No more choo choos (potentially)

Chris-

Even if you take that they’re chuds at face value (probably true fwiw), union members are more Democratic leaning than similar demographics (based on their combination of income, race, gender, and educational attainment)

standing for these members also sends a signal to other unions and union members that someone has their back and that’s also good. 

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Even if you take that they’re chuds at face value (probably true fwiw), union members are more Democratic leaning than similar demographics (based on their combination of income, race, gender, and educational attainment)

Prior to Trump, my BIL was super Democratic leaning *because* they were the pro Union party. Same for all his work buddies, even if they otherwise fairly conservative. He has since fallen down into the MAGA abyss.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Prior to Trump, my BIL was super Democratic leaning *because* they were the pro Union party. Same for all his work buddies, even if they otherwise fairly conservative. He has since fallen down into the MAGA abyss.

I bet a lot of union workers are like my Dad. Democrat because of pro union and the union itself heavily pushed Democrats and even distributed “voting guides” that were basically down ticket dem. Then he retired and got his and bullshit culture wars are more captivating. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

I bet a lot of union workers are like my Dad. Democrat because of pro union and the union itself heavily pushed Democrats and even distributed “voting guides” that were basically down ticket dem. Then he retired and got his and bullshit culture wars are more captivating. 

It's also that technically the alt-right hits you with actual leftist issues. Problem is they blame (insert minorities) and not late stage captialism.

• True 3

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The dumbest elected body on the planet voted 52-43 in favor of 7 days of paid leave. All dems minus manchin and Cruz, Graham and two more nobody gopers voted in favor but that wasn’t enough to overcome the dumbass filibuster so the sick leave won’t be happening 

Was Ted Cruz trolling?

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The dumbest elected body on the planet voted 52-43 in favor of 7 days of paid leave. All dems minus manchin and Cruz, Graham and two more nobody gopers voted in favor but that wasn’t enough to overcome the dumbass filibuster so the sick leave won’t be happening 

Everyone should just quit. Call their bluff. The country can't afford to give them 7 days of sick leave a year? How would it afford everyone just staying home?

• Halal 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:49 AM, CayceG said:

MAGA chuds still deserve paid sick days and unforeseen time off. 

Nah, if we phrase it as people "deserving" these things then, at least in my mind, it sets up an easy means testing qualifier. These should be the minimum things an employer is required to provide for their employees. I don't think MAGA Chuds "deserve" days off, but it's a lot easier for me to agree that employers should have to provide these things to all employees! Same exact outcome, but one feels good to me and the other feels nasty, like a crusty sock. And as much as we like to pretend otherwise, we're all about them feefees.

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

BREAKING: The Senate voted to 80-15 to force a contract on rail workers.

Here are the Senators who voted no:
Cotton
Cruz
Hawley
Rubio
Rick Scott
Toomey
Collins
Tim Scott
Hagerty
Gillibrand
Merkley
Sanders
Hickenlooper
Warren
Sullivan

Well this is confusing for me.

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

“Most Union Supporting President”.

I mean he still is by a landslide but this is definitely problematic. I understand the politics angle, ever since I became a rep the amount of political shit I have to deal with is grafting.

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

If the GOP would go in on working class populism with actual policies, they’d clean up elections everywhere. 

Instead they scream about transing the children.

You expect neo-liberals to ever go in on working class populism? Daddy got his stock buybacks for their consulting job post Congress.

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I mean he still is by a landslide but this is definitely problematic. I understand the politics angle, ever since I became a rep the amount of political shit I have to deal with is grafting.

You expect neo-liberals to ever go in on working class populism? Daddy got his stock buybacks for their consulting job post Congress.

No, I don’t expect them to, I’m just saying if they were smart enough to, they could be crooked in a hundred other ways and most people wouldn’t give a damn.

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

No, I don’t expect them to, I’m just saying if they were smart enough to, they could be crooked in a hundred other ways and most people wouldn’t give a damn.

But then you’d have to deliver on some promises that will impact quarterly profits and there’s no way that’ll happen.

• True 1

20 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

“Most Union Supporting President”.

To be fair, had Trump been in office the National Mediation Board would be full of his anti-labor cronies since they are appointed by the president. The railroads would still be in negotiations with less leverage than they had leading up to this point. I honestly do believe they got a better deal because Biden was the president rather than Trump.

Delta Air Line pilots just got a new deal that really blows the other airlines out of the water. 34% pay raise over 4 years among other benefits. A strike vote with a labor favoring NMB can be some good leverage. Negotiations were very slow till the strike vote at Delta. 2 months later there is a deal.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, Link200 said:

To be fair, had Trump been in office the National Mediation Board would be full of his anti-labor cronies since they are appointed by the president. The railroads would still be in negotiations with less leverage than they had leading up to this point. I honestly do believe they got a better deal because Biden was the president rather than Trump.

Delta Air Line pilots just got a new deal that really blows the other airlines out of the water. 34% pay raise over 4 years among other benefits. A strike vote with a labor favoring NMB can be some good leverage. Negotiations were very slow till the strike vote at Delta. 2 months later there is a deal.

More the nature of the current job market. I was on strike when Obama was president and his Department of Labor helped get us back to work but the contract was a mixed bag. Pensions gone for new hires, higher health care costs, etc. I never really ran the numbers but I figured if you were single and didn't use your health care you were good but having family health care and using it probably puts you in a hole. 

We are a one party state. The capitalist party. It's just one of them wants to probably send minorities to death camps and the other is gonna be upset about the death camps but not stop them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

More the nature of the current job market. I was on strike when Obama was president and his Department of Labor helped get us back to work but the contract was a mixed bag. Pensions gone for new hires, higher health care costs, etc. I never really ran the numbers but I figured if you were single and didn't use your health care you were good but having family health care and using it probably puts you in a hole. 

We are a one party state. The capitalist party. It's just one of them wants to probably send minorities to death camps and the other is gonna be upset about the death camps but not stop them.

preach 

Just now, Zaku3 said:

It isn't but considering our situation we need perfect to thread the needle and we aren't getting it.

I’ll take progress, it’s a process, we’re doing good. Highest union support in decades; we can’t lose sight of this fact. I’m blessed, I want to be the example of what collective action can get you. But we need not lose sight that building a better world is bending the arm.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, Zaku3 said:

I'm just saying that having more favorable people in office can provide for better contracts. Do you think a McCain or Romney controlled DoL would have resulted in the same quality of contract? 

I know in the case of Trump the rail workers would have been screwed. He has a history of union busting and putting anti-labor individuals into power.