Multiplayer FPS War Crimes?

Remarkableriots

8wCKKBxPFeRgubMZaaz8bE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The organisation's Play By The Rules campaign has four simple steps to keep yourself out of the Hague.

The world-renowned humanitarian organisation has drawn up a set of rules for us to follow in online FPSes, and is "challenging you to play FPS by the real Rules of War, to show everyone that even wars have rules". There are four rules in total, which are:

No Thirsting: I thought this was about Instagram likes at first, but no, this actually means you can't shoot people while they're down, as that would violate real-life rules of war that protect prisoners from "violence, intimidation,  and ill treatment".

No Targeting Non-violent NPCs: If your favourite FPS features non-hostile NPCs, you're gonna have to fit your war in around them and leave them unharmed. Real-life statues protect civilians from attack, after all.

No targeting civilian buildings: You can't blow up their houses, either. Luckily, architectural deformation hasn't been much of a thing since Red Faction: Guerilla, so it's probably pretty easy not to violate this one.

Use medkits on everyone: In real life, the rules of war stipulate that the wounded on both sides must be cared for, so prepare to baffle your opponents as you crouch to stitch them up immediately after blowing their kneecaps off.

I dont mind games applying an ROE if theres civilians on the battlefield… the problem is the “game” version of those mechanics never go deep enough.. if turning a village of NPCs hostile affects the gameplay and has consequences it would be great, but all games give you an out.. having mechanics where you have to treat and/or extract the wounded is more gameplay… bug people dont really want that.. they want the faster gameplay loop of “shoot everything”

I didn’t shoot any civilians during the “No Russian” mission. Not PvP, but I thought the choice was interesting. 

anyways, this is a little dumb for a PvP game. It would be like if Boxing had a rule where you could hit anyone unless they hit you. Every match would end in a draw. 

Red Cross should go identify real war crimes and not waste effort on fake ones. 

While not an FPS, Gears had execution, the best game mode, and in execution, you had to kill enemies while they were down. That's the point of the game mode, Execution. Well, unless you gibbed them or got a headshot, then you didn't have to execute them as they were already dead and in more than one piece.

44 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Red Cross should go identify real war crimes and not waste effort on fake ones. 

Well, I don't think the Red Cross identifying war crimes would do very much because like in shooters, no one gives a fuck about real-life war crimes. I think they're hoping to possibly prevent a war crime or two from people who play shooters and join the military (which is actually an alarmingly high amount of people) with this line: 

The world-renowned humanitarian organisation has drawn up a set of rules for us to follow in online FPSes, and is "challenging you to play FPS by the real Rules of War, to show everyone that even wars have rules".

They don't actually care if you do this shit in games, they're just trying to make a point. Is it a good point? Fuck if I know, but I bet 90% of people in any given CoD match don't know what rules of engagement or war crimes even are so... mayyybe?