How a Whites-Only Group Plans To Turn Rural Tennessee Into Its Homeland

On 6/17/2023 at 6:21 PM, CitizenVectron said:

lol. Explains your beliefs.

What are those beliefs, please tell me?

im a center-left capitalist like most people out there. I have opinions that go far to both sides. I’m socially liberal and fiscally conservative. 

but please, go ahead and tell me about my beliefs. Is it my support of free speech that bothers you so much? Or that I didn’t live in fear of covid (while still obeying all laws regarding it at the time?)? Or because while I’m vaccinated, I still believe in choice, just like I believe in a woman’s right to choose? Or because I believe in responsible gun ownership? C’mon, instead of snide comments, come out snd say what you mean, that you hate rural people because they won’t fall in line behind your beliefs. 

my beliefs are the norm, its you and a few here that are way out in left field pretending you represent the majority. 

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

What are those beliefs, please tell me?

im a center-left capitalist like most people out there. I have opinions that go far to both sides. I’m socially liberal and fiscally conservative. 

but please, go ahead and tell me about my beliefs. Is it my support of free speech that bothers you so much? Or that I didn’t live in fear of covid (while still obeying all laws regarding it at the time?)? Or because while I’m vaccinated, I still believe in choice, just like I believe in a woman’s right to choose? Or because I believe in responsible gun ownership? C’mon, instead of snide comments, come out snd say what you mean, that you hate rural people because they won’t fall in line behind your beliefs. 

my beliefs are the norm, its you and a few here that are way out in left field pretending you represent the majority. 

@stepee put this in the wiki.

• True 1

Growing up in the suburbs of SoCal to living in DT Toronto in a Condo. DT living FTW. So much stuff to do around me all with in walking distance and I'm not spending my weekends having to do up keep on a house.

With in 15 mins of walking I can go from this.

spacer.png

to this

spacer.png

or to this

spacer.png

How can someone be socially liberal and fiscally conservative at the same time when there's a direct line between fiscally conservative policies creating regressive social ones in turn? This is how we, in part, get systemic and institutional issues that hurt marginalized groups like women, minorities, and LGBTQIA+, etc. They are very intertwined, not siloed off and completely mutually exclusive and separate from each other.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

How can someone be socially liberal and fiscally conservative at the same time when there's a direct line between fiscally conservative policies creating regressive social ones in turn? This is how we, in part, get systemic and institutional issues that hurt marginalized groups like women, minorities, and LGBTQIA+, etc. They are very intertwined, not siloed off and completely mutually exclusive and separate from each other.

Let’s be honest, it just means people want low taxes and are for <insert progressive stance of 10 years ago> :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Let’s be honest, it just means people want low taxes and are for <insert progressive stance of 10 years ago> :p 

Well I didn't want to just come out and say it that way, but yes, I agree. :p What I find funny is Republicans talk about low taxes but only really cut taxes for the 1% or 5% top earners so why would anyone who isn't in that group align "lower taxes" with Republicans? Always found that strange.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Well I didn't want to just come out and say it that way, but yes, I agree. :p What I find funny is Republicans talk about low taxes but only really cut taxes for the 1% or 5% top earners so why would anyone who isn't in that group align "lower taxes" with Republicans? 

Personal federal income tax is only one type of tax. Take a look at state and local taxation too, an area where it is much easier to craft tax policy. Or business tax policy, which affects tons of people who aren’t at the tip top of the income ladder.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree to some extent with you, but it's a contradiction in terms practically speaking. 

It's not.  Liberalism fundamentally believes in the rights of the individual, rather than the rights of groups of people.

What many people call liberalism in the US is not what has generally been accepted as the definition of that word for hundreds of years (and still is outside of the US -- and increasingly Canada). In fact, in many cases it is the antithesis of that.

US conservatism is also not classically liberal.

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

As mentioned above, liberalism believes in the rights of the individual, equality of the individual before the law, liberty, etc.

Modern US progressivism is decidedly not liberal. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Personal federal income tax is only one type of tax. Take a look at state and local taxation too, an area where it is much easier to craft tax policy. Or business tax policy, which affects tons of people who aren’t at the tip top of the income ladder.

