I made fries in duck fat tonight and it was divine

CastlevaniaNut18

I've been expanding my cooking a little more lately, thanks to watching so many videos on friggin' FB and Instagram. And I love using my new cooking knives!

Tonight was homemade fries in duck fat with salt, fresh parsley and parmesan cheese. I've never done my own fries before and these were easy and  turned out great. Also my first time using duck fat. The main dish was a couple ribeyes that I swiped some wagyu beef tallow on before adding a little seasoning and tossing them on the grill. Husband and I were extremely please with this meal. The duck fat is expensive and a lot of calories in this one, so it won't be a regular thing, but it was a great indulgence. Any suggestions for other recipes using duck fat? I still have a decent bit and it expires in May.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Halal 4
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Frying potatoes in animal fat is great. Beef tallow is usually cheaper, and another good option.

Yeah, I have this giant tub of wagyu tallow that I'll try on fries at some point. I used it on the steaks tonight. Cost the same as the duck fat, but double the amount. I just felt like going all fancy this time. :p

• Like 1

If you ever decide to smoke a brisket, the beef tallow comes in handy for that. Also, smothering it on and/or using that fat to fry the steak is solid. Personally & especially when obtaining a good piece of steak (preferably dry aged), I reverse sear my beef after further dry aging it for at least a day, no more than 2, with a liberal amount of kosher or sea salt. I prefer reverse searing my steaks above any other method.

Furthermore for usage of both the tallow & duck fats, roast literally any veggie in an oven and it will be superb! (FAT = FLAVOR!)

By the way @CastlevaniaNut18wasn't it you that had made a thread awhile back about obtaining knives? What did you end up getting?

For myself this weekend, between Rick Bayliss educating me on the divine nature of avocado leaves when making barbacoa (w/ short ribs) in a slow cooker as well as this super easy creamy cilantro slathered spatchcock chicken, I'll be eating well over the next few days!

• Thanks 1

@SoberChef, yeah, that was me. I first went with the Wusthof 6" chef's knife and I love it. It's my go to knife now. I also order some knives from this site called The cooking Guild and I've really liked them so far, too. They're high carbon steel, so they require more care, but they're sharp and look great. I've liked them so far. Got an 8" chef's knife, a 5" petty knife, a fillet, and a hanta.

• Like 2

I’m really in a cooking mood. I just bought a new cast iron skillet, a Lodge brand. I had one, it belonged to my great-grandmother, who was born in 1898, so it’s old as hell. 

Also looking into trying this Iberico pork. Looks great and I wanna see if it’s worth the hype, since I’ve never been a giant pork eater. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I roasted a duck last week, and was shocked by the amount of Duck Fat that was left over in the roasting pan.  Thinking of using the duck fat to make some Hasselback potatoes this weekend.

They're waterbirds. They're greasy as shit. Enjoy your sides.

• True 1