The Batman coming to HBO Max on 4/18, UHD/Blu-ray on 5/24

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Batman coming to HBO Max on 4/18, UHD/Blu-ray on 5/24
46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I wonder if theaters would take a major hit if more movies came to streaming after 6-weeks? I don't mean on subscription, but where it was like, I dunno, $25-40 to "rent" the movie on iTunes/Vudu/Google/Whatever.  

Nope. And 45 days is the new standard. The vast majority of films make 95% of the total take in the first 4 weeks of play.

Uni is doing something slightly different with their 45-days-unless-it-bombs arrangement where titles will drop on the 3rd Tuesday after release if they are on pace to make under…50 million in total domestic box office.

it is very apparent windows were too long in the modern age of home video, but day and date was also a failed strategy as it made expensive properties into just one of dozens of new pieces of content hitting the streaming landscape each week.

I think Uni’s approach of 45/17 is the most sensible for the industry, including theaters.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:
Robert-Pattinson-The-Batman2.jpg
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

The Robert Pattinson reboot The Batman will be streaming on HBO Max in April of 2022, 45 days after it was first released in theaters.

I approve of ~6-week after theatrical release streaming.

The 18th is a Monday so it will either release the Friday before or the Friday after. Don't see this dropping on a Monday... Definitely buying the 4K bluray as well though.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The 18th is a Monday so it will either release the Friday before or the Friday after. Don't see this dropping on a Monday... Definitely buying the 4K bluray as well though.

45 days is the Sunday, so Monday is the first day they can put it out. Expect to see Monday as their release day for theatrical exclusives after the window moving forward

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Spider-Man No Way Home was not 45 days
:sadsun:

Somy is the only company that hasn’t yet moved to this new paradigm. They are always a little odd because of the Japanese influence on their Hollywood operations.

It should also be noted 45 days in the minimum, if a studio wants to wring out more money they can go longer if they choose, they just can’t go shorter than 45 days. The vast majority of films though will be done with their money making by the 45 day mark.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Somy is the only company that hasn’t yet moved to this new paradigm. They are always a little odd because of the Japanese influence on their Hollywood operations.

It should also be noted 45 days in the minimum, if a studio wants to wring out more money they can go longer if they choose, they just can’t go shorter than 45 days. The vast majority of films though will be done with their money making by the 45 day mark.

Did Sony have say for NWH? I figured that was Disney.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Did Sony have say for NWH? I figured that was Disney.

NWH is indeed a Sony title, so the terms were dictated by Sony. Feige and his Marvel Studios people are the real producers of the film, but Sony still owns it and finances the majority of these Spidey MCU entries with Disney fronting a minority share.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

NWH is indeed a Sony title, so the terms were dictated by Sony. Feige and his Marvel Studios people are the real producers of the film, but Sony still owns it and finances the majority of these Spidey MCU entries with Disney fronting a minority share.

If Multiverse of Madness isn't on streaming by end of June/early July I'm holding you responsible :sadsun:

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If Multiverse of Madness isn't on streaming by end of June/early July I'm holding you responsible :sadsun:

Cinemacon is in a couple of weeks and I am sure all the studios will talk about their streaming strategy extensively there. I’ll let you all know what they say 😊

20 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ok gonna wait for 4k UHD. I suffered the wait for No Way Home and thus far totally worth it.

Same here and I’m still waiting on watching my 4K Spider-Man copy I purchased today. God willing they aren’t lying anymore and my receiver is here in the next 2-4 weeks. Still pissed off that no market is carrying/selling the movie on 3D disc, because the first 2 were amazing in theatres and at home. Surprisingly I was able to preorder The Batman steelbook from Best Buy Canada just a couple hours ago. 

41 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Same here and I’m still waiting on watching my 4K Spider-Man copy I purchased today. God willing they aren’t lying anymore and my receiver is here in the next 2-4 weeks. Still pissed off that no market is carrying/selling the movie on 3D disc, because the first 2 were amazing in theatres and at home. Surprisingly I was able to preorder The Batman steelbook from Best Buy Canada just a couple hours ago. 

I dislike streaming actually. Mainly because of the quality. Netflix looks horrid. Youtube is bad. The best is Disney but UHD blu ray still edges it out. 

I like going to the movies but my friends are at teh stage in life where they hsve wives, fiances, and/or kids so it's hard to hang out with them. Having said that I am starting to prefer watching movies at home. UHD blu ray on a 65in OLED is so good. I have an onkyo reciever and I don't recall my tower speakers. Bought them in 2010 for the World Cup and each one was 1400 or something so I guess they are good. (Lol) 

I'm not suprised you couldn't find a copy. We are a small slice of the entertainment market. I just hope we get better streaming quality before studios drop home video. It will suck but I have kinda stopped watching tv shows and movies. I kinda find myself watching youtube more then anything. History videos, video game streams, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I dislike streaming actually. Mainly because of the quality. Netflix looks horrid. Youtube is bad. The best is Disney but UHD blu ray still edges it out. 

I'm not suprised you couldn't find a copy. We are a small slice of the entertainment market. I just hope we get better streaming quality before studios drop home video. 

Yeah I’m still not 100% on streaming myself. I agree Disney+ ain’t bad for their stream and for some reason have mixed their Atmos tracks louder for the stream then on disc. I will also admit that it doesn’t sound just as discrete as the disc Atmos track which has a lower volume setting. Hopefully a 3D streaming service will eventually happen or like what happened with Hotel Transylvania 3, get a release 2 years later from another small time distributor. Still gotta import my The Eternals and Shang-Chi 4K/3D copy from Amazon Japan. (Pissed I missed out on the steelbooks)

Crap thst is the marvel movie I forgot about. The eternals need to hunt that down and work on my MCU backlog. 

I need to watch the Disney+ shows as well. I did finish Falcon and the Winter Soldier but haven't Wandavision, Loki, and the others.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Omg this movie is amazing. Did you get your copy? This is legit Endgame/Inifinty War tier.

Edit: should have been a two part movie. Omg

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Omg this movie is amazing. Did you get your copy? This is legit Endgame/Inifinty War tier.

I have my 4K copy just waiting and screaming at me to watch, but I’m still waiting on my receiver to watch this (8 months at the end of April, but should be here by then or a week afterwards) I want my big sound, big screen, for my big movies. It’s been an agonizing 8 months of waiting and my collection just keeps growing. 

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I guess I'm just confused by the "I need to watch this on physical" when DV looks better?

i think it really depends on the stream source and the quality of the physical. 

discs from disney for example are pretty shitty. it can also vary scene to scene. one looks better on streaming and then the next scene looks better on disc. 

Take Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as an example. It was the first UHD release from Disney. The disc got the HDR only treatment and still looks amazing, but the digital code gave you the 4K with the DV encoding. I think it’s also their way of enticing people to move from the physical media to their cheaper streaming/digital offerings instead. I stream but I’m still mainly a physical media buyer myself . . . minus ultimate gamepass (that the good digital shit there)

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Because UHD players don't do DV. It's streaming only afaik.

I think there are DV UHD players. I guess I don’t understand why there would be DV UHD discs (which there definitely are) if there are no DV UHD players 😂