Any VR people here? And what are your thoughts on 'lightgun'/shooting gallery games?

unogueen

Yeah Id love more light gun rail shooters, not stand in one place horde mode games, in VR. Unfortunately most are the stand around and face mobs in horde mode type though. Rush of Blood on psvr was really good and its sequel Switchback (is that the name? i might be making the name up) is the killer app for psvr2 for me and that comes out soon. Dead and Burried is okay. You can get emulators going for psx and arcade light gun games which I need to bother to set up some day, since you could actually play those proper again in vr.  The two rollercoaster Quest 2 games, Epic Coaster and I forget the name of the other, have shooter modes which be up making those kind of like light gun shooters but they aren’t really built for it so they are kind of aimless. 

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah Id love more light gun rail shooters, not stand in one place horde mode games, in VR. Unfortunately most are the stand around and face mobs in horde mode type though. Rush of Blood on psvr was really good and its sequel Switchback (is that the name? i might be making the name up) is the killer app for psvr2 for me and that comes out soon. Dead and Burried is okay. You can get emulators going for psx and arcade light gun games which I need to bother to set up some day, since you could actually play those proper again in vr.  The two rollercoaster Quest 2 games, Epic Coaster and I forget the name of the other, have shooter modes which be up making those kind of like light gun shooters but they aren’t really built for it so they are kind of aimless. 

Cosigned. Someone with money do something.

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Aren't most VR game shooting gallery games?

Heck this one was just shown at the SoP

Pistol Whip is a gallery shooter/rhythm game. That one's been out for a while. That game plays more like the arcade Police 911 than something like Time Crisis. A real gallery shooter wouldn't really involve much actual motion and could be played seated.

Many other VR shooters are full first person shooters, like Alyx or Walking Dead Saints and Sinners.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pistol Whip is a gallery shooter/rhythm game. That one's been out for a while. That game plays more like the arcade Police 911 than something like Time Crisis. A real gallery shooter wouldn't really involve much actual motion and could be played seated.

Many other VR shooters are full first person shooters, like Alyx or Walking Dead Saints and Sinners.

Between those types and the stand in one place horde modes that don’t move you along games like Space Trainer/Serious Sam Last Hope, it’s really surprising how few that are a really like the type we are referring to there are.

I’d love to see it become more popular, it’s a shame that Rush of Blood is stuck in a dead system since there isn’t even bc for psvr2, I hope they get to port it at some point.

• Halal 1

Shooting in VR is kinda mixed IMHO. Here is my experience:

Any longer/larger gun that requires 2 hands and precise aiming is very weird in VR without a "gunstock" to properly use 2 hands with. Even still, they miss out on a lot of the feel of actually firing a rifle or shotgun due to the lack of weight and physical recoil. This is similar issue I have with most sword fighting games. The lack of physical weight to weapons is very immersion breaking if you've ever used any of them in real life (also why Beat Saber feels really nice).

Hand guns work and feel generally really good, so long as the devs don't try to get too detailed and realistic with reloading (looking at H3). Bow & Arrow games are also good and work surprisingly well.

Half Life: Alyx is by far the best (IMHO). It makes the wise choice of making the guns mostly 1 handed for aiming and has the best movement options depending on your tolerance for getting nautious.

• Halal 1

18 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Shooting in VR is kinda mixed IMHO. Here is my experience:

Any longer/larger gun that requires 2 hands and precise aiming is very weird in VR without a "gunstock" to properly use 2 hands with. Even still, they miss out on a lot of the feel of actually firing a rifle or shotgun due to the lack of weight and physical recoil. This is similar issue I have with most sword fighting games. The lack of physical weight to weapons is very immersion breaking if you've ever used any of them in real life (also why Beat Saber feels really nice).

Hand guns work and feel generally really good, so long as the devs don't try to get too detailed and realistic with reloading (looking at H3). Bow & Arrow games are also good and work surprisingly well.

Half Life: Alyx is by far the best (IMHO). It makes the wise choice of making the guns mostly 1 handed for aiming and has the best movement options depending on your tolerance for getting nautious.

Yeah, it would be nice if someone made high end vr guns dfor the headset.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, it would be nice if someone made high end vr guns dfor the headset.

There are some gunstocks where you can mount the controllers that work pretty decent for Index/Vive. That said they aren't cheap and they're still also light (compared to an actual rifle). Handguns still feel better.

23 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

There are some gunstocks where you can mount the controllers that work pretty decent for Index/Vive. That said they aren't cheap and they're still also light (compared to an actual rifle). Handguns still feel better.

Agreed on handguns. Though some are better than others. really didn’t like the blasters in the star wars game, but yeah, the rifles were even worse. 

I expect this will get those types of accessories as well. jusr a matter of time.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, BloodyHell said:

Agreed on handguns. Though some are better than others. really didn’t like the blasters in the star wars game, but yeah, the rifles were even worse. 

I expect this will get those types of accessories as well. jusr a matter of time.

Gunstocks are decent, but games aren't designed around them so it's no super intuitive.