We've installed a time lapse camera high above my Synchrotron project, let the fun begin!

Mr.Vic20

Today we unearth the actual Synchrotron ring. This is step one of the risky part of this project. If the ring is damaged in anyway, were are looking at monthly liquid damages of 3 million. The contractor is appropriately concerned... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I have been checking in on this camera and Ima be honest, y'all need to stop fucking around and get to work. This is some straight Soprano's shit going on here.

Truth be told, we placed some complex requirements on the contractor and the initial work is slow. Its also difficult to see from that angle, but they have removed a massive amount of soils from site. Here is what the site looks like from below:

IMG_1854

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Truth be told, we placed some complex requirements on the contractor and the initial work is slow. Its also difficult to see from that angle, but they have removed a massive amount of soils from site. Here is what the site looks like from below:

IMG_1854

Pic straight out of TLOU2 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are these pictures taken by you? You're down in the dirt with everyone else?

Yup, I walk the site multiple times a day to ensure the contractor is compliant with a variety of code & standard based requirements. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. Although, I didn't really notice much change for the most part. Obviously it's not finished...

Right, at this point we've moved a ton of soils and installed 45 concrete piers below grade along with a ton of utilities. Now we are preparing to start placing concrete slab. The first placement is on July 25th. Completion is still 16 months away! 

• Shocked 1

On Thursday the 28th, we will place the first portion of the concrete slab on grade. This particular portion will be the floor directly beneath the high magnetic frequency experiment hutch and so there is no ferrous containing materials within that zone. the six concrete pillars poking up through the blue water proofing will be the legs that slab sits on as none of this building is a true "slab on grade" due to soil conditions on the site. While its true that the center mass of concrete will be ferrous free, the border of this slab will have a ton of iron to pin this "floating" portion to the rest of the slab on the ground floor. Once this placement is completed and the forms stripped away from it, the contractor will begin mass rebar/form work for the rest of the grade slab. Once the grade slab is in place, we will begin form and placing the north Heavy Weight Concrete, which will serve as the radiation shield for the Synchrotron ring just to the North of the new building. Its a nail biting time as I have until Oct 5th to get that wall in place! :sun:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So that thing on the right (middle) is supposed to become a structure? I kind of got lost in all your mumbo jumbo and it wasn't clear from looking at a pile of dirt. :p

Ha, yes, it will be come a big brick of concrete that will eventually join with many other bigger bricks of concrete. Together they will form Voltron a floor! :sun:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So what looks like a small platform is going inside an even bigger building? :o

Yup! The octagon is a radiation shield and zone of exclusion for the 20 tesla magnet that will be housed within it. The yellow platform is where we will house controls and monitoring systems. 

12 hours ago, EC1 said:

This thread is really entertaining. What kind of research will this thing be used for? Is the field you're in considered civil engineering?

This new facility will be used to research a variety of medicines, materials, and phenomena. The first experiment, slated to go online officially in 2026, will be to study the behavior of "high" tesla (20-50 tesla) magnetic fields. I am a project manager with background in IT, AV, and Security. Project Management is now its own field as there are so many forms of it. I am not formally trained beyond high school, but I have a lot of industry experience at this point in my life. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This new facility will be used to research a variety of medicines, materials, and phenomena. The first experiment, slated to go online officially in 2026, will be to study the behavior of "high" tesla (20-50 tesla) magnetic fields. I am a project manager with background in IT, AV, and Security. Project Management is now its own field as there are so many forms of it. I am not formally trained beyond high school, but I have a lot of industry experience at this point in my life. 

Can you get me a job there?

• Haha 1