Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is the stories in the side quests worth it though? I don't need to level up etc if that's all there worth. 

Not sure how much worth it to you they would be. I just want everything to make my team strong and it bothers me to leave an area with things left unfinished. If you do all of Chadley’s battle simulator stuff you get some nice weapon experience and materia. The quest mostly reward with Gil. 

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Not sure how much worth it to you they would be. I just want everything to make my team strong and it bothers me to leave an area with things left unfinished. If you do all of Chadley’s battle simulator stuff you get some nice weapon experience and materia. The quest mostly reward with Gil. 

Hmm. I may not do the side quests then. Maybe if I do another playthrough I will do them. My team is level 24 but playing on easy there really isn't much insensitive to do side quests if the stories aren't interesting. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Hmm. I may not do the side quests then. Maybe if I do another playthrough I will do them. My team is level 24 but playing on easy there really isn't much insensitive to do side quests if the stories aren't interesting. 

They are basically like Remakes

27 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

It shows that some of you are new to JRPGS

Yea I'm basically very new to the genre. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

They are basically like Remakes

Ok I think I'll pass then. What is there to do in the grasslands?

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I'm basically very new to the genre. 

Ok I think I'll pass then. What is there to do in the grasslands?

You find the Remnawave Towers and unlock them which show new points of interest on the map and give XP to your party. Find the Intel Life Springs. Like 6 side quests. Find the Moogle hideout and do that quest. It’s so cute and it allows you to start buying stuff with your Moogle Medals. Lots of other points of interest that unlock intel for Chadley that opens up more Battles for the simulator. Tons of stuff. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You find the Remnawave Towers and unlock them which show new points of interest on the map and give XP to your party. Find the Intel Life Springs. Like 6 side quests. Find the Moogle hideout and do that quest. It’s so cute and it allows you to start buying stuff with your Moogle Medals. Lots of other points of interest that unlock intel for Chadley that opens up more Battles for the simulator. Tons of stuff. 

Ok I'll head back to the grasslands when I play shortly. I have no interest in battle simulator though. 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok I'll head back to the grasslands when I play shortly. I have no interest in battle simulator though. 

it gives you free materia instead of using lots of Gil to purchase it

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, cool. 

they are easy especially since you are at a higher level and they tell you what each ones reward is so if you don't want that materia simply don't do that one. They are some good materia though to get.

Finally finished up the entire Grass Land region along with everything in Kalm. Now I’m moving into chapter 3 and heading into the 

Spoiler

Mythril Mine

I am 16 hours and 9 minutes in @best3444   Everyone is sooo close to being Level 23. It won’t take long and they’ll be there. Damn I’m enjoying this game. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Finally finished up the entire Grass Land region along with everything in Kalm. Now I’m moving into chapter 3 and heading into the 

Reveal hidden contents

I am 16 hours and 9 minutes in @best3444   Everyone is sooo close to being Level 23. It won’t take long and they’ll be there. Damn I’m enjoying this game. 

You are really playing the game the right way honestly. Yes, it's a terrific game and I'm glad you're enjoying it it!

• Hugs 1

8 hours ago, eventide11 said:

It shows that some of you are new to JRPGS

The thing is, this game is very far from a JRPG.

If anything this game is closest to a Horizon or open world Ubi game complete with towers you have to unlock. Then all the sidequests are very [insert western RPG here] with a battle system that is super crazy.

It certainly does have it's quirky moments but saying someone is new to JRPGs in regards to this game is disingenuous.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If anything this game is closest to a Horizon or open world Ubi game complete with towers you have to unlock. Then all the sidequests are very [insert western RPG here] with a battle system that is super crazy.

It certainly does have it's quirky moments but saying someone is new to JRPGs in regards to this game is disingenuous.

It's just a unique game with a lot of different aspects to it. It is definitely a JRPG with some western influences. It's one of the better games I've played in recent memory. Yea I complained about the mini games but it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

You are really playing the game the right way honestly. Yes, it's a terrific game and I'm glad you're enjoying it it!

Well I'm not that good and I'm playing on normal so I wanted every ounce of XP, every Materia type, and weapon style. So I'm doing everything. and Oh My God 

Spoiler

defeating that last little kid in Queens Blood took me like 20 times. Their deck had several really good cards and I would get so close and then they would play one of those cards and I would lose by 2 or 3.  Finally beat that little brat before bed. It was the last thing I needed for the entire region.

Also I get what you are saying by "I'm playing the right way" but play it the way you want and have fun who cares.

@best3444 I've only completed the first part of Costa del Sol, but thought I'd let you know that you don't actually have to do all the mini games. On the boat ride over, you don't have to play in the tournament (you can forfeit immediately), to get to the beach you only need to play one mini game as Cloud, and for Tifa/Aerith, you can get the tickets by doing non-mini game activities once for each. I don't think you need to do the Red soccer at all. So you may have put yourself through more pain than you needed.

