Biden Administration stops taking applications for student loan forgiveness

107108908-1661369148417-biden5.jpg?v=166
WWW.CNBC.COM

The Biden administration has stopped accepting applications for federal student loan forgiveness after a court struck down the plan on Thursday evening.

The suspension of the forgiveness program comes shortly after a federal judge in Texas rejected President Joe Biden’s executive action in August to cancel up to $20,000 in student debt for tens of millions of Americans.

“In this country, we are not ruled by an all-powerful executive with a pen and a phone,” wrote Judge Mark Pittman of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, in his 26-page decision. Pittman, who was appointed in 2019 by former President Donald Trump, sided with the Job Creators Network Foundation, a conservative advocacy group.

“In this country, we are not ruled by an all-powerful executive with a pen and a phone,” wrote Judge Mark Pittman of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, in his 26-page decision. Pittman, who was appointed in 2019 by former President Donald Trump, sided with the Job Creators Network Foundation, a conservative advocacy group.

We are, however, ruled by a conservative judge appointed by a president Americans didn't want and a Senate most Americans didn't vote for. :thumbup:

• True 3

I've told everyone I know who could possibly benefit from this initiative to get their applications in ASAP for this very reason.  At least the application would be in the system if a final ruling ultimately discontinued the program but would allow for some degree of relief for those who had already filed one.

• Halal 2

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've told everyone I know who could possibly benefit from this initiative to get their applications in ASAP for this very reason.  At least the application would be in the system if a final ruling ultimately discontinued the program but would allow for some degree of relief for those who had already filed one.

That’s what I told everyone. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My mom said a couple weeks ago she was trying and was on the phone for a long time. I don't think she got it.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

"Block loan relief moving forward" so like even if you submitted an application but they haven't gotten to it yet you don't get the relief is what it's sounding like to me.

Quite often in these situations, when they make their way through the courts, the end result is that the courts rule it would be too harmful to those who already got in to now be rejected and will allow those to move forward while simultaneously blocking future applicants. Never a guarantee, but it does happen frequently.

Part of the reason you often see immediate stays to programs in the infancy of litigation because the courts prefer not to have to wrangle with those types of issues. Nothing really to do with the expected outcome, just easier to keep things tidy if the end result is terminating the program.  

• 2 weeks later...