Talk to me about The Witcher 3

gamer.tv

I own The Witcher 3 on the PS4 (with all DLC) and on the Switch (base game). They were both for my wife, not me.

I’ve played maybe…half? I think? 

So, what would you play on? PS4 with everything, but you have to stay with the TV, or Switch, where you could play anywhere, have the telly on etc

It’s only 6 weeks till the summer holidays, so I need to get my entertainment ducks in a row.

100% on the PS4 and TV. The downgrade in visuals, framerate, pop in on switch are terrible. It's one game im sorry I bought for switch. Now that I have the deck, ill definitely never play it on switch. 

Im waiting for the ps5 upgrade to play it again. Ive been playing part 2 a little bit lately. I love the story branches in that game.

If it must be one of those options, then the PS4. But lets be honest, the console versions as they were were fairly neutered and I think had performance problems that while mostly smoothed out by now, still exist. I'm not saying you should get it on PC, but they *are* working on a next gen version. If you plan on getting (or already have) a PS5 or XSX, it might be better to wait for that version at this point.

A game I have never been able into for some reason. Interested to see what the new game adds other than fatality, is all DLC included? Anyway i'd buy the steam version if any but I'm pretty sure It's not the game for me. Never seem to get past 10 hours or so after a few different attempts in the past!

26 minutes ago, HardAct said:

A game I have never been able into for some reason. Interested to see what the new game adds other than fatality, is all DLC included? Anyway i'd buy the steam version if any but I'm pretty sure It's not the game for me. Never seem to get past 10 hours or so after a few different attempts in the past!

The next gen version? Yeah, I'm pretty sure the next gen version will have all the DLC included but I'm not sure if it's been confirmed. Thus far they've been pretty quiet about what it will entail other than ray tracing and other visual upgrades.

9 hours ago, legend said:

If it must be one of those options, then the PS4. But lets be honest, the console versions as they were were fairly neutered and I think had performance problems that while mostly smoothed out by now, still exist.

How is the PS4 version neutered? I have it, and it looks and performs good.

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

A game I have never been able into for some reason.

Same here, when I originally played it I was expecting something better based on the overwhelming praise for it. I didn’t stick with it because I was finding it to be a fairly by the numbers third person fantasy action RPG, but I do plan on playing it again and finishing it along with its DLC sometime in the future. However, when it comes to third person open world action RPGs I personally like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Ghost of Tsushima more myself. :shrug:

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Console games are generally neutered compared to their PC counterparts. Most stuff I'd never choose to play on console where PC is an option.

Of course if a gaming PC is an option that’s the way to go, but I think that calling console versions of games neutered by comparison is a bit of an exaggeration. Are they somewhat inferior? Sure, but not to the point where I consider them neutered.

Are you planning on upgrading to a new console eventually? If you're gonna get a PS5 personally I'd wait until they release the upgraded version of it (I think it's a free upgrade?). 

Otherwise without question the PS4 version. I played that version first and it ran fine at that time. 

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

How is the PS4 version neutered? I have it, and it looks and performs good.

Lower-end graphics settings compared to PC with frequent performance drops. At launch some areas I believe dropped to something like 20fps. I think it was improved with patches but was never a great performing title on consoles. In contrast, my impression is that the AC games were better optimized for consoles.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Lower-end graphics settings compared to PC with frequent performance drops. At launch some areas I believe dropped to something like 20fps. I think it was improved with patches but was never a great performing title on consoles.

I played it somewhat recently, and didn’t realize that it performed so badly on consoles at launch. But it was developed by CD Projekt Red, so I shouldn’t be surprised. :p The console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 were definitely neutered compared to the PC version.

• True 1

7 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I played it somewhat recently, and didn’t realize that it performed so badly on consoles at launch. But it was developed by CD Projekt Red, so I shouldn’t be surprised. :p The console versions of Cyberpunk 2077 were definitely neutered compared to the PC version.

The launch of W3 on console was not comparable to 2077's release. It just had framerate problems (and still isn't great, but thats the hardware, not the game).

19 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Of course if a gaming PC is an option that’s the way to go, but I think that calling console versions of games neutered by comparison is a bit of an exaggeration. Are they somewhat inferior? Sure, but not to the point where I consider them neutered.

I will 90% buy PC if there's the option. I know that that version if compatible for life and will never be console dependent with new variations of consoles needing a new purchase needed most times for nearly every game. PC if far superior in that respect, and having options al most always a plus.