Boys, Keep your power dry and your adapter cables straight!

Mr.Vic20

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Any cable that’s not from your PSU manufacturer or isn’t an official/approved adapter would void warranty.

Voiding the warranty on your PSU, maybe.

Not that it matters because the real answer is lie. Lie to Nvidia, lie to your PSU manufacturer, but tell Cablemod the truth. Milk 'em all.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You know, I too was planning to swap this MSI out for an FE, but now I just don't care. It works great!  

I like my MSI, especially the temps: it idles around 45c with the fans at 0rpm. If I modify the fan curve to be at 25% here it drops to about 30c

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m happy that is all it was! Kind of annoying BUT the easiest answer!

Sooo, Hitman 3, same level, runs about 5fps better across the board, but still the FPS jumps around quite a bit on that level. I'm seeing 5-10fps jump in Cyberpunk and similar results in Gotham Knights. Now keep in mind that gotham Knights still has hitching and a 20fps swing on the high end, but I'm getting between 95-107 FPS while traversing the city. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Sooo, Hitman 3, same level, runs about 5fps better across the board, but still the FPS jumps around quite a bit on that level. I'm seeing 5-10fps jump in Cyberpunk and similar results in Gotham Knights. Now keep in mind that gotham Knights still has hitching and a 20fps swing on the high end, but I'm getting between 95-107 FPS while traversing the city. 

Damn, I played more of Hitman 3 and I think that level is kind of an outlier, I think since it’s from Hitman 1 and they didn’t really pay much attention to optimizing it with those shop windows in that area. They do look really good though!

Assuming that’s with RT on that’s way higher than me in Batman, mine is more in the 70s in the open world! But that makes sense the scaling cpu wise for that game is dreadful and that single core performance boost is doing a lot of work.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn, I played more of Hitman 3 and I think that level is kind of an outlier, I think since it’s from Hitman 1 and they didn’t really pay much attention to optimizing it with those shop windows in that area. They do look really good though!

Assuming that’s with RT on that’s way higher than me in Batman, mine is more in the 70s in the open world! But that makes sense the scaling cpu wise for that game is dreadful and that single core performance boost is doing a lot of work.

Yeah, that's with everything wide open. Still proves that most unoptimized messes do get cleaned up through brute force. Even locking it a 60FPS does not stop the stutter when your're cossing LOD titles in the overworld. 

I definitely find the only way to have Gotham feel mostly smooth is to have it at 40fps, then the big drops aren’t so big and for the most part I don’t really notice it anymore. But on my cpu there’s a decent amount of the city that isn’t even 60fps with ray tracing on anyway sooo.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I definitely find the only way to have Gotham feel mostly smooth is to have it at 40fps, then the big drops aren’t so big and for the most part I don’t really notice it anymore. But on my cpu there’s a decent amount of the city that isn’t even 60fps with ray tracing on anyway sooo.

Just set it to 30fps and pretend you're a plebe :santasun:

14 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Gotham Knights should get better the more you play it. It has to build a shader cache the first time it renders anything and you can't brute force past it lol. But you should go into the Nvidia control panel and increase the shader cache size.

Yeah I basically cached the open world at this point so it’s better than when you first start but there’s still choke points all throughout the city that are just always throttling you. Those are the same areas as on console mostly.

Hopefully they fix it or I beat it before a new driver update comes out and makes me rebuild the cache!

Im curious how it goes in these 2022 pc dev projects when someone at some point HAS to point out the stutter compilation issue and they decide to move on without addressing it.

Since there is pretty much an “easy” fix, give the option at least to sit and precompile, and often companies get slammed then go back and add a fix, it’s pretty wild to me that they release games still with this issue so often.

Playing Sackboy on pc and it’s not as bad in that game as others but it’s such an otherwise fantastic port except the damn shader stutter. We just had a Sony game do this perfectly a couple weeks ago, and now we have another game that just tries to ignore it. I know different devs/teams but even as a Publisher doesn’t Sony look at this stuff as they try to establish a pc presence? So strange.

TL;DW via reddit: Seems to be some customers ended up with inappropriate 150V cable variants soldered poorly/bad joint relief. All of GN's were 300V with no chance of joint failure and even deliberate breakage still didn't melt with only 2 wires connected. Igor has a 150V variant. GN explains how to check what kind you got non-destructively. GN wants some 150V cables for testing, bounty offered.

Someone certainly fucked up in manufacturing behind the scenes.

• Thanks 1

OK, the saga continues! Check this madness out:

* Woke this morning and booted my PC - lock up on boot with error code 23 (Asus). 

* Reboot, gives me the AMI BIOS screen and says the system is unstable, asks me to F1 into BIOS

* Entered BIOS, exited with "save and reboot" option

* Locks on boot with 23 error

* Reboot, gives me the AMI BIOS screen and says the system is unstable, asks me to F1 into BIOS

* Entered BIOS, exited with "no save and exit" option 

* Boots just fine and can run anything I throw at it until I reboot, then have to go through bolded steps to get PC to boot. Runs awesome once I get to windows! What is happening?! 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

TL;DW via reddit: Seems to be some customers ended up with inappropriate 150W cable variants soldered poorly/bad joint relief. All of GN's were 300W with no chance of joint failure and even deliberate breakage still didn't melt with only 2 wires connected. Igor has a 150W variant. GN explains how to check what kind you got non-destructively. GN wants some 150W cables for testing, bounty offered.

Someone certainly fucked up in manufacturing behind the scenes.

@cusideabelincoln

25 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

* Woke this morning and booted my PC - lock up on boot with error code 23 (Asus). 

* Reboot, gives me the AMI BIOS screen and says the system is unstable, asks me to F1 into BIOS

* Reboot, gives me the AMI BIOS screen and says the system is unstable, asks me to F1 into BIOS

* Boots just fine and can run anything I throw at it until I reboot, then have to go through bolded steps to get PC to boot. Runs awesome once I get to windows! What is happening?! 

Is your ram overclocked?

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, I’ve reseated the ram stick individually and rebooted countless times now in no OC on RAM, then XMP I, then XMP II. Same results. And keep in mind, once I get it to boot it runs like a champ!

Have you considered the possibility that Lisa Su has hacked your PC?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Is there a beta BIOS to upgrade to?

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

We really need to dissect the failed cables to see how they were made before we actually know the issue.

So, Igor’s Lab had failed cables in the prior link which they dissected. Gamers Nexus couldn’t get any of their cables to melt, but also had previously melted/failed cables they were sent by viewers - the ones that seemed to be fine after 8+ hours of testing had 300v cables/wires, the failed ones they obtained were all 150v. Of course, it’s not definitive, but the current theory from this video is that the sourced company for this adapter is “accidentally” using the wrong voltage rated wiring on some adapters.