Playstation Showcase May 24 (PS5, PSVR2, rumored to have big announcements, 1 hour)

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

What makes this a Sony conference and not Microsoft is the fact that the games behind all those CG trailer will all actually get released 👀

There hasn't been as much precedent as of late for Sony running with CG trailers.  So jokes aside, it's not a good look.

I wanted to be much more excited by Haven's project.  If there was a reason to buy out the developer, we didn't see it today.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Via Microsoft:

7BJzhCk.jpg

There's a few notable omissions that may not come (MGS Collection, Phantom Blade 0, Sword of the Sea, expected ones like FFXVI).  But it goes to show why you shouldn't make a console's press event a multi-platform showcase.

This conference just turned into a wonderful trailer for Gamepass :p 

11 hours ago, johnny said:

did sony hype this up? every time sony does a showcase ppl hype it up and they show like a couple cool things at most. and ppl are like hey what the fuck? and sony usually has a blog post that if people read would calm the expectations down 

First showcase in two years from Sony, people SHOULD have expectations. 

We wanted to know what Sony was giving us, and we got nothing, with release dates for nothing. It was a show of cg trailers, the majority of which we won’t see before the end of 2024. 

There was good stuff, but aside from Spider-Man, none of it was first party. Like Paperclyp said, this is their E3 show. I mean, after FFXVI and Spider-Man, the most actual gameplay we got is Plucky Squire.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

First showcase in two years from Sony, people SHOULD have expectations. 

We wanted to know what Sony was giving us, and we got nothing, with release dates for nothing. It was a show of cg trailers, the majority of which we won’t see before the end of 2024. 

There was good stuff, but aside from Spider-Man, none of it was first party. Like Paperclyp said, this is their E3 show. I mean, after FFXVI, MGS, and Spider-Man, the most actual gameplay we got is Plucky Squire.

They had a show last year, but they managed expectations from the onset, saying it was focused on 3rd party and PSVR2.  They should have said the same this year, if this was what it had to be.

Oddly enough, they still had bigger 1st party announcements at Geoff’s than anything yesterday.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They had a show last year, but they managed expectations from the onset, saying it was focused on 3rd party and PSVR2.  They should have said the same this year, if this was what it had to be.

Oddly enough, they still had bigger announcements at Geoff’s than anything yesterday.

They had shows, but this is the first Sony branded showcase in 2 years (621 days to be specific). When Sony is having a showcase, people expect it to be a huge, Sony studios focused event. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

They had shows, but this is the first Sony branded showcase in 2 years (621 days to be specific). When Sony is having a showcase, people expect it to be a huge, Sony studios focused event. 

They've technically been having Sony-branded State of Play's every few months.  So I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at.

In terms of them having an 'E3' digital presser, which I think is what you mean, yes, people should expect more first party games.  Not just CG trailers of 1st party announcements.  Or cross-gen titles that do little to sell us on the new gen.  Or coasting off DLC.  The same applies to Microsoft, and will for Nintendo as they transition to a Switch successor.

I don't think the industry as a whole has been very good at this since the PS5 and Series X were first announced.  It's not just that E3 as an institution is dead.  It's that there's no pressure to put on a big 1st party summer show when their consoles still sell boatloads regardless and subscriptions deals are a growing focus.

Nintendo's probably been the most consistent.  I suppose that because they still have to sell people on games that they don't devalue, they have a bit more reason to care.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They've technically been having Sony-branded State of Play's every few months.  So I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at.

In terms of them having an 'E3' digital presser, which I think is what you mean, yes, people should expect more first party games.  Not just CG trailers of 1st party announcements.  Or coasting off DLC.  Or cross-gen games that do little to sell us on the new gen.  The same applies to Microsoft, and will for Nintendo as they transition to a Switch successor.

I don't think the industry as a whole has been very good at this since the PS5 and Series X were first announced.  It's not just that E3 as an institution is dead.  It's that they feel no pressure to put on a big 1st party summer show when their consoles still sell boatloads regardless and subscriptions deals are such a focus.

