Boys, Keep your power dry and your adapter cables straight!

Mr.Vic20

OK, after a few nights of sleep, I'm going to try again gents! A new 13900K (old one was returned last night) is winging its way to me for a Friday delivery. This will help me rule out the processor as one potential point of failure. Install attempt #2 coming soon! :sun:

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/pro-series/12vhpwr-pci-e-cable/

@stepee@Mr.Vic20

Cablemod.com has modded PSU cables available for Corsair, EVGA, ASUS, and Seasonic PSUs that plug into 4x 8pin outs (directly from your modular PSU) and combine into a single 12vhpwr connection.

I might order one for my EVGA G2 and just strap my strimmer on top of it. :p 

Just read that using any cable(s) besides the included adapter or official ones from your PSU manufacturer completely void your 4090s warranty.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just read that using any cable(s) besides the included adapter or official ones from your PSU manufacturer completely void your 4090s warranty.  

Well I wasn’t going to mess with it anyway as long as I don’t notice any issues, so this makes it easier esp since it’s a 3yr warranty which is kinda nice.

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well I wasn’t going to mess with it anyway as long as I don’t notice any issues, so this makes it easier esp since it’s a 3yr warranty which is kinda nice.

I was debating on getting the EVGA cable and tying my strimmer+ to it just so it didn't looks so ugly with the adapter :p 

Possibly the first well made and non-click bait article on the issue: 

nVidia4.jpg
WWW.IGORSLAB.DE

Those who are now beating up on the new 12VHPWR (although I don't really like the part either) may generate nice traffic with it, but they simply haven't reco

• Shocked 1

It's looking like the adapters are truly the issue and not the 12vhpwr connector. The supplier nVidia used seems to have used garbage QC and cheaped out on the 4x8pin connectors vs the 3x8pin some 3090s and all 3090 Ti cards had, as well as the 4090 3x8pin which added the 4 sensor pins.

Speculation on why the 3x8pin is likely safe:

The problem is with 4 cables and how they connect to the 6 pads on the adapter. Let's label the 4 cables A, B, C, D.

4 cable soldering:

A - Pad 1

B - Pads 2 and 3

C - Pads 4 and 5

D - Pad 6
As you can see, cables A and D are only soldered to one pad, therefore they are more likely to fail than cables soldered to two pads.

3 cable adapters most likely have each cable soldered to two pads since 6 can be divided evenly by 3.

3 cable soldering (speculation):

A - Pads 1 and 2

B - Pads 3 and 4

C - Pads 5 and 6

This is probably why similar 3 cable adapters in the 3000 generation didn't have the same issues.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Possibly the first well made and non-click bait article on the issue: 

nVidia4.jpg
WWW.IGORSLAB.DE

Those who are now beating up on the new 12VHPWR (although I don't really like the part either) may generate nice traffic with it, but they simply haven't reco

Finally, I've been wanting to see what the inside of these adapters look like. The presence of solder is definitely the reason why you shouldn't bend the adapters aggressively. A native 12VHPWR connector should be fine as the wires in it should be clamped down with force over the pins. And the reason we see melting mostly on the outer pins can certainly be explained by improper current balancing since it's possible for the entire current of one 8-pin cable to be forced through just a single pin on the 12VHPWR connector, which could then be further made worse if that pin gets damaged from bending or isn't properly seated.

Now is this some supplier cheaping out, or did Nvidia know about and approve of this design?

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

Finally, I've been wanting to see what the inside of these adapters look like. The presence of solder is definitely the reason why you shouldn't bend the adapters aggressively. A native 12VHPWR connector should be fine as the wires in it should be clamped down with force over the pins. And the reason we see melting mostly on the outer pins can certainly be explained improper current balancing since it's possible for the entire current of one 8-pin cable to be forced through just a single pin on the 12VHPWR connector, which could then be further made worse if that pin gets damaged from bending or isn't properly seated.

Now is this some supplier cheaping out, or did Nvidia know about and approve of this design?

I'm sure the many good lawyers of the world will prevent that knowledge from seeing the light of day! :sun:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Seems to be the same supplier/maker of the 3x8pin to 12pin 3090/3090 Ti adapters. Speculation is that this maker cheaped out and modded the existing adapter for 4x8pins (+ those 4 sensor pins) instead of fully redesigning it. This is info I’ve accumulated from various places and people over the past day or so, at least.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Seems to be the same supplier/maker of the 3x8pin to 12pin 3090/3090 Ti adapters. Speculation is that this maker cheaped out and modded the existing adapter for 4x8pins (+ those 4 sensor pins) instead of fully redesigning it.

I definitely wouldn't use one of those 4-way adapters after seeing it designed now. 

@stepee @Mr.Vic20 

Throw them out. The 3-way is fine, or a native modular cable straight to the PSU will be fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

We aren't safe :| 

Looks like a 3-way provided from Nvidia, perhaps the new 3-way adpaters use the same shitty manufacturing as the 4-way.

There seems to be 2 big theories out there, perhaps working in tandem

1. Poor soldering where the wire attaches to the terminals.

2. Used cheaper terminal that has 2 splits in it where the spec should only be 1, this makes it easier to bend the terminal when inserting it on the pins and giving you a bad connection.

Dang, if I were you guys I'd examine your adapters. And when you insert it, do it straight on. I definitely wouldn't put one side of the connector in and then line up the other side before finally pushing it on. 100% straight.

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You all have already spent so much on the graphics cards, may as well just head over to Cablemod and spend $25 on a known good cable that also just looks a ton better than the ugly ones Nvidia went with.

But I read that then that voids the warranty. If I run into a problem now don’t they just send me a new card? 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

But I read that then that voids the warranty. If I run into a problem now don’t they just send me a new card? 

Supposedly nVidia offered some people an FE card to replace their, uhh… “exploded” one, but they had $1.8-2k AIB ones lol

Cablemod is disputing the warranty thing claiming that they worked with nVidia to make the adapters. 

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Supposedly nVidia offered some people an FE card to replace their, uhh… “exploded” one, but they had $1.8-2k AIB ones lol

Cablemod is disputing the warranty thing claiming that they worked with nVidia to make the adapters. 

Yeah, I'm not really sure I see why using a straight cable instead of an adapter will void your warranty. If you happen to have an ATX 3.0 card you wouldn't even need the adapter and will be back to using a straight cable.

Even then, lying is ALWAYS an option.