E3 2023 Canceled.

Brian

I understand why the big publishers would want to just do their own event instead. I do think, however, there is still a market for essentially a tastemaker to have an event every year that says "this is what you should be excited about." So much shit, especially with indie games, just gets lost in the noise.

46 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I understand why the big publishers would want to just do their own event instead. I do think, however, there is still a market for essentially a tastemaker to have an event every year that says "this is what you should be excited about." So much shit, especially with indie games, just gets lost in the noise.

I agree, there’s room for something, but I would like it to be more than once a year. Weirdly, I think the current model I like the most is Nintendo Directs, especially when they focus on stuff coming in the next few months. I just can’t be bothered with vague teasers for games that might be out sometime in the next year or two. Let me know what to buy in the next quarter, and I’ll be more engaged. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don’t think there is. 

This is 2023, we don’t need a convention for a completely digital hobby. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don’t think there is. 

We don’t need any conventions if that’s your view. The fact that there are several other successful conventions for digital hobbies kind of undercuts your point. 

The way they’ve structured and organized E3 in recent past however is no longer a valid composition. 

I don’t think there is. 

You're right, I don't think there needs to be a physical event. I'm thinking more in terms of a marketing platform for everyone else that doesn't fit in the large publisher mold. Like an objective gaming body that can see what's happening and can spotlight trends and highlight games doing outstanding things that would otherwise just slip through the cracks.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:36 PM, Paperclyp said:

We don’t need any conventions if that’s your view. The fact that there are several other successful conventions for digital hobbies kind of undercuts your point. 

The way they’ve structured and organized E3 in recent past however is no longer a valid composition. 

Adepticon and Gencon are where people get together to play physical board games.

ComicCon and the Star Wars Experience (and I think Pax?), are largely about panels.

e3 has always been about press conferences (which for most of us was watched on TV or streamed), the release of trailers and giving the enthusiast press an opportunity to see things behind closed doors.  You don't need a physical conference to do those, and certainly don't need one if you are trying to reach gamers. 

• True 2

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Adepticon and Gencon are where people get together to play physical board games.

ComicCon and the Star Wars Experience (and I think Pax?), are largely about panels.

e3 has always been about press conferences (which for most of us was watched on TV or streamed), the release of trailers and giving the enthusiast press an opportunity to see things behind closed doors.  You don't need a physical conference to do those, and certainly don't need one if you are trying to reach gamers. 

I think we’re basically on the same page - though E3 has not really always been about the press conferences. That gets the most hype, but it was an industry convention for journalists to convene and play a bunch of upcoming stuff and have meetings and whatnot. It certainly doesn’t make sense to have a convention for press conferences and the press has no interest in waiting in lines to play games anymore, especially if they’re competing with non-press to do so. 

But if they could transition E3 to a pax-like thing, I think there was room for something like that and where it would still appeal to enough sites and journalists to come and be in the same general location and network and whatnot. At this point for E3 specially, though, I think the well is poisoned. It’s dead. 

If Geoff has the interest I think something could come about of that nature, but otherwise I don’t think we’ll see a unified conference like E3 happen again. Which is sad, it was always one of the most exciting times of the year for me. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

I think we’re basically on the same page - though E3 has not really always been about the press conferences. That gets the most hype, but it was an industry convention for journalists to convene and play a bunch of upcoming stuff and have meetings and whatnot. It certainly doesn’t make sense to have a convention for press conferences and the press has no interest in waiting in lines to play games anymore, especially if they’re competing with non-press to do so. 

But if they could transition E3 to a pax-like thing, I think there was room for something like that and where it would still appeal to enough sites and journalists to come and be in the same general location and network and whatnot. At this point for E3 specially, though, I think the well is poisoned. It’s dead. 

If Geoff has the interest I think something could come about of that nature, but otherwise I don’t think we’ll see a unified conference like E3 happen again. Which is sad, it was always one of the most exciting times of the year for me. 

I just don't think a Pax-like thing is what people would want from e3, and certainly wouldn't attract the kind of announcements that e3 used to get.  And certainly not the kind of $$$ spent on booths/press conferences.

I just don't think a Pax-like thing is what people would want from e3, and certainly wouldn't attract the kind of announcements that e3 used to get.  And certainly not the kind of $$$ spent on booths/press conferences.

Certainly not. I think they had an outside shot at restoring some semblance, or at least still having that E3 window preserves where they could piggy back off the conferences / directs even if they weren’t officially with E3, but that ship has sailed now. 

On 3/29/2023 at 2:32 AM, Xbob42 said:

Kinda seems like it'd be a good opportunity for one company to just take the entire spotlight for themselves.

Yeah, it's interesting that one of the mid to large sized companies didn't step in to basically make it their show with whatever marketing mojo E3 has left.

I guess it just goes to show how dead E3 is that someone like Ubi is not interested in stepping in and using the show for their own benefit. Compared to whatever stand alone event they might hold on their own, you would think they would get more eyeballs on their stuff at E3 just from antiquated Millennials like us tuning in for the Blockbuster nostalgia :lol:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, it's interesting that one of the mid to large sized companies didn't step in to basically make it their show with whatever marketing mojo E3 has left.

Supposedly Konami has some big stuff to show off that they wanted to show at the last E3 that didn't happen and were for sure going to show it at this one but I guess they'll just have to do another weird video, or I guess they show up at SGF.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Supposedly Konami has some big stuff to show off that they wanted to show at the last E3 that didn't happen and were for sure going to show it at this one but I guess they'll just have to do another weird video, or I guess they show up at SGF.

Speaking of poisoned wells, I bet Konami is so bitter about Kojima that they would rather avoid Jeff entirely.

• True 1

As I said earlier, C2E2 is still a thing & we have PAX East & West still as well. Add to it digital events from the big 3 and it's just the new model of what we've always had. Personally, it's more of a eulogy for what seems like a definitive end to E3 (at least until somebody with nostalgia issues attempts to bring it back to life in like 2030.)