I got my bill from the hospital...

Remarkableriots

Call them and say you can't pay and ask to work something out. Good odds this is just the same number they would have submitted to the insurance company and they don't actually expect you to pay that amount, they just can't send you a bill for what they're actually willing to take because of insurance contracts.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Call them and say you can't pay and ask to work something out. Good odds this is just the same number they would have submitted to the insurance company and they don't actually expect you to pay that amount, they just can't send you a bill for what they're actually willing to take because of insurance contracts.

Hopefully they will do something like this. Most of the time they are happy to just trap you in a monthly payment program.  Never dealt with medical debt that big though. I hear how common it is to get stuck with huge medical debt so I'm sure it will still be an outrageous amount. "Here we'll give you a deal....$30k instead of $49k."

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

He's making fun of Adam Smith's "Invisible hand of capitalism" that's supposed to just magically sort everything out. 

Praise the invisible hand. Praise it. 

if you can’t afford a bill you should just try not being poor!

We’re not a country, we’re a corporation.

13 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

We’re not a country, we’re a corporation.

And a poorly-managed one at that.

Just to reinforce the point of this thread:

UYNJRQ6F7NAUXLLX7DD3AXGZB4.JPG
WWW.FOX19.COM

‘We don’t know what we’re going to do.’

The families of nearly a thousand Cincinnati Children’s patients are scrambling after a major insurer ended its contract with the world-renowned hospital in Avondale.

CareSource notified Cincinnati Children’s last month that it would terminate its Ohio Marketplace contract effective Aug. 1. As a result, according to a hospital spokesperson, about 1,000 patients considered “in-network” through insurance with Cincinnati Children’s and its physicians will soon be “out of network.”

• Sad 1