Nintendo Switch cloud save data disappears if you cancel subscription. Downloadable NES games require weekly online check-ins to play offline.

Jason

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So is this really any different than what Sony or MS do? I'm legit asking, because I don't pay for any online service, so I'm not familiar with the intricacies. 

From the article, the retention policy for cloud saves is a rather big difference if they're actually going to delete your cloud saves the moment you stop paying:

Nintendo differs from its console competitors in how it handles online save data. Cloud saves on PlayStation systems remain accessible for six months after you cancel a paid PlayStation Plus account. Cloud saves are offered for free in perpetuity on Xbox Live.

25 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So is this really any different than what Sony or MS do? I'm legit asking, because I don't pay for any online service, so I'm not familiar with the intricacies. 

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

From the article, the retention policy for cloud saves is a rather big difference if they're actually going to delete your cloud saves the moment you stop paying:

And, you know, you can back up your saves for free on the other consoles. Xbox is cloud only, but free. While on the PS4 you can back up saves to a USB stick or pay for the cloud. 

So what if you want to pay for the online, but don't want to use the cloud save? Can you opt out and only save locally?

It would be pretty shit of Nintendo if, in exchange for paying for their service, they hold your game saves hostage. Does that count as extortion?

EDIT: As in, if you pay for their service once, you're locked in and have to continue paying for it unless you want to lose that entire period's worth of game progress?

8 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So what if you want to pay for the online, but don't want to use the cloud save? Can you opt out and only save locally?

It would be pretty shit of Nintendo if, in exchange for paying for their service, they hold your game saves hostage. Does that count as extortion?

EDIT: As in, if you pay for their service once, you're locked in and have to continue paying for it unless you want to lose that entire period's worth of game progress?

Uh, you still have console saves. You never lose local saves.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

My guess is they won’t mess that part up, but I’ve been wrong before! 

4 hours ago, Dre801 said:

It's more easily to get fucked out of your saves with Nintendo's system.  

Which is doubly unacceptable when you consider that due to designing the system for portability, something is way more likely to happen to your Switch (lose it, drop it, whatever) than with an Xbone or PS4, which for most people aren't going to move after being plugged in.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Uh, you still have console saves. You never lose local saves.

Unless something happens to the device itself and you weren't paying for the online service at the time.

11 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

... Are you trying to compare this to the lead up to the Xbox One's launch?

Locking out a subscription library of NES games after a week of no internet is very different than always-online DRM'ing the whole console, retail disks included.

It's pretty much the same thing. Are you suggesting that when you buy the retail disc you DO get to keep your saves? Probably not! 

:lol: The check-in for fucking decades-old NES games just clicked with me. BETTER MAKE SURE NO ONE IS ABLE TO GET THESE HOT RELEASES FOR TOO LONG WITHOUT TOUCHING HOME WITH MOTHER BASE.

Jesus, it just seems pathetic. I get why they're doing it, but it doesn't make it seem any less stupid. What a waste of resources.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stickey said:

When Microsoft announce something similar the pitchforks were out. Now that Nintendo does it, it's a resounding "aww man". 

expectations were almost nonexistent when it came Nintendo doing anything even remotely correct with their online service...so yes, it comes as a shock to no one that they would screw up something that the other console makers have tested and refined for a decade+

7 hours ago, Stickey said:

It's pretty much the same thing. Are you suggesting that when you buy the retail disc you DO get to keep your saves? Probably not! 

That save data is still stored locally.  So yes?

...Sounds like you need a refresher on the whole Microsoft thing.

A burn against what Microsoft initially proposed.  Let me know when you're no longer able to play a physical copy of Mario Kart 8 on a friend's Switch.

With Nintendo, you'll have to subscribe to their online walled-garden paywall to access your saves on another Switch.  That's still bullshit, layered on top of the bullshit that these services represent for every console now.

But hey, at it least it isn't always-online DRM that renders physical copies completely obsolete.  Clearly, things could be much worse.

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

That save data is still stored locally.  So yes?

...Sounds like you need a refresher on the whole Microsoft thing.

A burn against what Microsoft initially proposed.  Let me know when you're no longer able to play a physical copy of Mario Kart 8 on a friend's Switch.

With Nintendo, you'll have to subscribe to their online walled-garden paywall to access your saves on another Switch.  That's still bullshit, layered on top of the bullshit that these services represent for every console now.

But hey, at it least it isn't always-online DRM that renders physical copies completely obsolete.  Clearly, things could be much worse.

Remind Sony to enable cross play with other consoles while you're at it. Seems like it's as simple as flipping a switch.

3 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Remind Sony to enable cross play with other consoles while you're at it. Seems like it's as simple as flipping a switch.

That is some shit too, especially when they're the holdover. 

Know what else would be as easy as flipping a switch?  Making XBL online play as free on consoles as it is on PC. 

All three of the console manufactures are duping us.  I'm ready for Microsoft to nix XBLG fees and keep Games Pass as their only subscription.  It'd make up for all their past sins in my book, and throw egg on Sony and Nintendo's faces.  It would be great!  ... Though admittedly, I'm still wary about what Games Pass may inspire other big publishers to do. 

On 9/16/2018 at 3:13 AM, Xbob42 said:

:lol: The check-in for fucking decades-old NES games just clicked with me. BETTER MAKE SURE NO ONE IS ABLE TO GET THESE HOT RELEASES FOR TOO LONG WITHOUT TOUCHING HOME WITH MOTHER BASE.

Jesus, it just seems pathetic. I get why they're doing it, but it doesn't make it seem any less stupid. What a waste of resources.

You gotta pay daddy if you want a legit copy of NES Solomon’s Key.