State of Play on June 2

Keyser_Soze

If that’s the extent of their “E3 period” announcements I guess the optimistic side of me would say I guess Sony doesn’t give a shit about that specific time frame anymore. But if that’s not true and that’s like their wad for the year…woof.

25 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

If that’s the extent of their “E3 period” announcements I guess the optimistic side of me would say I guess Sony doesn’t give a shit about that specific time frame anymore. But if that’s not true and that’s like their wad for the year…woof.

Haven’t watched it yet, but didn’t they say this was 3rd party and VR focused?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony’s 1st party stuff is backlogged.  It’d be expected for Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch at least given the timeframe.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Haven’t watched it yet, but didn’t they say this was 3rd party and VR focused?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony’s 1st party stuff is backlogged.  It’d be expected for Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch at least given the timeframe.

They may have but even given that I dunno. I’m excited for RE4 and SF, but overall didn’t wow me. Was hoping for something unknown to get excited about i guess. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

They may have but even given that I dunno. I’m excited for RE4 and SF, but overall didn’t wow me. Was hoping for something unknown to get excited about i guess. 

i mean they tell us what the state of play is gonna focus on so if you get your hopes up that’s on you 

• True 1

Revisiting this show in retrospect...

Sony did the thing I hated most about E3 presentations of the past: they made it a 3rd party show.  I don't mind having a couple things in there by their partners.  But the major publishers should be hosting their own damn show (props Capcom) rather than piggy backing off Sony.  If Sony's games weren't ready yet due to the pandemic and what they released on PS5 already, that's understandable.  But this was still too much.  I don't think they should have held back the Last of Us remake either for Geoff.  Heck, delaying the Wolverine announcement until now could have been smart.

Overall, it's was a decent show, but also was the opposite of what it should be.  Sony bringing almost nothing to the table this year likely contributed to making the SGF showcase worse too.

... Side note, where the heck are EA and Ubisoft this year?

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Revisiting this show in retrospect...

Sony did the thing I hated most about E3 presentations of the past: they made it a 3rd party show.  I don't mind having a couple things in there by their partners.  But the major publishers should be hosting their own damn show (props Capcom) rather than piggy backing off Sony.  If Sony's games weren't ready yet due to the pandemic and what they released on PS5 already, that's understandable.  But this was still too much.  I don't think they should have held back the Last of Us remake either for Geoff.  Heck, delaying the Wolverine announcement until now could have been smart.

Overall, it's was a decent show, but also was the opposite of what it should be.  Sony bringing almost nothing to the table this year likely contributed to making the SGF showcase worse too.

... Side note, where the heck are EA and Ubisoft this year?

they told people beforehand it was gonna focus on third party games and VR 

Even though The Last of Us Part 1 seemingly landed with a thud at SGF  (leak or no leak, most people weren't too excited about it) it certainly probably would have hit better at Sony's own show. Street Fighter and RE4RE were cool to see but ultimately a waste because it's on everything and being shown at two other shows at the very least.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

If you had expectations different than what they said, that’s on you, though. They’ll likely do a first party one soon. I’d wait for that before making a stink.

My expectations for a 1st party (not-)E3 showcase is for 1st party to carry the show.  Not 1st party presents: 3rd party.  Of course I didn’t go into this thinking I’d see differently, because of how Sony qualified it.  But ultimately, this just isn’t what a Sony show should be.  Or a Microsoft one.  Or a Nintendo one.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Then what in the world are you complaining about?

The rest of what you didn’t quote.

I don’t think we’ll see a 1st party showcase any time soon, especially because of the pandemic.  I’d love to be wrong.  Microsoft did it that way in 2020.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You're upset that the third party showcase, which you knew was a third party showcase, didn't show first party titles and there's not a date for a first party showcase. 

Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

I’m annoyed that their show wasn’t their show so much as Summer Games Fest Showcase part 1.

If Sony brought the goods this year, both would have been elevated.  (Not-)E3 would have been much better this year.