Bought an Anbernic RG35xx

Paperclyp

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is this like a not as good Mister?

ANBERNIC.COM

RG35XX TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION Color Gray/ Transparent white/ Transparent purple Screen 3.5-inch IPS full viewing angle, OCA full lamination/ 640*480 CPU quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 GPU Quad-core PowerVR SGX544MP GPU RAM DDR3 256MB Memory storage 64GB TF/MicroSD System Linux Games Support: PS1,CPS,FBA,NEOGEO,GBA,GBC,GB,SFC

It's waaaay less diverse than a Mister. It's just a small form factor handheld. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool. I've definitely seen a lot of emulation handhelds. Seems like I come across a new one every week.

I have the GPi Case from Retroflag. It looks and feels close enough to a Gameboy which is really what matters to me. Sure, I could get a cheap "Switch" style handheld for emulation, but I'm more interested in at least a semi-authentic experience. I only play GB/GBC/GBA and GameGear games on it though.

I actually have one of these.

cd3453_9d4611b9afa44e339165af57fcf9d88e~
WWW.FUNKEY-PROJECT.COM

FunKey S | Tiny foldable retrogaming handheld console for your keychain. Play all your favourite retro games: Gameboy, GBA, SNES, Sega, Playstation, on a small, powerful and totally playable gameboy...

It is a WAY better emulator than it has any right to be. The only issue I have with it is that it's obviously using a watch screen so the aspect ratio is all wrong.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 7:59 PM, Bjomesphat said:

Pretty cool. I've definitely seen a lot of emulation handhelds. Seems like I come across a new one every week.

I have the GPi Case from Retroflag. It looks and feels close enough to a Gameboy which is really what matters to me. Sure, I could get a cheap "Switch" style handheld for emulation, but I'm more interested in at least a semi-authentic experience. I only play GB/GBC/GBA and GameGear games on it though.

The thing I like about mine is how close it resembles a gameboy. Half the time I grab it it’s just cuz I think it looks and feels so cool. 

Yes! I bought the very similar RG353P that kinda looks like an SNES controller.

I love it, for the price ($150 on Amazon) it really is a fantastic device. It even came with an SD card full of games, although I didn't use them, as I have a ton of ROMs already.

I loaded a new OS on mine, something called JELOS. It seems pretty good. I did it because some dude in a YouTube vid said it was better. I don't know a lot about these things.

Anyway, it really is a great device. JELOS is kinda clunky sometimes, and I (very rarely) get this weird bug sometimes where games slow way down and I have to restart the system... but overall, for the price, I give this thing an A+.

I mostly was using it to play Advance Wars, but I really don't use it all that much. I think this is one of those kinda things that I'm just drawn to and are unbelievably cool, but when the rubber hits the road, it's not really a thing I have much room for in my life. But again, it's cool as hell. I would have lost my mind if you showed me this thing 20-30 years ago.

RG353P.jpg?v=1678977968&width=800

6 minutes ago, ort said:

Yes! I bought the very similar RG353P that kinda looks like an SNES controller.

I love it, for the price ($150 on Amazon) it really is a fantastic device. It even came with an SD card full of games, although I didn't use them, as I have a ton of ROMs already.

I loaded a new OS on mine, something called JELOS. It seems pretty good. I did it because some dude in a YouTube vid said it was better. I don't know a lot about these things.

Anyway, it really is a great device. JELOS is kinda clunky sometimes, and I (very rarely) get this weird bug sometimes where games slow way down and I have to restart the system... but overall, for the price, I give this thing an A+.

I mostly was using it to play Advance Wars, but I really don't use it all that much. I think this is one of those kinda things that I'm just drawn to and are unbelievably cool, but when the rubber hits the road, it's not really a thing I have much room for in my life. But again, it's cool as hell. I would have lost my mind if you showed me this thing 20-30 years ago.

RG353P.jpg?v=1678977968&width=800

what can that thing emulate up to? Looks really cool. Mine is 55 bucks direct from the company but you end up paying a lot in shipping so I also went Amazon (like 80 bucks I think). My OS is garlic OS which is real good. 

I think it tops out at the Dreamcast, but not every game works... but I don't have any Dreamcast ROMs. It does PS1 and N64, but I haven't really even tried those games.

I use it for SNES games and Advance Wars (GBA).

It really is a very confusing world to be in, because it really does feel like new systems come out every single month.

It's difficult to make a choice. I remember really having a hard time deciding which one to get.. and I can't even recall exactly why I went with the one I ended up with...

I remember it was between this one and a slightly more expensive metal version and then a cheaper one...

This is my exact model...

