The Batman coming to HBO Max on 4/18, UHD/Blu-ray on 5/24

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think there are DV UHD players. I guess I don’t understand why there would be DV UHD discs (which there definitely are) if there are no DV UHD players 😂

Did that finally happen? For the longest time DV wasn't available on physical. 

24 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Take Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as an example. It was the first UHD release from Disney. The disc got the HDR only treatment and still looks amazing, but the digital code gave you the 4K with the DV encoding. I think it’s also their way of enticing people to move from the physical media to their cheaper streaming/digital offerings instead. I stream but I’m still mainly a physical media buyer myself . . . minus ultimate gamepass (that the good digital shit there)

It's more the "I'll wait for physical" crowd. Why not both?

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Did that finally happen? For the longest time DV wasn't available on physical. 

There have been DV UHD discs since 2017

I know I own several Dolby Vision discs. No Way Home has Dolby Vision on the 4K disc, and my Oppo 203 plays DV. Sadly no available DV home projectors yet on the market, but my Sony tv is Dolby Vision capable. 

I personally I haven’t seen too much of a difference between HDR, HDR+ and Dolby Vision. Sometimes the colour has an ever so slight richer look in colour grading but you really got to be looking for it

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There have been DV UHD discs since 2017

I know, but there weren't many players iirc. Looks like there's a lot now, though.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I know I own several Dolby Vision discs. No Way Home has Dolby Vision on the 4K disc, and my Oppo 203 plays DV. Sadly no available DV home projectors yet on the market, but my Sony tv is Dolby Vision capable. 

I personally I haven’t seen too much of a difference between HDR, HDR+ and Dolby Vision. Sometimes the colour has an ever so slight richer look in colour grading but you really got to be looking for it

Maybe it's just me, but I've always noticed better color and picture on DV vs HDR. (B7 OLED, now CX OLED)

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I know, but there weren't many players iirc. Looks like there's a lot now, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always noticed better color and picture on DV vs HDR. (B7 OLED, now CX OLED)

I don’t think it’s just you, I think that’s how it’s supposed to work :P

Edit: And Disney’s streaming really is top tier and I wish others could get on their level

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t think it’s just you, I think that’s how it’s supposed to work :P

Edit: And Disney’s streaming really is top tier and I wish others could get on their level

Yea, I know that's how it's supposed to work, I was responding to "not seeing too much of a difference" :p 

HDR didn't wow me as much as I thought it would when I first got my B7, then I saw DV and went "my god"

I also, sometimes, maybe, get low/uncompressed rips of DV to run off a USB stick for things I own via streaming/have a sub to if I think the stream quality won't be great :whistlin:

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I know that's how it's supposed to work, I was responding to "not seeing too much of a difference" :p 

HDR didn't wow me as much as I thought it would when I first got my B7, then I saw DV and went "my god"

Lol yeah I was just playing, I don’t have an oled yet but even on my Vizio pq it’s quite apparent. Wish Windows had good global support already. HDR10 can looks fantastic too though imo, but I can never get the tone to look as “right” as with DV. 

Edit: There might be some room for preference though, DV is going to basically calibrate for you, if you have a preference for calibration that strays from the intended look then you might not like DV as much.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Lol yeah I was just playing, I don’t have an oled yet but even on my Vizio pq it’s quite apparent. Wish Windows had good global support already. HDR10 can looks fantastic too though imo, but I can never get the tone to look as “right” as with DV. 

The only other displays I've seen DV on are my iPhone (lolololol) and a Sony X850f. On the Sony both HDR and DV made me kinda sad compared to my OLED :(

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The only other displays I've seen DV on are my iPhone (lolololol) and a Sony X850f. The Sony, both HDR and DV made me kinda sad compared to my OLED :(

I have an older Sony tv with hdr too in my bedroom and it’s hdr is ehhhh. It’s a tv that has both hdr and 3D though which is rare so there’s that at least.

HDR generally is a mess at this point. At least DV has Dolby QCing the masters. But there is really no reason HDR10+ couldn’t look exactly the same as DV.

What we really need is the TV manufacturers to build really good tone mapping into their SOCs so no matter whether the video has good metadata or not, the TV will produce a great result.

I have seen a few high end image processors that produced better results than any of the pre-packaged metadata formats. Only a matter of time before the tech gets down in price.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

HDR generally is a mess at this point. At least DV has Dolby QCing the masters. But there is really no reason HDR10+ couldn’t look exactly the same as DV.

What we really need is the TV manufacturers to build really good tone mapping into their SOCs so no matter whether the video has good metadata or not, the TV will produce a great result.

I have seen a few high end image processors that produced better results than any of the pre-packaged metadata formats. Only a matter of time before the tech gets down in price.

