Take care of your health before it takes care of you

brucoe

Let's just chalk this one up to the "do as I say, not as I do" category of life lessons.

Over the last few weeks, right about the middle of the whole Ukrainian war thing (thanks, Putin), I started to notice a real problem with my weight control. I was gaining massive amount of weight, and it didn't make any sense. So, doing what I normally do, I changed my eating habits massively and started losing some of that weight off. And then it continued shooting back up again (except now I was barely eating). So, not thinking rationally, I figured I would just exercise more and started running more often, right before realizing that I was having trouble doing that. So I tried long walks, and then I found that I was having difficulty doing that.

Turns out, my kidneys have completely collapsed and didn't have the courtesy of at least explaining to me what was going on. After some quick blood testing, my doctor has decided to admit me into the hospital (decided to wait until Monday because over the weekend would mean no doctor could actually see me until Monday anyway).

I can't even begin to describe the pain I've been going through (and I've been shot before).

So, take this as some brotherly advice that if you suspect something's wrong, pay attention to it. I probably ignored too many warning signs and really wish I hadn't.

• Sad 7
  • Shocked 2

Just now, stepee said:

That’s rough man, hope you get better soon. That sucks that you have to wait all weekend, that sounds crazy to me. Are you going to need a new kidney or do you know?

They're going to put me on a kidney waiting list, but unless your name is Clinton or Trump, getting one is kind of like winning the lottery.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My friend had some kidney troubles over the past couple of years too. If you piss starts getting super foamy there is a problem.

Yup , I have high levels of proteins in my urine caused by kidney disease. My pee is always super foamy.

• Sad 1

That’s awful, I’m sorry to hear it. I try to be somewhat proactive with my health, though I could always do better. I have labs checked twice a year due to my medication. 

Keep us updated. Dialysis is rough. One of my dear friends from work had to retire early due to her health and renal failure was the main component. She’s currently hospitalized now and I’ve been visiting her when I’m at work. Her peritoneal dialysis isn’t working and they’re going to have to escalate. Breaks my heart. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Yup , I have high levels of proteins in my urine caused by kidney disease. My pee is always super foamy.

Yep. My eGFR and all other things blood and urine numbers are good, but I spill protein due to some kidney damage. Fortunately my diabetes has been under pretty much perfect control the last 3 years with an A1C in the 5.3-5.6 range consistently, and I’ve lost a decent amount of weight (I was 255-260 for a long time, now 195-200), so my general health has also improved. 

At some point I’m going to need to start cutting down my meat based protein a bunch in favor of more plant based protein and I just don’t want to.

Praying for you man. That sounds awful.

I’m going through this vicious irrational cycle right now where I keep gaining weight and avoiding seeing a doctor because he’s just going to tell me bad news. 

Also I do notice my pee is bubbly but apparently there’s a difference between bubbles and foam. Hard to distinguish if it’s one or the other. I need to just see a doctor and get my blood tested for peace of mind.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

(I was 255-260 for a long time, now 195-200)

Very nice, that's not an easy task.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

At some point I’m going to need to start cutting down my meat based protein a bunch in favor of more plant based protein and I just don’t want to

Same, but I already struggle with meeting my protein needs with a mix of meat/veg even with supplements. That and meat is so ubiquitous its feels but impossible to avoid.