RG353P.jpg?crop=center&height=1200&v=167
ANBERNIC.COM

RG353P Description * Color: Black transparent/ Grey * S Screen: 3.5-inch IPS full viewing angle, zero distance OCA full fit/ 640*480, multi-touch * CPU: RK3566 Quad-Core 64 bit Cortex-A55, Main frequency up to 1.8GHz * RAM: LPDDR4 2GB * Memory: Android 32GB high-speed eMMC 5.1, Linux 16GB TF, support for dual TF card expansion  ; TF1 card:16G(no game)  TF2 card:64G(compatible 4452 games)  *...

@ort

It really is, but thankfully the community is passionate enough that they dissect each release meticulously. Lots of good YouTube channels to research up. 

I’d like one that can do PS2 emulation but it’s a leap in price once you start going that route. That’ll pry be my next purchase down the road unless I get a steam deck or something. But even then I forget how nice it is to just have a device that fits in your pocket. Even the switch is like, ok I’ve gotta have a case or a bag or something to put this in. 

Went camping this week and I literally just shoved this in my pocket. 

My little niece has become very excited about Mario, so I was thinking about setting up some kind of emulation console to play when she comes over, but yeah, this is a really confusing market. That Retro Games Corps Youtube channel is great, but he seems wary to give out firm purchasing advice.

I don't care about emulating anything after the N64, and even if it was only the 2D consoles that would be fine. I do think a video out would be fun, just in case we want to play on the TV. Is the ANBERNIC RG35XX linked above a good place to start?

50 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My little niece has become very excited about Mario, so I was thinking about setting up some kind of emulation console to play when she comes over, but yeah, this is a really confusing market. That Retro Games Corps Youtube channel is great, but he seems wary to give out firm purchasing advice.

I don't care about emulating anything after the N64, and even if it was only the 2D consoles that would be fine. I do think a video out would be fun, just in case we want to play on the TV. Is the ANBERNIC RG35XX linked above a good place to start?

It does do video out, but it is not powerful enough to run N64 games FYI. It handles PS1 games very well, but keep in mind it has no analogue stick so you're best off not going after any 3D games unless they control in a specific manner. 

Anything PS1 and prior though, runs like butter. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, Paperclyp said:

@ort

It really is, but thankfully the community is passionate enough that they dissect each release meticulously. Lots of good YouTube channels to research up. 

I’d like one that can do PS2 emulation but it’s a leap in price once you start going that route. That’ll pry be my next purchase down the road unless I get a steam deck or something. But even then I forget how nice it is to just have a device that fits in your pocket. Even the switch is like, ok I’ve gotta have a case or a bag or something to put this in. 

Went camping this week and I literally just shoved this in my pocket. 

On 5/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, TwinIon said:

I enjoy Retro Game Corps, Retro Dodo, Taki Udon, and ETA Prime. The last two do a lot of more general tech hardware stuff like Mini PC's and PC handhelds, but still cover a lot of the retro handhelds as well.

I don't even own any of the systems, but I love watching the channels because it's so cool to see the variety that has blown up just since 2019, really. Like the system that @Ghost_MH posted about. I don't even like vertical or clamshell systems in general, but that is such a cool little piece of tech.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I enjoy Retro Game Corps, Retro Dodo, Taki Udon, and ETA Prime. The last two do a lot of more general tech hardware stuff like Mini PC's and PC handhelds, but still cover a lot of the retro handhelds as well.

I don't even own any of the systems, but I love watching the channels because it's so cool to see the variety that has blown up just since 2019, really. Like the system that @Ghost_MH posted about. I don't even like vertical or clamshell systems in general, but that is such a cool little piece of tech.

It's such an amazing little piece of tech. I was shocked the first time I booted up a PlayStation game and it actually worked as unplayable on that tiny screen and tiny controls may be. It's certainly a fun bit of tech to hang off a keychain.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's such an amazing little piece of tech. I was shocked the first time I booted up a PlayStation game and it actually worked as unplayable on that tiny screen and tiny controls may be. It's certainly a fun bit of tech to hang off a keychain.

It seems like the type of system that would be iffy for Action and Fighting games and the like, but pretty cool for JRPGs and Puzzle games. Even the cramped controls would be good for those genres because a lot of the best can be played in one handed mode, which is actually a plus with such a small control scheme. 

Did you see that someone is finally releasing a micro console that looks like it might be decent? Up until now everything even close to the Funkey in size has been little more than a plastic toy novelty. But Anbernic is going to be releasing the Anbernic RG Nano. It is even using the same custom Funkey OS, the Allwinner chip, and screen as the Funkey. So I am guessing it will be about on par for performance. It is basically a Funkey sized handheld that is a tiny vertical Gameboy style system instead of clamshell. Seems like it might be a bit more comfortable to hold, but I think I would still take the Funkey, If there is any handheld that I would want to be a clamshell it would be the one sloshing around in my pockets with a bunch of keys.

