We've installed a time lapse camera high above my Synchrotron project, let the fun begin!

Mr.Vic20

A critical step has occurred in terms of the project's ultimate goal , namely provided more beamlines off of the Synchrotron loop. Below are a series of shot of the contractor installing the through wall beamline sleeves for beamlines 6 (future IBM quantum gate testing) and 5(High Magnetic Field Experiment). These sleeves don't look like much, but they ensure the correct alignment tolerances to allow the lab to install a variety of future vacuum tubes, which serve as the actual beamline's path. 

IMG_2524IMG_2528IMG_2554

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its heavy weight concrete  shield wall placement time! It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but damn am I glad to be placing this wall as it means we are on schedule and no one will get radiated to death when the ring comes back to life in Oct, which is nice! 

Low Wall placement

And behind that placement the contractor is starting to water proof the Synchrotron ring so that we may bury it once more and I will hopefully never see its exterior again! 

Good night Ring, sweet dreams

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wall forms for the "Cave" section of the NEH are nearly complete! Placement of this heavy weight concrete wall system will occur this Friday. 

IMG_2905

And on the other side of the wall we have begun the process of encasing the exposed portion ofthe synch ring in "flowable fill" (concrete with sand instead of typical aggregates) 

IMG_2916

Looks like a mess, but this stuff is great and will protect the ring from major forces and better isolate it than the previous soils. Do to thermal massing we can only place this fill in 3 foot lifts so it will be about another week before the ring is fully entombed within its liquid embrace! 

• Shocked 1

The heavy weight concrete for the "Cave" system is now installed and the contractor will be focused on building the high wall of the NEH this week. Meanwhile, we have installed a somewhat elaborate path from the current lab to "Sector 7" a portion of the lab that is sitting in the middle of the construction site. We have to keep this lab operating while we build a building around it.  It s a logistical nightmare, but its come together and now you can walk the virtual path to it here: https://youtu.be/SaIJyZd8HJY

The contractor is now prepping the last part of the exposed synchrotron ring with its waterproofing detail before we completely incapsulate it in flowable fill (what the guy in the photo is standing on) this Friday.

WP low wall at ring

Here you can see the iron workers installing the high wall rebar that will be sealed in a form system for concrete placement, also taking place this Friday.

High wall rebar

Lastly, the contractor is installing a suspended slab for support system (all of the yellow sticks) in the caves in preparation for the cave ceiling to be placed next week. 

suspended slab support work

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Taps was played yesterday morning at 7am as the last of the flowable fill covered the ring, placing it to rest for another 20 years... This is a major milestone for the project, as the ring's value is fairly incalculable and therefore represented a major risk on this project. With it safely entombed once more, we can all take a small sigh and move on to the next stress point, getting enough materials over the ring to allow the radiation testing team to perform controlled scans of the area (looking for potential for leak points) once the ring fire back up on Oct 5th. 

68493291178__6A30418F-D34B-44C1-8B06-1412C0BAD0E3

IMG_3023

IMG_3026

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the big day! The LINAC (Linear Acceleration Cannon) will be energized (picture the death star power up sequence, its not far off) and we will find out if our radiation scientist modeling for coverage over the ring is correct, or if we are in a whole mess of trouble! The contractor has today and tomorrow to keep adding lifts of soil over the ring and compacting them, as shown here:

Soil cover over ring

Meanwhile, the CLASSE team is installing a shyte ton of lead bricks inside the ring/west flare as shown here:

Lead Brick in Crypt

And while all of that fun is happening north of the heavy weight concrete wall, the cave system to the south has been stripped from its forms and finishing work on its surffaces can commence:

Cave system

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today we place the last of the SOG (Slab on Grade) sections, thus completing the foundation portion of the project! From a project management prospective this is a major milestone because you will typically spend more contingency money on foundation work than any other scope in a big project. Getting out of the dirt, while it doesn't look like much can be very costly. It doesn't hurt that this means I can also close out my foundation permit, which is tied to a fist full of other permits, who's reporting requirements are a massive pain in the ass! 

Here we are prepping to begin concrete placement this morning:

IMG_3431

Today's placement is roughly 289 CYDs and will take around 30 truck loads to place. I'll, hopefully, update a few photos throughout the day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As we're rolling up on the end of the year, here is where the build stands:

North and East Highbay walls

Here you see the North and East walls of the high bay as seen from the south end of the on grade slab. The little spec sticking off of the brick tower in the background is the camera that takes the hourly update shots.

