PC Community Thread

stepee

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

White computers, and the graphics cards that go in them are an acquired taste.  And  I, for one, don't feel bad for not acquiring it. 

I just remember how ugly beige computers got with time, can't imagine white ones doing any better.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

The latest AMD Radeon 8000 rumors suggest AMD is abandoning its multi chiplet approach for RDNA 4 graphics cards, and leaving the high end to Nvidia.

Is that going to include w/ ray tracing? Even the article seemed to imply that’s why they’re not charging as much as a 4080. FSR isn’t as good as DLSS and their RT isn’t as good, so comparing the two they aren’t worth the same price to consumers. 

7 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is that going to include w/ ray tracing?

Super doubtful, however there’s a chance that Sony + MSFT are pushing AMD for better RT performance due to console refreshes which we could see manifest on these AMD next gen GPUs.

The AMD will get better performance in pure rasterization, while a similarly price Nvidia GPU will probably have a better result when you turn on frame generation and Ray Tracing.

Again, this is releasing about the same time as the next gen Nvidia video cards.  Comparing its performance to a card that will be almost 2 years old isn't really all that relevant.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Again, this is releasing about the same time as the next gen Nvidia video cards.  Comparing its performance to a card that will be almost 2 years old isn't really all that relevant.

Plus, it's a bit weird considering AMD already has a card that fast if you're not using RT. Yea, I know this is targeting around $600 (allegedly), but are they just going to go sideways? You can already find 7900 XTXs for around $700 pretty frequently. 

So I got the itch and Im building a new PC. My last build was 8+ years ago with a 980ti and i7-4770k. this rig is still going strong. Even fired up Bg3 and it runs surprisingly well once it loads in. the loading times are abysmal but I guess thats the CPU. 

So im going mini-itx build so I can move the PC from my desk where for now Im gaming in 1440 to my 65” OLED for some couch gaming. 

I have all my parts picked out but GPU. Going with a 7800x3D and 32gb DDR5 6000 CL30 ram. Stuffing this all in a Formd T1 case. 

Im down to whether to get a 4080 super or a 4090. Its such a huuuuuuge jump in price. I had a 4090 FE in my cart twice today and backed out. 

I know if money is no object just go big or go home. But 650 more?? is it really worth it? will it be that significant of a difference? 

or do I go 4080super and than maybe sell it down the road and get a 50xx? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, atom631 said:

So I got the itch and Im building a new PC. My last build was 8+ years ago with a 980ti and i7-4770k. this rig is still going strong. Even fired up Bg3 and it runs surprisingly well once it loads in. the loading times are abysmal but I guess thats the CPU. 

So im going mini-itx build so I can move the PC from my desk where for now Im gaming in 1440 to my 65” OLED for some couch gaming. 

I have all my parts picked out but GPU. Going with a 7800x3D and 32gb DDR5 6000 CL30 ram. Stuffing this all in a Formd T1 case. 

Im down to whether to get a 4080 super or a 4090. Its such a huuuuuuge jump in price. I had a 4090 FE in my cart twice today and backed out. 

I know if money is no object just go big or go home. But 650 more?? is it really worth it? will it be that significant of a difference? 

For 4k 120fps the 4090 really is the only option IMO, but if you don’t mind being a bit under 120fps sometimes then the 4080S is a hell of a value. The option of going 4080S and then swapping to a 5000 series within about a year might make the most sense, though.
Also, make sure a 4090 or 4080S is going to fit on your mini-ITX case.

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

For 4k 120fps the 4090 really is the only option IMO, but if you don’t mind being a bit under 120fps sometimes then the 4080S is a hell of a value. The option of going 4080S and then swapping to a 5000 series within about a year might make the most sense, though.
Also, make sure a 4090 or 4080S is going to fit on your mini-ITX case.

my OLED is a C1, so only 60hz panel. Although a 77” C3 might be on the menu.  The couch gaming will probably be Single Player games so if Im getting over 60 with max/ultra settings w/ RT, that would be fine. 