That said, I did them all :p 

13 minutes ago, legend said:

@best3444 I've only completed the first part of Costa del Sol, but thought I'd let you know that you don't actually have to do all the mini games. On the boat ride over, you don't have to play in the tournament (you can forfeit immediately), to get to the beach you only need to play one mini game as Cloud, and for Tifa/Aerith, you can get the tickets by doing non-mini game activities once for each. I don't think you need to do the Red soccer at all. So you may have put yourself through more pain than you needed.

That said, I did them all :p 

I did forfeit the tournament on the ship. So at Costa del Sol you only have go play the shooting game with Cloud to get to the beach, correct?

Then I'm confused what you said. How do I get Tifa and Aeith to the beach without doing the mini games?

I'm taking my time and enjoying the ride. I just cleared the grasslands, and am now working through the Junon region. I didn't get as much time with the game as I wanted due to the new puppy in the house, but so far the game is really great! 

• Like 2

Just left Kalm, now doing the grasslands region. It’s basically “what if FFXV was fun!”

I’m enjoying it but I’m noticing weird light things occasionally and when I google it I’m getting technical questions and not “why am I occasionally see lights that look like they’re guiding me somewhere” or “random puffs of green lights coming from the ground”.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm taking my time and enjoying the ride. I just cleared the grasslands, and am now working through the Junon region. I didn't get as much time with the game as I wanted due to the new puppy in the house, but so far the game is really great! 

Same but I don't want to burn myself out by doing all the side quests. But yea this game is better than I thought it was going to be for sure. 

Just now, MarSolo said:

Just left Kalm, now doing the grasslands region. It’s basically “what if FFXV was fun!”

I’m enjoying it but I’m noticing weird light things occasionally and when I google it I’m getting technical questions and not “why am I occasionally see lights that look like they’re guiding me somewhere” or “random puffs of green lights coming from the ground”.

Yes, I see these green lights to and I'm not exactly sure what activates them but it's kinda random but when I follow them they lead me to a good spot. 

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I did forfeit the tournament on the ship. So at Costa del Sol you only have go play the shooting game with Cloud to get to the beach, correct?

Then I'm confused what you said. How do I get Tifa and Aeith to the beach without doing the mini games?

For Cloud you only have to do the shooting game, or the puzzle based card game (which is easy since it's turn based, with few moves, and you can look up the answers easily). With Tifa you can just collect some of the scooters and for Areith you can just snap some pictures of cactature (or whatever they're called). You don't need to do the paino, nor red soccer. (I think there is also one more but I'm forgetting now)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, legend said:

For Cloud you only have to do the shooting game, or the puzzle based card game (which is easy since it's turn based, with few moves, and you can look up the answers easily). With Tifa you can just collect some of the scooters and for Areith you can just snap some pictures of cactature (or whatever they're called). You don't need to do the paino, nor red soccer. (I think there is also one more but I'm forgetting now)

I got ya now. Oh well it was a bit frustrating for me because it took away from the momentum but it's all good. Thanks for the info. 

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes, I see these green lights to and I'm not exactly sure what activates them but it's kinda random but when I follow them they lead me to a good spot. 

I just assumed it was the Mako coming up from below of the planet. 

17 minutes ago, legend said:

I love mini games! Can’t wait to get to this area. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’m soaking it all in and it’s so good!

:feelsgood:

• True 1
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yes but some of the things that are 'padding' game time like forced mini games etc have been in JRPGs since the mid 90s and maybe even before

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m soaking it all in and it’s so good!

:feelsgood:

I went back to do some side quests this morning so I didn't advance the main story. Good shit. 

• Like 1

It's kind of imperative that if you don't at least do the Chadley stuff, to at least do the side quests on the notice boards per city. With each side quest the game pairs you with one other specific party member (doesn't have to be someone in your combat party) and you'll get dialogue from the other party member while you do the side quest and upon completion your relationship with that party member will deepen, helping your synergy abilities, etc. in combat. So you do get story stuff and gameplay benefits from at least doing the story side quests. I mean, the one involving Broden (the innkeeper in Kalm) is a pretty direct side quest tie-in to a main plot point in the game. I do all the Chadley stuff too as it unlocks, but that's less involved than the notice board side quests.

I just did a bunch of stuff in Junon and finished everything in Kalm and the grasslands. Gonna continue finishing Junon stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

Yes but some of the things that are 'padding' game time like forced mini games etc have been in JRPGs since the mid 90s and maybe even before

Are you playing this? 

27 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Are you playing this? 

He's not. I woke up at 12am last night to tackle side quests and played to 3am. Then went to bed for a few hours and just played 3 more hours. Lol, this game is incredible. Way better than I anticipated even with the amazing scores. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What chapter is that? I think I know what you're talking about out. If I do, I had a character die on easy lol.