sucker for that blue skies Sega arcade look. I really hope they do a VR port of this, it would be perfect for that and could probably easily run on a stand alone Quest 2/3 and look amazing.

Also picked this up:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Ready for the aggressive, adrenaline-filled ride that leaves you breathless? FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage Collector's Edition is all about destructive action. With carnage modes like the Deathmatch derby...

They just released this version today. Bug fixes, added achievements and removed GFWL so it works on modern machines and made sure it is now deck verified. Also on sale for $4 or free if you own the original!

• Like 1

Road Redemption, a Road Rash-like by the makers of the upcoming and stellar looking Kingmakers, is on sale for only $3 on Steam! Played a bit last night, seems solid and has a good amount of content.