Stripping Forms on East Wall

Here you can see the contractor striping wall forms from he East high bay wall, from the top of the "cave system". 

Wilson Labratory Chilled water work

Here, the Plumbing contractor is removing old chilled water pumps to install newer units. As part of this project we are converting the whole complex from chiller towers (massive beasts!) to the campus district energy chilled water system. This facility uses 21,500 gallons per day to cool the ring, so managing the ring's thermal profile via heat shedding into our already warmed chilled water return loop will be a fairly green alternative to the current operations! 

• 4 weeks later...

Its time once again for show and tell:

NEH Construction Site

We flew our drone yesterday and captured the current condition of construction  on the New Experimental Hall site.

High bay topped out

Here you can see that the contractor has "topped out" the cast in place high bay walls of the facility and braced them to provide support prior to installing the truss system. 

Stagging area steel work in the East

The contractor is almost ready to apply decking to the structural steel in the "Staging area".  Once completed, they can begin roofing preparations on this section of the low roof. 

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What are your work hours? I ask this because you have a family and a great job AND can put over 300 hours into Elden Ring.

I'm genuinely curious because I just don't understand how you do it.

Couple of things you should know about me that will help understand my life:

* I'm at work from 5:30am-3:30pm Monday through Friday. (except during the summers when days can be 16 hours long, 7 days a week)

* I sleep 6 hours a night, sometimes 5 hours. 

* Outside of my job, I am HIGHLY anti-social. I have no time for people's drama or stories. (D1P excluded, of course)

* I'm a gamer, it is my primary hobby. If I'm not working out or playing with my kid, then I'm gaming!

* I've watch MAYBE 4-6 movies in the last 5 years, again, if I have free time, I'm gaming!

* Anything Soulsborne gets all my attention when it comes out. 

* My wife and I love podcasts, so I game with the sound off 90% of the time! This allows us to chat while I'm gaming. 

* My wife is my best friend, so we are really happy just hanging out with each other and our kids!

* All my groceries get delivered right to my front door, how nice!

* I almost NEVER shop in a store, as there is no longer any need to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Couple of things you should know about me that will help understand my life:

* I'm at work from 5:30am-3:30pm Monday through Friday. (except during the summers when days can be 16 hours long, 7 days a week)

* I sleep 6 hours a night, sometimes 5 hours. 

* Outside of my job, I am HIGHLY anti-social. I have no time for people's drama or stories. (D1P excluded, of course)

* I'm a gamer, it is my primary hobby. If I'm not working out or playing with my kid, then I'm gaming!

* I've watch MAYBE 4-6 movies in the last 5 years, again, if I have free time, I'm gaming!

* Anything Soulsborne gets all my attention when it comes out. 

* My wife and I love podcasts, so I game with the sound off 90% of the time! This allows us to chat while I'm gaming. 

* My wife is my best friend, so we are really happy just hanging out with each other and our kids!

* All my groceries get delivered right to my front door, how nice!

* I almost NEVER shop in a store, as there is no longer any need to do so. 

Now for the important questions:

Which side of the bed do  you sleep on with your wife?

What kind of refrigerator do you have? Is it one with the freezer on the side or the top or bottom?

Do you have a stand alone freezer?

You left out getting fuel for your car, how long does that take?

Salsa or guac?

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Now for the important questions:

Which side of the bed do  you sleep on with your wife? Left side 4 life!

What kind of refrigerator do you have? Is it one with the freezer on the side or the top or bottom? a fairly boring one, doesn't even have an ice maker. Freezer on top. 

Do you have a stand alone freezer? Yes, I have a second, stand alone freezer in my garage.

You left out getting fuel for your car, how long does that take? Never more than 2 minutes, I would guess? I fuel up on the way to work, so there is never anyone else there!

Salsa or guac? Trick question, the answer is always both! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It been a minute, but we're still on schedule and progressing nicely! 

Slab on deck placement over NEH staging area

Here the contractor is placing the first of three roof deck slabs. As you can see, they are doing this in cold weather, which makes concrete a different animal, soo.....

NEH staging area enclosed and heated for placement of concrete slab on deck

Beneath that placement we have temp enclosed this section of the building and brought this area below the deck being placed to a toasty 80 degrees! 

Steel erection in high bay

Meanwhile in the high bay, Steel is going up!