Playstation Showcase May 24 (PS5, PSVR2, rumored to have big announcements, 1 hour)

SaysWho?

On 5/17/2023 at 10:24 AM, Brian said:

things I am excited for.

Locks: 

Spiderman 2 

Astrobot 2  

PSVR2 bundle with Astrobot 2

MGS Remake

PS5 streaming handheld

Long shots:

PS5 Pro

Wolverine trailer

GoT 2

GoW 2 DLC

The only Lock I missed was Astrobot 2. 
Curb Your Enthusiasm Jewish GIF

• Haha 1

There was a lot of cool stuff here! Only thing that sets it back is I wish there were more Playstation Studios updates -- Naughty Dog, Santa Monica's new IP, Sony London, Team Asobi, Bluepoint, Media Molecule, etc. I can kind of understand Santa Monia since they released GOW: Ragnarok half a year ago.

Otherwise, Helldivers was an underrated gem last gen so I look forward to this next one! 

This was pretty much a typical Microsoft conference outside of Spider-Man 2.  Yup, I said that right.

New IP from new studio announced with a CG trailer.  Legacy franchises brought back with CG trailers.  3rd party showcase of games that could be really awesome, but may have little to do with the platform holder.  Updates on games we’ve already seen too much from already.  Many previously teased projects not shown.

As a show it was an okay watch.  And I’m glad PSVR2 wasn’t oversold.  But if that and the new hardware wasn’t part of it, I think could have been a great Keighly show for the industry as a whole.  And that defeats the whole point IMO.

So many of these trailers could have been saved for him.  So now we’ll get to complain about that next.  Thanks Sony.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

This was pretty much a typical Microsoft conference outside of Spider-Man 2.  Yup, I said that right.

New IP from new studio announced with a CG trailer.  Legacy franchises brought back with CG trailers.  3rd party showcase of games that could be really awesome, but may have little to do with the platform holder.  Updates on games we’ve already seen too much from already.  Many previously teased projects not shown.

As a show it was an okay watch.  And I’m glad PSVR2 wasn’t oversold.  But if that and the new hardware wasn’t part of it, I think could have been a great Keighly show for the industry as a whole.  And that defeats the whole point IMO.

Microsofts show last year was excellent. They just didn’t deliver later.

Not that you can't show third party reveals and have smaller scale games at your big showcase but how do you have a first party showcase and reveal only 3 new first party games, 2 with short CGI trailers. Only one gameplay blowout of a new first party game coming out. It was Games Pass fodder without the Games Pass. 

• Halal 1

Too much pre-rendered/scripted cutscenes not much to get hyped about.

Spiderman looked awesome though and I couldn't be more hyped about Ff16 than I already was prior to the showcase.

Phantom blade looks like it has some promise but I want to see actual gameplay not whatever tf that was.

17 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Microsofts show last year was excellent. They just didn’t deliver later.

Nope, it sure wasn’t.  It had one more extended gameplay sequence than Sony’s (Starfield and … Redfall), Pentement, and a bunch more DLC announced.

Beyond that, it was much of the same thing with 3rd parties bringing the fresh and enticing outside of the headliner.

Far from excellent.  But better than their average.  Would have been better with Hi-Fi Rush.

12 minutes ago, Dodger said:

It was Games Pass fodder without the Games Pass. 

Nail on the head.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nope, it sure wasn’t.  It had one more extended gameplay sequence than Sony’s (Starfield and … Redfall), Pentement, and a bunch more DLC announced.

Beyond that, it was much of the same thing with 3rd parties bringing the fresh and enticing outside of the headliner.

Far from excellent.  But better than their average.  Would have been better with Hi-Fi Rush.

Nail on the head.

No, sorry, xbox had a great show with great games, they just didn’t deliver any of them.

I’m generally pretty tired of these kinds of presentations. It was my fault for watching, I suppose, but it’s hard to get excited for announcements of games that might come out within the next year. I like the Nintendo Direct model a little better. Even if the games shown aren’t always exciting, it’s nice to see more gameplay and know that they’ll mostly be out soon. 