This is true but how many poor Republican voters are helped by those policies in turn, and do they even know about them? :p 

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's not.  Liberalism fundamentally believes in the rights of the individual, rather than the rights of groups of people.

What many people call liberalism in the US is not what has generally been accepted as the definition of that word for hundreds of years (and still is outside of the US -- and increasingly Canada). In fact, in many cases it is the antithesis of that.

US conservatism is also not classically liberal.

As mentioned above, liberalism believes in the rights of the individual, equality of the individual before the law, liberty, etc.

Modern US progressivism is decidedly not liberal. 

I agree with the definition but then you are actively choosing an ideology ("fiscally conservative") that we know hurts the rights of groups of people historically, I don't think you need to erode individual rights to help the rights of groups of people so it's still a bad ideology even if we get pedantic that the term "socially liberal" doesn't mean liberal social values towards marginalized groups but rather just to individuals (yet again, if the rights of groups of people are hurt, aren't the individuals within those groups hurt in turn? The rights of the individual are intimately and often tied to the rights of the group, hence it still being contradictory).

54 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There are some people who want to live in the city, others who prefer small towns, country living or suburbia.  It's amazing how different people have different preferences.

Yep, nothing wrong with what people prefer for themselves. I just wanted to paint a picture that DT living isn't some hell hole void of nature. :)

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

This is true but how many poor Republican voters are helped by those policies in turn, and do they even know about them? :p 

I agree with the definition but then you are actively choosing an ideology ("fiscally conservative") that we know hurts the rights of groups of people historically, I don't think you need to erode individual rights to help the rights of groups of people so it's still a bad ideology (though I suppose not contradictory) even if we get pedantic that the term "socially liberal" doesn't mean liberal social values to marginalized groups.

The Democrats would be considered fiscally conservative in most of the rest of the western world.

• True 1

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Democrats would be considered fiscally conservative in most of the rest of the western world.

I agree, I didn't say otherwise? They are less fiscally conservative than Republicans, but centrists in general suck. Most Democrats are centrists. I added to my previous post as well if that helps.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I am sure there are many who fall into the “temporarily embarrassed millionaire” camp, but I also think many of my progressive friends fundamentally misunderstand the worldview of poorer conservatives when it comes to the issue of government services and taxation.

Regardless of whether you or I agree with their position, the notion of “fairness” that they hold dissuades them from supporting systems in which those with much are forced to pay more into the collective till than those with little. Even if that means they themselves have access to less stuff, it is what is fair in their minds.

Personally, I think that is too narrow a view of what fairness is or should be, but I was born into that world and fully understand the perspective. 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am sure there are many who fall into the “temporarily embarrassed millionaire” camp, but I also think many of my progressive friends fundamentally misunderstand the worldview of poorer conservatives when it comes to the issue of government services and taxation.

Regardless of whether you or I agree with their position, the notion of “fairness” that they hold dissuades them from supporting systems in which those with much are forced to pay more into the collective till than those with little. Even if that means they themselves have access to less stuff, it is what is fair in their minds.

Personally, I think that is too narrow a view of what fairness is or should be, but I was born into that world and fully understand the perspective. 

I completely agree with you - but their "version" of fairness (which is not fair by any measure) is hamstringing the rest of us. I wouldn't care otherwise but their views are holding us back. I agree with you they think "those with more" are being "forced" to pay more into the collective, but really, they are paying proportionally (or at least that's the thinking). Fairness is proportional, not just splitting things evenly across everyone. 

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think there are maybe like three people in the US who fall in the temporarily embarrassed millionaire camp and vote Republican for that reason. An honest observation of these lower income individuals who vote Republican is they just don’t like government interference for the most part. They’re free to think that, unfortunately. Since ultimately that leads to them voting for monsters and hurting all of us in turn. 

• Halal 1

Part of the whole problem is that the mainstream popular right in America is tilted far to the right so much that our left politicians try to pander to an imaginary center that is somewhere in between absolute fucking bat shit insane and moderate right wing. 

But it doesn’t matter arguing this sort of thing  with apoc when he fails to even check his own lore book thoroughly enough to remember to leave out the “ou” in key words.

• Halal 3