Afghanistan Update: people are selling babies, young girls to survive and it's the fault of the United States as UN donor conference fails to reach $4.4 billion goal

• 5 weeks later...

Let's be serious. America didn't go to Afghanistan to instigate 'regime change'. Whatever band of haggard assholes they tied together as government were as much assholes as the last guys, just less interested in piety and more in bleeding the coffers offshore. Now that America is done with whatever, the money that is the PROPERTY OF THE CITIZENS OF AFGHANISTAN is being divvied up by the colonial force that sat their ass on the people's chest for the last 20 fucking years. And the 'slippery slope now is 'what about terrorism'? Listen bucko. Terrorism is much more a force in the lives that America touches than the home soil that serves as the pinnacle of excess in the world. No one with a modicum of comfort gives a shit beyond maintaining it. And those with the most are ones all too interested in denying others. Learn about the fucking world already.

3482.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

To take Afghan money to pay grieving Americans in order to punish the Taliban is nothing less than larceny as collective punishment

The idea that bankrupting the Afghan Central Bank will starve the Taliban begins to look even more ridiculous and craven when you discover that, under current US rules, non-governmental organizations operating in Afghanistan are “permitted to pay taxes, dues and import duties to the Taliban as long as the payments are related to the authorized activities”. This is probably the only way that some aid can enter the country, but it also illustrates just how hypocritical Biden’s executive order is.

I see...

AP19325570974052-Lee-Wolosky-Afghanistan
THEINTERCEPT.COM

The U.S. seizure of Afghan government funds after the Taliban took power has put millions at risk of starvation.

A LEAD ATTORNEY for some families of 9/11 victims who sued the Taliban — plaintiffs who could receive billions of dollars as a result of the Biden administration’s decision to seize the reserves of the Afghanistan central bank — also worked until January at the Biden White House on Afghanistan issues. Lee Wolosky, co-chair of the litigation department at the law firm Jenner & Block LLP, was appointed to aid with Afghan evacuees in September 2021 and returned to his firm last month.

After the fall of Kabul, the U.S. government seized the assets of the country’s central bank, and last week the administration announced it would hold half of the roughly $7 billion for families who had brought suit against the Taliban, and deploy the other half at some undetermined point in time “for the benefit of the Afghan people.”

On Monday, Wolosky himself signed a brief asking the judges in the families’ case against the Taliban to move forward with enforcing the settlement. The long-running lawsuit stands to be a lucrative payday for the high-powered attorneys working on the once long-shot case. Lawyers often take a percentage of damages awarded, which in this case easily puts the payout into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

While the focus has shifted to the Russian-made tragedy of Ukraine, let's not lose sight of the American-made tragedy of Afghanistan:

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

‘We are not punishing the Taliban, we are making it worse for the people,’ says former UK foreign secretary

The west has inflicted catastrophic damage on Afghanistan and its own reputation by imposing a policy of starvation on the country, according to David Miliband, the former UK foreign secretary and chief executive of the International Rescue Committee.

“If we wanted to create a failed state we could not have a more effective policy mix than the one we have at the moment,” he told the Guardian.

Taliban fighters at the Hazrat-e-Ali shrine in Mazar-i-Sharif in December 2021.

Miliband has been at the forefront of those lobbying the Biden administration and the World Bank to release cash not only for humanitarian aid but also to start reconstructing the economy.

“I simply do not understand the lack of urgency to get this thing moving. It genuinely befuddles me that we should have allowed this to get so much worse so quickly,” he said.

The families losing their loved ones to hunger suicide in Afghanistan (Prospect)

As more than half of Afghanistan’s population face hunger, some parents have lost hope

Aziz Aryan worked in the Afghan National Army for 11 years in Ghazni and was the sole breadwinner for his family. After the Taliban’s unexpected takeover last August he was unemployed and forced to flee his village with his wife and four young children, as the Taliban was searching for him.

