We've installed a time lapse camera high above my Synchrotron project, let the fun begin!

Mr.Vic20

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

:duckhuntdog:Every guy on that wall sucks down a carton a week and would laugh if I asked them to stop working. Also, I don’t control their company’s policies. I hold their contract, but not their safety plans or response to environmental situations. So unless Cornell directs me to shut it down, we roll on.

Good call. If someone sues you direct them to Cornell University. Which one has more money though you or them? 🤔

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

PedroAM - Bang! — Gladiator (2000) “We who are about to die,...

The Fourth of July is past and the Synchrotron ring is down for the summer! Now the project enters its final phase. With 4 months to go, every day will be a burner. 6 day weeks will become 7 day back to backs. As an added bonus, we've had another project imposed on the university as a requirement to get site approval for the NEH back in 2021. This project starts today and sees my contractor taking down every ceiling in all 6 floors of the existing Wilson lab to install a series of life safety upgrades. This means that I'm going to have about 3 dozen crew working around and above users in an occupied building during their maintenance cycle on the ring. The drama and offense should be at 11 by week's end. :sun: 

New chilled water connection to campus service installed

This husky lad is putting the final touches on the new main Chilled Water feed from the campus distribution system to Wilson/NEH. For your knowledge, the pipe is made of HDPE (High Density Poly Ethelene). Its a plastic pipe that is easier to work with than traditional ductal iron as each section can be fused together in the field. A cost and time saver. 

S7 mech room wall demo

The contractor has VERY carefully demoed the wall around Sector 7's active mechanical room in preparation for next week when we tear it all out and cut all of these existing systems over to their new feed in the penthouse mech space above. 

Installation of Insulation on South wall of NEH high bay

South wall insulation and light gauge frame and trim are going up to prepare for metal panel cladding in the next two weeks.

Grass and plantings starting on Campus Road slope

Plantings and jute matt over top soil are the opening salvo of site restoration! Much more to come... 

• Shocked 2
  • Hype 2

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a check in, as we just flew the drone this morning:

Top down view of Wilson West

Top down view of "Wilson West" as the building will be titled upon turnover. 

West end of Wilson West Looking East

The last of exterior brick veneer is on! Here we see the West end of the facility looking East. Hey look, the grass is finally taking root! 

NEH_Flight_090823_19

This is the North face of the building where the contractor is installing the curtain wall/glazing that will let some natural light into the high bay of the building.

NEH_Flight_090823_14

And finally here is the South face of the building where fenestration will begin in 2 weeks time. A little later, I will share some interior shots. 

office spaces roughed in

Interior office spaces getting roughed in

Interior brick

Interior brick matches exterior high bay walls to give it the look of "slicing" through the building

Main stairs to mezanine

Main staircase to the mezzanine level of the high bay. What's in the cooler on the left you might ask? Why its the locally famous "Breakfast Bunce", made by my site superintendent!

broad shot of the high bay

And here is a broad shot of the high bay from its northeast corner 

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a visitor the other day, I would have shared sooner, but there are security protocols I had to follow (I'm not press) :

Governor Hochul Visit

Bridge crane arrives on site

Our bridge crane (15 Ton hoist system) arrived yesterday! 

Bridge Crane Backing into High Bay

Like Spaceball One passing overhead, this puppy took a minute (actually 3:15 to be exact) to slide into the high bay

Bridge Crane hoisting into position

A crane to hoist a crane, what a world! 

BC bolting into rail system

Here the contractor is pinning the bridge crane to the inline carriage beams.   

• 2 weeks later...

We've completed the conversion of the lab's cooling systems from four massive on site evaporation towers to our district "Lake Source" Cooling system. Its a big deal for the lab, so naturally they are crowing about it. 

NEWS.CORNELL.EDU

Wilson Synchrotron Laboratory has tapped into the university’s Lake Source Cooling system, which uses cold water from Cayuga Lake to remove heat from the district chilled water loop that cools most Cornell facilities.

• Halal 2

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow is November 15th, and that means move in day for the customer group. Unfortunately it also means a high stakes game with the Authority Having Jurisdiction regarding our Certificate of Occupancy today. If he passes us, good things! If he doesn't very bad things, because we have an open house event for everyone at Cornell, starting tomorrow morning at 8am. Let's see how this goes... photos to follow at some point. 

The Journey is nearly over! We successfully passed our Certificate of occupany inspection and now we have four weeks remaining to perform "punch list" work and start closing this project out. Of course, this just leads to the next projects, namely HMF Enabling and Bemaline Enabling. Those will see me filling the monstrous space you see in the photos below with lost of equipment and infrastructure. That will carry on until next Fall. Here are a few shot of the 95% complete high bay and staging areas. 

Staging High bay looking north High bay looking west High bay looking south

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• 2 months later...

The time has come to start fitting out the new building using those shiny NSF dollars! :sun: First up is the installation of the structural framing for "Hutch 5/Cave2" this will house the 20 tesla magnet and provide radiation shielding from A/B/G particles while the beam line is in operation. 

Hutch 5 material delivery Swinging beams into place Hutch 5 structural frame erected

• Halal 1
  • Hype 3

• 3 weeks later...

OK! Radiation shielding and "Cave 2" have arrived! each linear foot of this cladding clocks in at a scant 225 lbs. So while this structure looks like an igloo version of a cyber truck and will win no beauty awards, its a hell of thing. What you are looking at (when the top panels go on) is 2 million dollars of engineering and manufacturing. This structure will receive sliding doors in about a month, each weighing in at 2.5 tons Mind your toes! 

Cav 2 Cave hutch

• Hype 2

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

It’s really amazing that someone who hangs out on D1P and is a gamer also does this kind of stuff for a living. I’m impressed as hell to be honest lol. 

D1P has it all man! We've had lawyers, teachers, researchers, body builders, a DOD accountant, and a journo or two (if we can count what Lopez does as journalism)  and whatever the fuck Brazil was/is! :sun:

• Haha 1