I've got a Retroid RP2+.  Honestly don't use it that much, just once in a while.  Started playing some Tetris again after watching the Tetris movie, just not the same as 30 years ago.  Though I guess tbf, I was in a room at work 30 years ago, so it was play Game Boy or twiddle my thumbs.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/25/2023 at 6:12 PM, Ghost_MH said:

WWW.FUNKEY-PROJECT.COM

FunKey S | Tiny foldable retrogaming handheld console for your keychain. Play all your favourite retro games: Gameboy, GBA, SNES, Sega, Playstation, on a small, powerful and totally playable gameboy...

It is a WAY better emulator than it has any right to be. The only issue I have with it is that it's obviously using a watch screen so the aspect ratio is all wrong.

This is only $72 and you get the case free right now and I love the see through light blue so I ordered one of these!

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you order one now you get the energy buttons for free if you add those to cart too!

Do you remember how long it took you to receive yours?

It took a couple of months, but mine was also from the first run of systems they released so I wouldn't take that as an example.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, Ghost_MH said:

It took a couple of months, but mine was also from the first run of systems they released so I wouldn't take that as an example.

Got it today! Not bad at all. I’m deciding if I save it for myself to open on xmas (probably not)

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 6:12 PM, Ghost_MH said:

WWW.FUNKEY-PROJECT.COM

I have it all set up and updated on the latest firmware and a bunch of games loaded on it now and I really like it! It’s definitely an awesome keychain, it’s crazy how small it is with what it can do. I tried Tekken 3 @Biggie on it and it’s insane you can play that on a keychain.

I can actually play decently enough on it and see the screen well enough to read text etc. Beyond the pure novelty I can really see using it sometimes when waiting around etc because unlike my real handhelds, I’ll actually always have this on me. Just need to remember to charge it after any extended use so it’s ready. 

Bored waiting at the doctor? Load up Castlevania Aria of sorrow! Good stuff. 

My main concern is for whatever reason I cannot get it to connect to my windows11 computers. I do have one win10 machine so I was able to use that to load stuff on it but for future use I hope I can find a way to connect to win11. But hell, even if all it did was play mario all stars + world, Kirby’s Dreamcourse, and Tetris attacks, that would still be the coolest key chain ever.

Also adding a bigger sd card to it is a lot more work than I would have figured but it makes sense with the kind of device it is. I’m going to just stick with the 32gb for now as that’s plant for this stuff really.

It is also just a great parlor trick, I’ve shown a few people and if they are into games or not they are wowed it exists.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

I have it all set up and updated on the latest firmware and a bunch of games loaded on it now and I really like it! It’s definitely an awesome keychain, it’s crazy how small it is with what it can do. I tried Tekken 3 @Biggie on it and it’s insane you can play that on a keychain.

I can actually play decently enough on it and see the screen well enough to read text etc. Beyond the pure novelty I can really see using it sometimes when waiting around etc because unlike my real handhelds, I’ll actually always have this on me. Just need to remember to charge it after any extended use so it’s ready. 

Bored waiting at the doctor? Load up Castlevania Aria of sorrow! Good stuff. 

My main concern is for whatever reason I cannot get it to connect to my windows11 computers. I do have one win10 machine so I was able to use that to load stuff on it but for future use I hope I can find a way to connect to win11. But hell, even if all it did was play mario all stars + world, Kirby’s Dreamcourse, and Tetris attacks, that would still be the coolest key chain ever.

Also adding a bigger sd card to it is a lot more work than I would have figured but it makes sense with the kind of device it is. I’m going to just stick with the 32gb for now as that’s plant for this stuff really.

It is also just a great parlor trick, I’ve shown a few people and if they are into games or not they are wowed it exists.

That's pretty much my experience. At first, I bought it on a lark. I figured well, maybe I'll be able to play some NES games on it, if nothing else. I had no idea it was going to be so capable, though.

Played with any of the native games yet? I know there's already Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, and a few others ported to the handheld.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's pretty much my experience. At first, I bought it on a lark. I figured well, maybe I'll be able to play some NES games on it, if nothing else. I had no idea it was going to be so capable, though.

Played with any of the native games yet? I know there's already Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, and a few others ported to the handheld.

Not yet but I will! It looks like you can do the Mario 64 port which would be funny idk how that will play at all, obviously not well! Does make me wish they could have gotten a little nub on there, that would help with fighters too, but it’s just crazy it has 6 buttons even.

• 4 weeks later...