State of Play is a separate, smaller event. Sony Showcases have typically been big first party events, not 3rd party  cg trailers. 

It has nothing to do with E3, tnis is not what people expect from the “Sony Showcase” branded events. 

Maybe you’re fine with it, but mostly everyone else is very disappointed. 

playstation5-blogroll-1646831852749.jpg?
WWW.IGN.COM

We’re looking back at the history of State of Play thus far, chronicling every event and highlighting the biggest announcements from each to give you a better idea of what to...

This shows the difference. I don’t expect you to read all that, but look at previous showcases versus this one.

again, State of Play are usually smaller with a specific focus. Historically Sony blows their load at these Showcase branded events. If this is their load for the next two years, it’s going to be very slow for PlayStation fans.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

State of Play is a separate, smaller event. Sony Showcases have typically been big first party events, not 3rd party  cg trailers. 

It has nothing to do with E3, tnis is not what people expect from the “Sony Showcase” branded events. 

Maybe you’re fine with it, but mostly everyone else is very disappointed. 

playstation5-blogroll-1646831852749.jpg?
WWW.IGN.COM

We’re looking back at the history of State of Play thus far, chronicling every event and highlighting the biggest announcements from each to give you a better idea of what to...

This shows the difference. I don’t expect you to read all that, but look at previous showcases versus this one.

again, State of Play are usually smaller with a specific focus. Historically Sony blows their load at these Showcase branded events. If this is their load for the next two years, it’s going to be very slow for PlayStation fans.

You're right that I really don't care about the difference between a 'State of Play' and 'Showcase.'  Because whatever they call it, there's a built in expectation of a big summer gaming event after decades of conditioning with E3 press conferences.  This is when they're supposed to put their best foot forward, because if they don't, their competitors could.

The only thing I'd downplay expectations for is when they themselves temper it.  As they did last year, saying there wouldn't be much 1st party stuff.

• True 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

You're right that I really don't care about the difference between a 'State of Play' and 'Showcase.'  Because whatever they call it, there's a built in expectation of a big summer gaming event after decades of conditioning.  This is when they're supposed to put their best foot forward, because if they don't, their competitors may.

Thjs is the first time where after the next big first party single player game comes out, we have absolutely no indication of what’s coming from first party for the next two years. 

Now is time for MS to strike with big single player games and dates, because as of now Sony has nothing after Spiderman, and I expect Nintendo to swing big this fall with a Super Switch, next gen 3D mario, and an updated TotK. At least I hope. 

Thjs is the first time where after the next big first party single player game comes out, we have absolutely no indication of what’s coming from first party for the next two years. 

What's funny here is how often CG trailers are forgotten, or dismissed as being too far from release.  But hey, they could always pull a Redfall and have Concord and Fairgame$ out in two years. :p 

Concord is actually announced as 2024 too.  Get your hopes up, lol.

Now is time for MS to strike with big single player games and dates, because as of now Sony has nothing after Spiderman, and I expect Nintendo to swing big this fall with a Super Switch, next gen 3D mario, and an updated TotK. At least I hope. 

The time for Microsoft to strike with big 1st party single player games was the first Xbox Series X games presentation.

Let's just hope Nintendo's learned their lessons about console transitions as they say they have.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You're right that I really don't care about the difference between a 'State of Play' and 'Showcase.'  Because whatever they call it, there's a built in expectation of a big summer gaming event after decades of conditioning with E3 press conferences.  This is when they're supposed to put their best foot forward, because if they don't, their competitors could.

The only thing I'd downplay expectations for is when they themselves temper it.  As they did last year, saying there wouldn't be much 1st party stuff.

I think you're assuming that game companies will continue to market like they did in the pre-online world, with a big focus on a summer showcase like e3.

There is a lot to be said about spreading out the news across the year, and building hype for the games coming out in the short term to actually drive sales.  I don't think this is the first year that the big companies have been doing this -- it's not really a new phenomenon.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

What's funny here is how often CG trailers are forgotten, or dismissed as being too far from release.  But hey, they could always pull a Redfall and have Concord and Fairgame$ out in two years. :p 

Concord is actually announced as 2024 too.  Get your hopes up, lol.

