Alone in the Dark ("reimagination" of the first game for PC/PS/Xbox Series starring David Harbour and Jodie Cromer | 20 March 2024) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 90’s cult classic horror game.

Deep in the 1920’s south, Emily Hartwood’s uncle has gone missing. Together with private investigator Edward Carnby, she embarks on a journey to Derceto Manor to uncover the secrets of this mysterious place and the circumstances of her relative’s vanishing.

Encounter strange residents, nightmarish realms, dangerous monsters and ultimately unveil a plot of rising evil. At the intersection of reality, mystery, and insanity, an adventure waits that will challenge your core beliefs. Who can you trust, what will you believe, and what will you do next? 

Alone in the Dark is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alone in the Dark | Announcement Trailer - "reimagination" of the first game for PC/PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X|S

It kind of looks like that last HP Lovecraft game? It'll absolutely be 6/10 or 7/10 type of jank but could be good fun. It's not like it's raining Survival Horror so I'm cautiously optimistic to a degree.

The dialog is cheese central and that defiling of The Animals' version of House is brutal lol. Kinda funny though.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Gotta be better than the last Alone in the Dark I played, which was just a fuckin' travesty.

I assume that you’re talking about Alone in the Dark 2008, I kind of liked it. It had its fair share of issues, but I still somewhat enjoyed it. I still have my Xbox 360 copy. This new Alone in the Dark looks a lot better though.

I was a fan of the first two games and jack in the dark, so I’m curious about this one. If it can give me that same kind of atmosphere then I’m interested. It looks like it has a dark cartoony kind of vibe, which I think this franchise should have, so that’s a positive sign.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I was a fan of the first two games and jack in the dark, so I’m curious about this one. If it can give me that same kind of atmosphere then I’m interested. It looks like it has a dark cartoony kind of vibe, which I think this franchise should have, so that’s a positive sign.

Man I forgot about Jack in the Dark! I was probably 9 years old playing Alone in the Dark 1 & 2 when I would spend the night at my grandma’s house.  I remember actually being afraid of the monster that breaks through the window at the beginning of the first game. You had to slide a dresser or something in front of the window.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alone in the Dark ("reimagination" of the first game for PC/PS/Xbox Series starring David Harbour and Jodie Cromer, 25 October 2023) - "Spotlight" video and playable prologue released on Steam/PSN/XBL

The playable prologue is now available on Steam/XBL/PSN:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1685059067
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

This stand-alone prologue puts you in the tiny shoes of Grace Saunders – an 11-year-old girl delivering a letter, when things go horribly wrong… Experience the unique 1920s horror atmosphere of Alone in the Dark and prepare for the terror that awaits in Derceto Manor

STORE.PLAYSTATION.COM

Welcome to Derceto Manor

WWW.XBOX.COM

This stand-alone prologue puts you in the tiny shoes of Grace Saunders – an 11-year-old girl delivering a letter, when things go horribly wrong… Experience the unique 1920s horror atmosphere of Alone in the Dark and prepare for the terror that awaits in Derceto Manor

On 5/26/2023 at 7:01 AM, Xbob42 said:

That Prologue was 12 minutes of almost nothing. Incredible.

Lol ok it really is. But! The only thing this kind of teaser could tell us is if it looks good and runs well. And it looks good and runs well. So considering, that’s nice. I’m definitely interested in seeing more and I feel they did a pretty good job replicating the how the original atmosphere felt, if a bit less cartoony.

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alone in the Dark ("reimagination" of the first game for PC/PS/Xbox Series starring David Harbour and Jodie Cromer, 16 January 2024) - "Looking for Jeremy" trailer
  • 1 month later...
On 8/14/2022 at 6:21 AM, DarkStar189 said:

Man I forgot about Jack in the Dark! I was probably 9 years old playing Alone in the Dark 1 & 2 when I would spend the night at my grandma’s house.  I remember actually being afraid of the monster that breaks through the window at the beginning of the first game. You had to slide a dresser or something in front of the window.  

I got the anthology and actually played through Jack in the Dark last night! It’s still the perfect little creepy christmas season game. I love how it looks so much. Still has so much atmosphere.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Uhh, why does it have The Evil Within's exact UI? I mean, I guess they flipped it and changed the color?

3MLeIcY.png

MJ6Sc1w.png

I guess it's all derivative of RE4 (even RE4 Remake's UI looks more like The Evil Within's now) but still, a little too close to me, my first thought was "wait, I recognize this UI"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alone in the Dark ("reimagination" of the first game for PC/PS/Xbox Series starring David Harbour and Jodie Cromer | 20 March 2024) - "Everything You Need to Know in 60 Seconds" trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, stepee said:

Comes out in two days, reviews will be interesting! The rare game that I can’t get a feel on at all before launch.

No reviews yet is a bad sign as usual.

Calling it now it will score in the 6's.

Just now, best3444 said:

No reviews yet is a bad sign as usual.

Calling it now it will score in the 6's.

I don’t think so anymore I mean when are the DD2 reviews dropping? They have all sorts of reasons these days - hardly anything reviews early anymore. 

More curious about how it plays further in and length and stuff, and how the story holds up, it could get 6’s and still be good but I could see this being both worse than that or better idk

• True 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t think so anymore I mean when are the DD2 reviews dropping? They have all sorts of reasons these days - hardly anything reviews early anymore. 

More curious about how it plays further in and length and stuff, and how the story holds up, it could get 6’s and still be good but I could see this being both worse than that or better idk

Yea, I am curious in when DD2 reviews drop. It could also suck and the they didn't send any review copies out. :p