I'm hoping QD-OLED and the increased brightness without worrying about heat causing burn-in (and, eventually, micro-LED TVs) will finally allow for HDR/DV to have the insane brightness we want/need. I know the new ASUS mini-LED (not even micro-LED) monitors with DV and HDR1500 support are absolutely insane (And priced equally insane).

I really am looking forward to a content standard/tv situation where everything is just always toned perfect on every scene without any adjusting. I’ve gotten more anal about color tone (mostly talking about gaming now) so also really looking forward to getting an oled finally as having pure blacks will help that a lot too.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really am looking forward to a content standard/tv situation where everything is just always toned perfect on every scene without any adjusting. I’ve gotten more anal about color tone (mostly talking about gaming now) so also really looking forward to getting an oled finally as having pure blacks will help that a lot too.

I just put everything in Vivid mode. Is that wrong?

:pratt:

• Sicko 1

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Being at 5+ years of OLED in our bedroom, even my wife has become a pure black snob 😂

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
2022.08.12-06.33-boundingintocomics-62f5
BOUNDINGINTOCOMICS.COM

Chris Wozniak's crusade to prove Matt Reeves based The Batman on a treatment he submitted years ago continues.

This will get a decent settlement more than likely.

I didn’t watch the video, but if that article (and the shot of the lists side by side) are any indication of the quality of his argument, I think he’s stretching it a bit…Batman stories can get a little complex, but it’s not like the overall narrative arcs of most superhero stories are particularly diverse- they all tend to follow pretty beats. Citing things like ‘Batman being in a stage in his career’ is ridiculous because Batman is by nature always going to be at a stage in his career. 

22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I didn’t watch the video, but if that article (and the shot of the lists side by side) are any indication of the quality of his argument, I think he’s stretching it a bit…Batman stories can get a little complex, but it’s not like the overall narrative arcs of most superhero stories are particularly diverse- they all tend to follow pretty beats. Citing things like ‘Batman being in a stage in his career’ is ridiculous because Batman is by nature always going to be at a stage in his career. 

It's a little more specific than that.

• 5 months later...

The video is now private, but the screen grab they pulled is not exactly convincing.

2022.08.11-10.53-boundingintocomics-62f5

I don't even think he's being very honest about what's in The Batman. Sure Riddler grew up in an orphanage, and it's a plot point, but "surrogate family" doesn't really play into it. If anything, his online community is far more important. I also think it's a pretty big difference between global Armageddon and plague vs Gotham is in trouble (which is pretty standard for the Batman movies). While you can certainly argue that Gotham flooding is biblical, it's certainly not presented that way in the film.

He also says that punks vandalizing an abandoned bank doesn't many any sense in Reeve's film, but I don't agree. It's a tiny sequence of little consequence, but it does show that Gotham isn't in a great economic place, which is rather important to the whole plot surrounding the renewal fund.

The other thing he brings up is Batman injecting himself with something when fighting Riddler's followers, which might be the only compelling thing listed. I just wrote it off as adrenaline, but it wouldn't surprise me if some version of the script explained it one way or another.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

The other thing he brings up is Batman injecting himself with something when fighting Riddler's followers, which might be the only compelling thing listed. I just wrote it off as adrenaline, but it wouldn't surprise me if some version of the script explained it one way or another.

i thought it was a precursor to Bane's Venom.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

The video is now private, but the screen grab they pulled is not exactly convincing.

I don't even think he's being very honest about what's in The Batman. Sure Riddler grew up in an orphanage, and it's a plot point, but "surrogate family" doesn't really play into it. If anything, his online community is far more important. I also think it's a pretty big difference between global Armageddon and plague vs Gotham is in trouble (which is pretty standard for the Batman movies). While you can certainly argue that Gotham flooding is biblical, it's certainly not presented that way in the film.

He also says that punks vandalizing an abandoned bank doesn't many any sense in Reeve's film, but I don't agree. It's a tiny sequence of little consequence, but it does show that Gotham isn't in a great economic place, which is rather important to the whole plot surrounding the renewal fund.

Yeah, I was like…really? And Reeves has been very open about all the places he borrowed from, so why hide the ball on this dude’s contribution if it were accurate?

10 hours ago, TwinIon said:

What is this in reference to?

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i thought it was a precursor to Bane's Venom.

It was just epinephrine.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

What is this in reference to?

It's from this article:

On 8/12/2022 at 4:15 PM, skillzdadirecta said:
2022.08.12-06.33-boundingintocomics-62f5
BOUNDINGINTOCOMICS.COM

Chris Wozniak's crusade to prove Matt Reeves based The Batman on a treatment he submitted years ago continues.