The time for Microsoft to strike with big single player games was the first Xbox Series X games presentation.

Let's just hope Nintendo's learned their lessons as they say they have.

I mean, yes that would have been a great time, but a slew of big games with dates would be absolutely big for them. People care about games, and if MS canndate stuff like Hellblade 2, Fable, and a couple of other big games over the next year, it would be huge.

as for Fairgames, I have no interest in online multiplayer games outside of Destiny 2 and Diablo 4, but thats just me. But I still don’t expect anything there in the next 12 months except for a few indie games. 

Even from the cg trailers, very little at the show made me excited.

Phantom Blade looks interesting, I know ill enjoy Snake Eater. The VR section was awful, and we already knew re4 vr was coming. Granblue and Plucky Squire are the only things im interested in that I expect to drop before late 2024z

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think you're assuming that game companies will continue to market like they did in the pre-online world, with a big focus on a summer showcase like e3.

There is a lot to be said about spreading out the news across the year, and building hype for the games coming out in the short term to actually drive sales.  I don't think this is the first year that the big companies have been doing this -- it's not really a new phenomenon.

Nintendo's managed that transition extremely well.  They still impress in their summer show with 1st party titles, with a few other notable ones sprinkled in Directs throughout the year.  And generally speaking, they've been fairly quick to turn around on releases.  Maybe it took the failure of the Wii U and no split-off handheld division to get them there.  But it's working.

If Microsoft and Sony could do the same, that would be ideal.  But I have my doubts - I think they care too much about launching hardware close to each other to prioritize their pipeline being firm.  Sony did prep fairly well for the launch at least, to their credit.  It's the dry period now outside of Spider-Man 2. (... and hot damn has Insomniac done a lot for them)

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

as for Fairgames, I have no interest in online multiplayer games outside of Destiny 2 and Diablo 4, but thats just me. But I still don’t expect anything there in the next 12 months except for a few indie games. 

Even from the cg trailers, very little at the show made me excited.

Phantom Blade looks interesting, I know ill enjoy Snake Eater. The VR section was awful, and we already knew re4 vr was coming. Granblue and Plucky Squire are the only things im interested in that I expect to drop before late 2024z

It would be odd if a CG trailer for a new IP did get people excited.  You need a big franchise or super renowned studio for that.  Case in point: the MGS3 remake.  But even that has that yucky Konami aftertaste.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo's managed that transition extremely well.  They still impress in their summer show with 1st party titles, with a few other notable ones sprinkled in Directs throughout the year.  And generally speaking, they've been fairly quick turn around on releases.  Maybe it took the failure of the Wii U and the disbandment of split-off handheld division to get them there.  But it's working.

If Microsoft and Sony could do the same, that would be ideal.  But I have my doubts - I think they care too much about launching hardware close to each other to prioritize their pipeline being firm.  Sony did prep fairly well for the launch at least, to their credit.  It's the dry period now outside of Spiderman. (... and hot damn has Insomniac done a lot for them)

I think it is hard to argue with the effectiveness of Sony's marketing, given their sales success.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think it is hard to argue with the effectiveness of Sony's marketing, given their sales success.

Up to this point. As of right now, I don’t see exclusive im interested in that is coming in the 18 months after spidey, and that seems to be the general consensus online right now. Even the more exciting stuff they’ve shown is multi-platform.

and I really don’t count “coming 2024” as a valid date.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think it is hard to argue with the effectiveness Sony's marketing, given their sales success.

I don't think their marketing is as strong as their brand itself and the general momentum of the console market segment.  I'd say the same for Microsoft.  The FOMO rush of getting the new Playstation and Xbox this gen was very real.  The proportion of demand relative to what was actually offered at launch hasn't been this ridiculous since the PS2, IMO.

To Sony's credit, they've had several big releases over these past 2 and 1/2 years.  If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd like to think Microsoft would be in a much better position than they are now.

