Playstation Showcase May 24 (PS5, PSVR2, rumored to have big announcements, 1 hour)

SaysWho?

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't think that is the case.

A roadmap MAY be influential around launch, but most enthusiasts have already bought into at least one of the ecosystems.

If you're making a choice now, I would suppose the existing library (and games coming out over the next few months) is probably more interesting than announcements that are more than a year out.  Does the opportunity to play GoW:Ragnarok, Horizon: FW, Gran Turismo, Spider-Man 2 really influence someone less than if a CG trailer of Marvel's Wolverine get shown?

This.

There's still something to be said for future lineup hype.  But if there's any takeaway here, its that CG announcements hardly move the needle.  Microsoft did a ton of that at the start of this gen, but what people generally went for was what was material.  Now Sony's getting their own shit for falling back on it.

Smoke & mirrors is stupid.  These companies should resist the temptation to do it, and instead set expectations accordingly.

Fairgame%24---CGI-Reveal-Trailer-_-PS5-%
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

We're still a month away from the period formerly known as E3, but last night's PlayStation Showcase was designed to ki…

We're still a month away from the period formerly known as E3, but last night's PlayStation Showcase was designed to kick off the summer announcement season in style. More importantly for PlayStation 5 owners, it felt like the moment for Sony to detail its next wave of big PS5 exclusives - the ones PlayStation boss Jim Ryan seemed to tease early on in the proceedings, when discussing how developers were only just scratching the surface of what PS5 could produce.

What might Sony have in store? Expectations were sky high following a string of blockbusters over the past few years, all of which were largely detailed before the console's launch. What was next? Sony told us a few game names, showed a few CGI trailers, but ultimately these were just glimpses. CGI showreels provided a look at the multiplatform Marathon reboot from Bungie and the colourful if slightly Saints Row-feeling Fairgame$ from Haven. A 50-second title reveal of Firewalk Studios' Concord showed us even less.

These were the faintest of outlines for Sony's 2024 schedule, with Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 still positioned as this year's remaining big launch (although that, too, struck something of an odd chord, with still no release date locked in).

• True 2
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This.

There's still something to be said for future lineup hype.  But if there's any takeaway here, its that CG announcements hardly move the needle.  Microsoft did a ton of that at the start of this gen, but what people went for was what was material.

Smoke & mirrors is stupid and these companies should resist the temptation to do it, and instead set expectations accordingly.

I think there was a time that they did, I just don't think they do now.

I get that some gamers want the old e3 experience (particularly gaming websites that used to thrive on the traffic), I just don't think it is still the most effective way of actually selling games.

20 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This.

There's still something to be said for future lineup hype.  But if there's any takeaway here, its that CG announcements hardly move the needle.  Microsoft did a ton of that at the start of this gen, but what people generally went for was what was material.  Now Sony's getting their own shit for falling back on it.

Smoke & mirrors is stupid.  These companies should resist the temptation to do it, and instead set expectations accordingly.

I think the difference between when CG moved the needle and now was at the time CG was still new and cool. Even with those, their was still progress being made which added a little to the cool factor. Now, CG is everywhere and no one cares.

I wonder: is the average viewer of these things keeping a tally of who is publishing each game and whether or not they’re exclusive? I don’t know how many people care about Sony maintaining momentum or whatever, or if they just want to see some upcoming games. 

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I wonder: is the average viewer of these things keeping a tally of who is publishing each game and whether or not they’re exclusive? I don’t know how many people care about Sony maintaining momentum or whatever, or if they just want to see some upcoming games. 

I think most "average viewers" assume it's a game they can only get on Playstation. I mean Hogwarts helped sell a lot of Playstations. I didn't hear about any stories of people buying an Xbox to play it even though you can play it on Xbox.

* If by average viewer you mean total casual person, and I doubt a casual will sit and watch an hour long playstation thing.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I think the "average viewer" of these things is interested in seeing Sony's own projects at a Sony showcase.  The people who aren't invested in that likely aren't watching this live, or in its totality.  They might catch a trailer or two after the show.

Probably just Spider-Man 2 gameplay.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think most "average viewers" assume it's a game they can only get on Playstation. I mean Hogwarts helped sell a lot of Playstations. I didn't hear about any stories of people buying an Xbox to play it even though you can play it on Xbox.

Don't think people are that dumb. This point used to be argued all the time about CoD, as if Microsoft/Sony were slighting each other by showing it off on their stage first.  The fact that they both stopped doing it with that franchise says something about how much marketing deals matter. 

I also doubt Hogwarts sold poorly on Series consoles.  If its pushing Playstation's, it's more likely because Sony did enough outside of that marketing deal to take a mindshare lead, or to keep people in their ecosystem.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Project Q is just a Wii-U tablet.

Hey, if they can get it working as well as that did with its latency, I could see myself being curious at least.

But if they're not building some secret sauce into it that fixes Remote Play's shortcomings, its a hard no for me.