He left Ghazni before the Taliban reached the city and went to Spin Boldak, a district of the Kandahar province, to protect himself and his family from the Taliban’s revenge. He requested financial help from relatives, friends, and businessmen, but no one offered him any. Eventually, when he could no longer tolerate watching his children starve, he decided to end his life on 2nd February.

“My husband saw the cries of hungry children for months and tried several times to earn money and feed children, but failed and committed suicide as he lost hope,” says Samia, Aziz’s 35-year-old widow. “His suicide has further mounted our tragedy.”

The hardships that Samia and her four children faced did not end there. The family’s struggle with hunger only worsened after Aziz’s suicide. Before his death, Aziz sometimes begged in the city to buy naan, but now—as the Taliban has forbidden many women from working—Samia cannot go out to work or beg to feed her children.

“Sometimes I think that committing suicide is the best option for me as well to save myself from the current catastrophe, but then I think hunger will kill my children. I am living to protect them from the killing of famine,” she says. “The Taliban are responsible for my husband’s suicide because they deprived him of the job, displaced him from his native area, and brought tremendous miseries in our family, which compelled him to commit suicide.”

People are dying by suicide across Afghanistan because of starvation, as the US has frozen the Afghan Central Bank’s assets and the IMF suspended access to funds after the Taliban takeover. The World Bank had also halted funding for the country—though it has now approved a package of $1 billion to address the population’s urgent needs. More than half the population, around 23m Afghans, are suffering from hunger. Millions of dollars in lost income after the collapse of the government, soaring food prices, a liquidity crisis, and shortages of cash have deprived much of the population of access to food, water, shelter, and health care.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: "hunger suicides" are a reality in Afghanistan and it's the fault of the United States
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Afghanistan Update: people are selling babies, young girls to survive and it's the fault of the United States
AfghanHunger-2.jpg?resize=1200%2C630
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Dire economic situation sees children dying of starvation as millions of Afghans struggle to put food on their tables.

It has been more than 24 hours since Farahanaz, whose name has been changed to protect her identity, has had a “proper meal”.

“As adults, we can manage, but when the kids ask for food, I don’t know what to tell them,” the 24-year-old former radio presenter from northern Afghanistan told Al Jazeera.

When the family are able to eat, it’s often only bread, and sometimes with vegetables, accompanied by watered-down green tea. Sometimes there is sugar to put in the tea, which is a rare luxury these days, as they struggle to survive after Farahanaz, the sole breadwinner for the family of eight – lost her job after the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan last August.

“My younger sister was recovering from surgery when the Taliban took control and lives were overturned. She has lost so much weight, and falls sick when there isn’t enough to eat,” Farhanaz said. But the family cannot afford medical assistance, either.

Farhanaz’s family is among the 23 million Afghans facing starvation, in what has become a hunger crisis of “unparalleled proportions”, according to Dr Ramiz Alakbarov, deputy special representative of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

8640.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

UK pledges £286m as Russian foreign minister says west is responsible for country’s humanitarian crisis

The world’s donor drought, and growing global divisions over Afghanistan’s political direction, have been laid bare when a UN appeal for $4.4bn (£3.35bn) to help Afghanistan fell massively short, the second UN donor conference in a month to do so.

A UN Yemen pledging conference a month ago raised only $1.3bn against a target of $4.3bn, of which nearly $600m came from the US alone.

Some of the longstanding donors in the Middle East, notably Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, appear to be holding back, although Qatar is heavily committed to the Afghan process and acted as a co-sponsor of Thursday’s conference.

In a sign of a growing global diplomatic split over Afghanistan, the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, claimed the donor conference had been hastily assembled at a fortnight’s notice and it was for Nato countries to clear up their mess in the country.

• Sad 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Afghanistan Update: people are selling babies, young girls to survive and it's the fault of the United States as UN donor conference fails to meet $4.4 billion goal
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Afghanistan Update: people are selling babies, young girls to survive and it's the fault of the United States as UN donor conference fails to reach $4.4 billion goal

Are they any good articles you guys have read describing what the expected situation would have been with the US looting on the way out? I don’t really understand where the money would have gone and how it would have been used were it released back to Afghanistan.