Personal tiny houses at work

Remarkableriots

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

My wife knows that my dream is to have a sustainable, micro home one day. Enough room to sleep, sit, cook and shower. 

Probably not at my place of work though…

We drive by a house every day that isn't a tiny house but it's the most simple build you could imagine, very small square footage, very nicely kept, and I am always so jealous of it. With my kids it changes the equation but there's something so appealing about owning such a tidy space that's easy to take care of. 

But as you said at work this can all go to hell. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

..may i ask why?

I'm a subdued environmentalist at heart and the idea of a small, sustainable home really appeals to me. The idea that it would encourage more of an outdoor lifestyle (or a snug, comfy one), that doesn’t impact on the world is a draw as well - plus it would be cheap (better yet, the type of home that generates income by selling back to the grid).

5 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I'm a subdued environmentalist at heart and the idea of a small, sustainable home really appeals to me. The idea that it would encourage more of an outdoor lifestyle (or a snug, comfy one), that doesn’t impact on the world is a draw as well - plus it would be cheap (better yet, the type of home that generates income by selling back to the grid).

Oh so you mean to replace your current home not in addition?

1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

This would be when I’m 50 and I’m somehow allowed (maybe a second home?) - or I’m, for whatever reason, left alone, this would be my choice.

Okay that makes sense - I thought you meant just a fun mini house to decorate like a huge doll house that’s built into your current home lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just get a condo and not have to worry about a yard. That’s my plan once the kids are older. 

I’m hoping my kids build houses next to mine and do all my lawn care, which is what I do for my folks 😂

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheShader said:

I miss my little studio apartment. I'm not one that needs a whole lot.

Yeah, I've been here for coming up on 3 years and never really had any issues with it being a studio. Now that I'm working from home occasionally (new job about seven months ago), it would be nice to have another room to 1) have an office for clearer delineation between work and home and 2) have a spare bedroom for guests, but... even that isn't really necessary. :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah, I've been here for coming up on 3 years and never really had any issues with it being a studio. Now that I'm working from home occasionally (new job about seven months ago), it would be nice to have another room to 1) have an office for clearer delineation between work and home and 2) have a spare bedroom for guests, but... even that isn't really necessary. :shrug:

Yeah, I had mine for about 2-3 years and just before the pandemic. WFH would definitely be on my mind, especially if(Gods forbid) Lockdown 2.0 happens. As it is I tend to do my 'WFH' stuff in offices anyway, just cause I know enough people that allow me to sit in some random corner of their office to do work away from home. I did WFH in my bedroom during lockdown and during the best of times it was hard to be motivated working in a room of rest, and at worst of times it was madness inducing not cognitively being able to separate my work environment from my rest environment.

My thing personal thing about a studio that I don't get is just space to host guests. I enjoy getting to be the host, invite people over, set up food and games, etc. Hard to do that when your whole living space is a single small square that acts as your bedroom, living room, workspace, and kitchen all in one. When I lived there I'd usually just invite one or two people at a time. Which was still nice, often felt like having a sleepover as children.