• True 1

Up to this point. As of right now, I don’t see exclusive im interested in that is coming in the 18 months after spidey, and that seems to be the general consensus online right now. Even the more exciting stuff they’ve shown is multi-platform.

Clearly you've heard of 'arrogant Sony.'  ... This probably isn't where they wanted to be for yerterday's show.  But they're also in a position to coast a bit if they want. 

I'm more concerned about them trying to step away too far from what they've been good at, with multiplayer projects.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't think their marketing is as strong as their brand itself and the general momentum of the console market segment.  I'd say the same for Microsoft.  The FOMO rush of getting the new Playstation and Xbox this gen was very real.  The proportion of demand relative to what was actually offered at launch hasn't been this ridiculous since the PS2, IMO.

To Sony's credit, they've had several big releases over these past 2 and 1/2 years.  If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd like to think Microsoft would be in a much better position than they are now.

Clearly you've heard of 'arrogant Sony.'  ... This probably isn't where they wanted to be for today's show.  But they're also in a position to coast a bit if they want. 

I'm more concerned about them trying to step away too far from what they've been good at, with multiplayer projects.

60% of their budget is now GaaS. What that percentage means in dollars id unknown, but it really does seem they are forgetting what got them here.

• Halal 1

Modern game development is in a really precarious place right now.  The expectations are higher than they have ever been for video games given their huge market, while the costs and length of development necessary to meet those expectations in the AAA space grows and grows.  And sadly it seems that even when the games do come, the bread has mostly been buttered by insidious monetization.  COVID surely had a huge impact on lots of stuff in the pipeline for all of the major players, but at this point I would have expected to see a much more diverse and interesting lineup of games than we've gotten. 

At least Alan Wake II looks great.

• True 1

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Given the strength of their recent sales (the first quarter of this year, and the holiday season)n-- and the fact that these have been achieved without discounting are really impressive.  Particularly given the context of other categories being down so much (i.e. computer and computer component sales being down ~30%).

Keep in mind Marketing includes the product (Promotion is only 1 of the 5 Ps)-- keeping a consistent level of good content is part of what Sony has done better than anyone else.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Given the strength of their recent sales (the first quarter of this year, and the holiday season)n-- and the fact that these have been achieved without discounting are really impressive.  Particularly given the context of other categories being down so much (i.e. computer and computer component sales being down ~30%).

Keep in mind Marketing includes the product (Promotion is only 1 of the 5 Ps)-- keeping a consistent level of good content is part of what Sony has done better than anyone else.

And they have showed no consistent first party games after Spiderman.

24 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Games remain a popular category.  They've released good big games.  Consoles are a value currently.  They're the leading brand.  They're successfully selling new games at $70, and aren't cannibalizing early sales with a day one subscription.

It's that simple.

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And they have showed no consistent first party games after Spiderman.

They were consistent for nearly 3 years from launch without a pronounced dry spell.

I think it's clear this wasn't their year to show things, presuming Geoff doesn't have anything more.  CG trailers are a dead giveaway.

I came into this conference wondering what Sony has in store past Spiderman 2 for ps5 and for psvr2 in general. They managed to maintain that excitement of the unknown after the show ended so I consider it a solid show for fans of mystery.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why do they need to?  What is the marketing advantage of showing games years out?

If I was looking for a console right now, and xbox put on a great show after this mess, I would very likely buy the xbox instead.

Console momentum relies on the hype of upcoming games, snd that has what has driven the base for years now. You have to have a road map to drive interest.

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

If I was looking for a console right now, and xbox put on a great show after this mess, I would very likely buy the xbox instead.

Console momentum relies on the hype of upcoming games, snd that has what has driven the base for years now. You have to have a road map to drive interest.

I don't think that is the case.

A roadmap MAY be influential around launch, but most enthusiasts have already bought into at least one of the ecosystems.

If you're making a choice now, I would suppose the existing library (and games coming out over the next few months) is probably more interesting than announcements that are more than a year out.  Does the opportunity to play GoW:Ragnarok, Horizon: FW, Gran Turismo, Spider-Man 2 really influence someone less than if a CG trailer for Marvel's Wolverine gets shown?

• True 1