Boys, Keep your power dry and your adapter cables straight!

Mr.Vic20

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

Ooooh boy. So you know what really helps when wiping the CMOS? Switching off the main PSU power switch…sooo, NOW I’ve reset my CMOS! :lol: It did the trick until I enabled XMP and it again shat the bed. Seems I might need to manually set my RAM settings. Thanks for putting me on the right path though! 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ooooh boy. So you know what really helps when wiping the CMOS? Switching off the main PSU power switch…sooo, NOW I’ve reset my CMOS! :lol: It did the trick until I enabled XMP and it again shat the bed. Seems I might need to manually set my RAM settings. Thanks for putting me on the right path though! 

I was gonna ask you how did you clear the CMOS but I was like "nah he got this".

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So, Igor’s Lab had failed cables in the prior link which they dissected. Gamers Nexus couldn’t get any of their cables to melt, but also had previously melted/failed cables they were sent by viewers - the ones that seemed to be fine after 8+ hours of testing had 300v cables/wires, the failed ones they obtained were all 150v. Of course, it’s not definitive, but the current theory from this video is that the sourced company for this adapter is “accidentally” using the wrong voltage rated wiring on some adapters.

Igor's cable wasn't failed; he just cut one open he had on hand.

bw1eNAZpZRtHa5sFrJ3AM2W9QsxZKlJ7Wqb0by67
NEW.REDDIT.COM

712 votes and 2,256 comments so far on Reddit

Megathread to keep up with the growing number of failures.

I checked out the pictures of every adapter, and every one of them that wasn't a blurry mess I could make out that the failed adapters used the terminals with two splits in them.  And the damaged pins are also occurring on more than just the outer edge ones, and also happening with 3x8 adapters. 

Inconsistent manufacturing seems to be the cause, but what part of the adapter is failing and why is still yet to be determined.

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:
bw1eNAZpZRtHa5sFrJ3AM2W9QsxZKlJ7Wqb0by67
NEW.REDDIT.COM

712 votes and 2,256 comments so far on Reddit

Megathread to keep up with the growing number of failures.

I checked out the pictures of every adapter, and every one of them that wasn't a blurry mess I could make out that the failed adapters used the terminals with two splits in them.  And the damaged pins are also occurring on more than just the outer edge ones, and also happening with 3x8 adapters. 

Inconsistent manufacturing seems to be the cause, but what part of the adapter is failing and why is still yet to be determined.

Yep! r/nvidia is where I’ve been keeping up with the saga at.

Also… bruh: 

OK, I will admit that with all the fun with my CPU making my PC cranky that I've fallen off on the possibility of my GPU burning down my house... priorities people! Can someone bottom line it for me if I need to buy a replacement adapter? @Spork3245 , seeing as you and I have the same card, will you be replacing your adapter? 

46 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, I will admit that with all the fun with my CPU making my PC cranky that I've fallen off on the possibility of my GPU burning down my house... priorities people! Can someone bottom line it for me if I need to buy a replacement adapter? @Spork3245 , seeing as you and I have the same card, will you be replacing your adapter? 

Just do a soft tubing water cooling set up. The fire might melt the tubing and water will put out the fire. (Hopefully)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Are there different adapter cables for different manufactures GPUs or is a for fits all situation?  

They’re all the same port: 12vhpwr (16pin) is the new standard. However, cablemod’s cables are made for specific PSUs, and it lists which cables work with what PSU in the description.

49 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Just do a soft tubing water cooling set up. The fire might melt the tubing and water will put out the fire. (Hopefully)

Expect to hear from my attorneys.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Get a water cooling loop positioned above the GPU. When the fire starts it melts the tubing, leaking water will put out the fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20 you’ll see that the title description lets you know what PSU each cable works with: https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/pro-series/12vhpwr-pci-e-cable/

What PSU do you own?

:lol: Out of Stock, 25 bucks for the cable (fine!) 15.00 flat shipping fee (less fine, but let's not pretend they don't have a market here) and hit purchase... "error message: your address requires a MINIMUM purchase of $74.90! (the balls...)

15 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

:lol: Out of Stock, 25 bucks for the cable (fine!) 15.00 flat shipping fee (less fine, but let's not pretend they don't have a market here) and hit purchase... "error message: your address requires a MINIMUM purchase of $74.90! (the balls...)

Oh, weird, mine didn’t have a minimum purchase. Did you checkout with paypal?

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, weird, mine didn’t have a minimum purchase. Did you checkout with paypal?

Nope, went with a CC, still lame regardless! They seem to understand the barrel they have us over and clearly they know what we paid for our GPUs! :lol:

I wish I was having the problems that you guys are having! Well not the ram timings one, just the......"Man sucks, looks like I need another cable for me 4090 one lol No offence intended, I know first had what fire can do, I also do not know first hand what a 4090 can do!!

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I spoke with the owner, it’s about 2-ish weeks out right now. They make them all by hand and are more-than a little overwhelmed but are filling as quickly as they can. The right-angle version just came out today btw

you spoke with the owner and didn’t let him know your boy vic needs one asap???

17 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Check your PSU manufacturer's website. They'll be making 12vhpwr cables to purchase direct. Seasonic is even giving them away to some users.

The TLDR is there is no fire. The connector is just getting hot enough to slowly melt the plastic. If you see no damage the next time you unplug the card I think you'll be fine in the short term. The cause of this problem still hasn't been identified. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Check your PSU manufacturer's website. They'll be making 12vhpwr cables to purchase direct. Seasonic is even giving them away to some users.

The TLDR is there is no fire. The connector is just getting hot enough to slowly melt the plastic. If you see no damage the next time you unplug the card I think you'll be fine in the short term. The cause of this problem still hasn't been identified. 

Yes, it depends on your PSU. The Seasonic cables (from Seasonic) have been recalled as there’s a manufacturing issue with them. Corsair has ones but their stock is as bad as CableMods at the moment, EVGA is making ones but are still a “few weeks away” from releasing, and I think DarkMatter and/or BeQuiet has official ones available.

And, yes, it’s not fires, “just” melting. But, worth noting that melted plastic inside/on the connector pins of your GPU is probably not good for contact with future cables.

@Mr.Vic20what PSU manufacturer do you have? EVGA recommends the cablemods cables until theirs are available fwiw

33 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I have an EVGA PSU. I'll check my connector this weekend and see how things are cooking. IF I see melt then I'll order one but if not, I'll skip for now. 

I ordered mine because it’s something that’s starting to constantly be in the back of mind with new posts/pictures of confirmed melted adapters every day on r/nvidia, and knowing the wait times I didn’t want to be “too late” if an issue does occur. 
FWIW, before ordering I asked Jacob Freeman (EVGA head product manager) if the CableMods cables void their 10-year warranty, he said “nope” and had been recommending using them.

• Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I ordered mine because it’s something that’s starting to constantly be in the back of mind with new posts/pictures of confirmed melted adapters every day on r/nvidia, and knowing the wait times I didn’t want to be “too late” if an issue does occur. 
FWIW, before ordering I asked Jacob Freeman (EVGA head product manager) if the CableMods cables void their 10-year warranty, he said “nope” and had been recommending using them.

I will likely do this for no other reason than its a better cable management solution. I hear you on the "in the back of my mind" element, fortunately work owns most of that space so I manage to forget about this until returning to this thread! :p