Florida Democrats dance with Florida Republicans after Repubs sign anti-trans bathroom bill.

It sounds like Democrats started an impromptu dance in order to create "joy" in a tough workplace. Well...it's still inappropriate when your workplace is taking away some people's right to exist. Elected politicians, especially at the state/provincial level are some of the dumbest morons on the planet. Rich and connected enough to win office, but not talented enough to achieve federal office.

• True 3
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I’m more of an Electric Slide guy myself. Or the new one where you go “to the left, take it back ya’ll, one hop this time”.

Cha-Cha-Slide gets’em going, for sure

REVERSE, REVERSE

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

How dare people dance and try to have some levity in their daily lives?

The context in which this expression of so-called "levity" is so ludicrously tone deaf as to be farcical.

To hell with anyone who thought this was even remotely a good idea at that time and in that place.  To hell with them all.

• Halal 3

40 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

How dare people dance and try to have some levity in their daily lives?

This is a big nothingburger. 

Okay cool, so during the holocaust the German opposition (such as it was) would have been cool to dance in the aisles in order to bring some joy to their depressing lives? Come on. Messaging matters just as much as policy.

Sadly this isn't that surprising, though of course it should change. I mean, think on your own personal lives - most of the people I've known or do know associate themselves with people who have done some pretty shitty things. Husbands or wives I know who have done shitty things, but yet retain and keep family and friends. From lying to lock someone in a marriage when they know they don't do divorce, to not helping your wife with your first child for 1.5 years at all and not bonding with that child at all either to going to jail twice and being a relapsing alcoholic with no prospects, and on and on. Yet all of these people I know, ostensibly "bad" people who need accountability, are not punished at all. They keep their friends and family, have more kids, and move on with life.

If people can't be held accountable by those closest to them in our small interior lives, I certainly don't expect it on any bigger scale. This is absolutely something that should not have happened. But people worry about benign awkwardness as adults (bizarre) over taking a stand over anything. People worry about not looking bipartisan over actually standing up for anything. Social niceties are so much more important to people than doing the right thing so the wrong things get papered over constantly because of "polite society" and shit.

Politics are really depressing right now for any sane Floridian. If you think it's bad having to read about it imagine actually living here. This dancing incident is infuriating that fed-up Floridians and every one of them should lose their jobs. This is dire and reacting to it by dancing is a message that they aren't taking any of this seriously.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kamusha said:

You can tell a lot about a person based on how flippant they react to someone's rights being taken away.

There's a difference between MY being flippant because I'm just a cog in the machine and a nihilist with no power, vs. someone who actually does have the platform and power to enact change.

When I act flippant about people getting their rights taken away, it's a coping mechanism. When they do it, it's a problem. It should be understood when you take public office that you don't get to joke about people being subjugated anymore. Because you are participating in the subjugating.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From my perspective, it should be understood when you take public office that you don't get to joke about anything at all.

:thinking:

... Yeah, fair enough, I don't like it when my elected officials try to make jokes, as a general rule.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:31 PM, Fizzzzle said:

There's a difference between MY being flippant because I'm just a cog in the machine and a nihilist with no power, vs. someone who actually does have the platform and power to enact change.

When I act flippant about people getting their rights taken away, it's a coping mechanism. When they do it, it's a problem. It should be understood when you take public office that you don't get to joke about people being subjugated anymore. Because you are participating in the subjugating.

You weren't being flippant in this thread. And I do agree there is a difference, as a comedian myself I constantly use humor as a way to cope. But you can tell a difference in who is being flippant to cope and who is being flippant because they don't give a shit about trans people having their rights taken away.