Variety: Desperate for Profits and Souring on Streaming, Hollywood Falls Back in Love With Movie Theaters

mario-bros-kart-1.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=
VARIETY.COM

Theaters are finally looking like its pre-pandemic self again as studios reassess the value of a theatrical release.

Logan’s theaters aren’t the only ones experiencing a dramatic change of fortunes. Overall, the domestic box office stands at $2.3 billion, up 36.8% from the same period last year and an astounding 589.5% improvement over 2021, according to Comscore. The exhibition industry is finally looking like its pre-pandemic self again. That’s partly attributable to studios releasing new installments of successful franchises, but it is also linked to a shift in attitude among the major media companies when assessing the value of a theatrical release.

Everybody is pleased with where things are at the moment and if the release calendar holds up, we should see a very pre-Covid tally by year’s end.

Cinemacon in a couple of weeks is going to be quite the celebration 🥰

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Tell them to Disney Mandalorian stuff!

Oh yeah, I mentioned elsewhere that the entire streaming economy is broken because Netflix at one point was the only player and they could sign deals with companies like Disney and get most of their catalog (including first run movies hitting home video) for $50 million a year. Compare that to the cost of a season on Mandalorian at $15ish million PER EPISODE, and you start to see why these low prices don’t work if the studios are going to pump out as much content as consumers have come to expect.

The streamers will have to find a balance somehow and I also think some studios will have to ditch original programming on their services and instead move to just be a warehouse of the content they make first for other revenue generators…or go back to just selling streaming rights to platforms like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, but for prices that make business sense for both sides.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:30 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I, for one, am not entirely displeased to see the demise of the "Golden Age" of streaming.

There are some benefits but I agree. I also very much still prefer the physical media over streaming, and I think Disney was even thinking the same on some physical disc releases. I think they might hold back the Disney+ release time to help digital/physical sales. I also admit I haven’t been to the theatres basically since the first Sonic movie. Wanna see JW4 but I gotta find the time for the 3hrs I’m there. Glad to see them doing well again

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I, for one, am not entirely displeased to see the demise of the "Golden Age" of streaming.

I'm confused. Wade Steel prefers the movie viewing option that requires interacting with other people? 

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Also, don’t be shocked if Apple buys a smaller circuit like Landmark. I know for a fact they have been looking under the hood of a few.

Amazon has already bought the old Arclight theater in my neighborhood. Streaming isn't going anywhere, but the players will continue to shrink and consolidate. Theatrical is in an interesting place as well. Besides Blockbusters and horror films, what else is going to be successfull in theaters? 

On 4/12/2023 at 6:36 PM, silentbob said:

There are some benefits but I agree. I also very much still prefer the physical media over streaming, and I think Disney was even thinking the same on some physical disc releases. I think they might hold back the Disney+ release time to help digital/physical sales. I also admit I haven’t been to the theatres basically since the first Sonic movie. Wanna see JW3 but I gotta find the time for the 3hrs I’m there. Glad to see them doing well again

You can watch JW3 on Peacock.

So I should have bought back in to Cinemark when it was single digit and sold it again!

I'm happy with the news and don't want to see the theater go away. 

As for streaming, media companies should look back into the original concept of Hulu, that is having one platform with multiple owners.