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

No, sorry, xbox had a great show with great games, they just didn’t deliver any of them.

You can keep saying it, it doesn’t make it true.  Their last summer show was not excellent, especially not in comparison to truly excellent E3 showcases (Nintendo 2004, 2014, Sony 2015, etc).  Some of their games released since have been good.

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m generally pretty tired of these kinds of presentations. It was my fault for watching, I suppose, but it’s hard to get excited for announcements of games that might come out within the next year. I like the Nintendo Direct model a little better. Even if the games shown aren’t always exciting, it’s nice to see more gameplay and know that they’ll mostly be out soon. 

It’s hard to keep a pipeline of big exciting stuff coming every year.  None of the big three companies can manage it.

With Sony, it was a matter of when they’d have to drop the ball to recoup.  This was that year.  It’s Jeff Grub’s fault for dubbing their show PS5 Phase 2 beforehand.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You can keep saying it, it doesn’t make it true.  Their last summer show was not excellent, especially not in comparison to truly excellent E3 showcases (Nintendo 2004, 2014, Sony 2015, etc).  Some of their games released since have been good.

Nonsense. 

Plague Tale, Hellblade 2, Starfie;ld, Silksong, wo long, benedict fox, dead space. That show was GREAT. 

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s hard to keep a pipeline of big exciting stuff coming every year.  None of the big three companies can manage it.

With Sony, it was a matter of when they’d have to drop the ball to recoup.  This was that year.  It’s Jeff Grub’s fault for dubbing their show PS5 Phase 2 beforehand.

I mean, Ryan literally called it that at the beginning. 

3 years in, we have nothing but Spiderman coming in the next year as of now. The show was really bad. No dates for anything.

33 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Nonsense. 

Plague Tale, Hellblade 2, Starfie;ld, Silksong, wo long, benedict fox, dead space. That show was GREAT. 

There, I bolded the games Microsoft didn’t produce (ie: fund and publish).  And I striked out the one that wasn’t in the show.

You can still like their show last year.  I liked quite a lot in Sony’s show here too.  There’s some cool stuff they also had little to do with as well.

But as a console manufacturer’s presser, this isn’t how it should be done.

Again, most of these trailers should be saved for Geoff ideally.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There, I bolded the games Microsoft didn’t produce.  And I striked out the one that wasn’t in the show.

You can like the show.  I liked quite a lot in Sony’s show too.  There’s some cool stuff in there they had little to do with as well.

But as a console manufacturer’s presser, this isn’t how it should be done.

Again, most of this stuff should be saved for Geoff ideally.

Again, were talking about the show at the time, not what it produced later. At the time, that show was fantastic. Nobody could haveknown it would all fall apart. 

It was objectively a great show, and obviously followed by an awful year. 

ShowcaseGamesLineup_Inline-148e5839300bc

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, Ryan literally called it that at the beginning. 

3 years in, we have nothing but Spiderman coming in the next year as of now. The show was really bad. No dates for anything.

That’s fair.  I won’t defend this show.  Just call it out whenever you see it.  All three of the manufacuters have been guilty of this before, and will be again.

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Again, were talking about the show at the time, not what it produced later. At the time, that show was fantastic. Nobody could haveknown it would all fall apart. 

It was objectively a great show, and obviously followed by an awful year. 

ShowcaseGamesLineup_Inline-148e5839300bc

We have different metrics of great shows for the console manufacturers.  A wall list of all the great games coming from everybody isn’t what I look for.  Especially not when multiplatform is the norm.

Nintendo used to produce logo walls like this in their down years to distract from their problems.  That should say it all.

did sony hype this up? every time sony does a showcase ppl hype it up and they show like a couple cool things at most. and ppl are like hey what the fuck? and sony usually has a blog post that if people read would calm the expectations down 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

did sony hype this up? every time sony does a showcase ppl hype it up and they show like a couple cool things at most. and ppl are like hey what the fuck? and sony usually has a blog post that if people read would calm the expectations down 

From what I understand this is as close as we’re getting to an E3 press conference from Sony so it had a fair degree of hype warranted. 

• Halal 1