Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime Remastered coming this holiday season

On 7/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, GameDadGrant said:

I think *technically* it's the fourth time. 

1.) Original Gamecube version.

2.) Wii "Trilogy" collection.

3.) Wii U "Virtual Console" Trilogy release.

4.) Theoretical Switch Remaster. 

I hope motion controls are an option if this Switch version is a real thing. 

Videogame versioning is a complete shit show, and Prime is no exception. There are 3 distinct US GameCube versions alone. 

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right, but you don't need anecdotal evidence to prove this point (technically fallacies can't prove any point, except accidentally, but that's beside the point). Technology superiority speaks for itself in the data wired is always better than wireless (for the time being) due to latency and lag as I understand it. That's because of how data passes through mainly. It's the same with wired audio vs. wireless, wired controllers vs. wireless, and so on. 

fc18dc0577dfce76c45076df82127859--compil

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brick said:

So we've heard nothing about this. If it was coming this holiday you'd think Nintendo would have announced it by now. Are they going to wait 5 years to release it for the 25th anniversary of Metroid Prime? Lol

They are Nintendo. They are sitting on a lot of games and decide to announce them whenever they feel like it. :p

Especially Metroid games, or have you already forgotten? :whistlin:

A remaster of a GC-era game is the kind of thing they could announce and release with little to no buildup. It might make sense to wait until there’s real MP4 news. 
“Prime 4 will release Spring 2023. While you wait for that, here’s the original, remastered for Switch, available now.”

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are Nintendo. They are sitting on a lot of games and decide to announce them whenever they feel like it. :p

Especially Metroid games, or have you already forgotten? :whistlin:

Sure, but Dread was at least announced 3-4 months ahead of time at E3. Maybe Leon is right that they're waiting to show off 4 first. 

Side note: haven't used it yet :p

• Sicko 1

This all is one of the things I like most about Nintendo.  Each year there’s typically one or two substantive releases you won’t know about until 6 months before they’re out.

Xenoblade 3 was announced this year and we’re playing it now.  That’s still wild to me.  What other publisher would hold onto a project that big without a peep or a leak?

Of course they won’t do that for big Zelda sequels, but they’ve shown a capacity to surprise us with literally anything else.  That’s also a big reason why their E3 showcases get people hyped up.

Well I guess let's hope Nintendo pulls a surprise reveal in like a September Direct, and says it'll be out in October or November or something, but for a remake of a game as big as Metroid Prime that doesn't seem like a big enough pre-launch marketing window to drum up hype. 

I certainly do appreciate that Nintendo doesn’t give a lot of lead time for most of their games now. If you are ready to show it off then it should be pretty close to being ready to go, IMO.

As for the remake, it’s also about introducing the game to the gamers who weren’t playing back in 2002. Just because a company you like puts a remake/remaster out doesn’t mean you must buy it again. Loyalty doesn’t go very far here. 

I never finished Prime. I bought the original and still have the Trilogy disc for the Wii. Started it twice and fizzled out. I don’t see myself dipping again.