Any competitive /mp games like BF or COD will probably only be done on the 1440 IPS panel

Just now, atom631 said:

then I must have the year before. I def do not have VRR or Gysnc. 

CX is the year before. It has VRR and Gsync as well. All HDMI 2.1 LG OLEDs (4k 120hz panels) have VRR/Gsync/Freesync. Why do you think you don’t have it? What isn’t allowing you to enable it? 

@atom631since you’re at 60hz go for a 4080S. You won’t want to enable frame gen as you’ll need to disable vsync at 60hz or suffer massive input lag with it enabled at that hz (75-80 is the lowest you’d want to lock fps with frame gen). When the 5000 series releases you can reevaluate, especially if you get a new TV with HDMI 2.1 (G3 or G4 would be :angry-fap-small: )

Just now, Spork3245 said:

@atom631since you’re at 60hz go for a 4080S. You won’t want to enable frame gen as you’ll need to disable vsync at 60hz or suffer massive input lag with it enabled at that hz (75-80 is the lowest you’d want to lock fps with frame gen). When the 5000 series releases you can reevaluate, especially if you get a new TV with HDMI 2.1 (G3 or G4 would be :angry-fap-small: )

my OLED still looks amazing. zero burn in or any issues in all these years. BUTTTT if I see a sub $2K 77” C3, I would probably jump on it. 

I love the look of the G3 but theres a lot to do to get it wall mounted. 

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

my OLED still looks amazing. zero burn in or any issues in all these years. BUTTTT if I see a sub $2K 77” C3, I would probably jump on it. 

You can get a stand for the G series, LG makes ones :sun:

The G3 is ridiculously brighter (especially in HDR) compared to the C series. Absolutely worth it if you don’t mind throwing in the extra money.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@atom631

$1999.00 is technically below $2k :D 

WWW.GREENTOE.COM

Buy LG C3 77" 4K HDR Smart OLED evo TV featuring UHD 4K 3840 x 2160 LED Panel, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision Compatible, webOS 23 with LG ThinQ AI, 120 Hz Native Refresh Rate, NVIDIA...

jeeeez. I need to do this PC build first!  you got me reconsidering a 4090 now!

• Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

Only you can determine how sensitive you are to framerates and resolution.  But, I wouldn't notice any difference on that size TV (unless I was sitting VERY close) and your monitor is only 1440p.  It's your money, but I wouldn't pony up the price difference between a 4080s and a 4090 right now.

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

then I must have the year before. I def do not have VRR or Gysnc. 

TVs support Vesa VRR, but generally do not have Freesync or Gsync. 

6 hours ago, atom631 said:

Unless you mean that your particular setup would require a lot of shuffling things around or something, FWIW I have my G3 wall mounted and it was super easy. The TV includes the necessary bracket and a paper outline of the TV (so you can place it exactly where you want it). I just used a stud finder, a level, and a drill to get it mounted in about 15 minutes with the help of a friend. 

The TV is fucking legit. :rocking:

5 hours ago, Nokra said:

Unless you mean that your particular setup would require a lot of shuffling things around or something, FWIW I have my G3 wall mounted and it was super easy. The TV includes the necessary bracket and a paper outline of the TV (so you can place it exactly where you want it). I just used a stud finder, a level, and a drill to get it mounted in about 15 minutes with the help of a friend. 

The TV is fucking legit. :rocking:

I read that due to how close it sits to the wall, you have cut in a large recess in for an access box? is that not the case? 

7 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I read that due to how close it sits to the wall, you have cut in a large recess in for an access box? is that not the case? 

I personally haven’t seen this, but if it is an issue with the default mount, it’s why you should get a wall mount that can pull out.

21 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Early 4080S reports are showing that it's a whole whopping ~2.5% faster than the base 4080. Good thing the main appeal is the $200 price cut :p 

1.1% average gain over the base 4080 at 1440p, but, it’s cheaper than the base 4080 so I don’t think anyone can really complain much :lol:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/31.html