Gifted A Quest 2: Where To Start?

Moa

I can't believe I still have never even tried a VR unit before. I want one, I will have one some day, I just want like the best of the best and didn't want to have to set up sensors all around my house, and was wanting a really good resolution too, decent Htz. I really want to play half life Alex, but I've spent my allowance for the year....lol I guess I'll jump on the Quest 3 when that comes out and get the cable for PC gaming! I'm interested in your experiences with it though, post impressions when you have the time plz...

9 hours ago, Moa said:

I’ve had some stuttering with airlink and am also using an Orbi mesh network. It hasn’t been a big deal but now I’m wondering if virtual desktop would be an improvement. 

I have no idea if the issue is unique to me. I have the AX4200 with two satellites. I have the router on my first floor and one satellite on the second and another in the basement. Virtual Desktop works everywhere in the house for me, even the basement. I have a strong 1200Mbps connection from the Quest 2. AirLink is unusable for me. The lag and stuttering just makes for a really unsatisfying experience, where as being able to play like Alyx in an empty garage over Virtual Desktop is pretty damn cool.

It's actually pretty frustrating because everyone keeps saying AirLink works great and all I can think is that I don't have a shitty WiFi setup at home, so what the hell is going on.

11 hours ago, HardAct said:

I can't believe I still have never even tried a VR unit before. I want one, I will have one some day, I just want like the best of the best and didn't want to have to set up sensors all around my house, and was wanting a really good resolution too, decent Htz. I really want to play half life Alex, but I've spent my allowance for the year....lol I guess I'll jump on the Quest 3 when that comes out and get the cable for PC gaming! I'm interested in your experiences with it though, post impressions when you have the time plz...

I think depending on your setup the Quest 2 feels like a fully baked device. It works well as an independent device, can stream through the PC wirelessly, and is at by far the most competitive price. It also has a good resolution (3644 x 1920) and has a 120 hz mode. It's obviously not a 100% perfect future-proof device, but it checks all the boxes I thought of as prerequisites to get VR and also comes at a low enough price tag that when better headsets come out I won't feel awful.

We got my son one for christmas so this is helpful. 

so far we picked up Creed, Beat Saber, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy and Job Simulator. 

hes been mostly playing Creed, in fact so much that he was sore AF last night. :rofl:

I had no idea we could setup a wireless connection from my PC.  My PC os already wired so I need to check that out. would love to try Half-Life. However, Im still on a i7-4770K and a 980ti. Will that be enough juice to run it?

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

so far we picked up Creed, Beat Saber, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy and Job Simulator. 

hes been mostly playing Creed, in fact so much that he was sore AF last night. :rofl:

I had no idea we could setup a wireless connection from my PC.  My PC os already wired so I need to check that out. would love to try Half-Life. However, Im still on a i7-4770K and a 980ti. Will that be enough juice to run it?

would like to know this to as I would fair much better that you. My grandson got a guest 2 for Christmas and I'm living through his eyes, as he's pretty far from us at the moment!

10 hours ago, atom631 said:

I was running just about everything with a Ryzen 2600 and rx580 at decent quality (step above quest) . Just upgraded to a 3060 and it's unfucking believeble now. 

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I just came here to post this actually, I finally remembered to buy it and saw that Ghost Giant which looks like it might be the star of the bundle sold out of keys. Apparently they will get more and add it to your account, but I still bought it as even if that does not happen it’s a great deal.

For people too lazy to click the link, it’s at least 7 (likely will be 8) Quest games for $15, though one is more an experience sorta thing and another more of an art program. Still, overall the best deal I’ve seen on Quest games yet and I’m always down to try new VR stuff for cheap.

16 hours ago, stepee said:

I just came here to post this actually, I finally remembered to buy it and saw that Ghost Giant which looks like it might be the star of the bundle sold out of keys. Apparently they will get more and add it to your account, but I still bought it as even if that does not happen it’s a great deal.

For people too lazy to click the link, it’s at least 7 (likely will be 8) Quest games for $15, though one is more an experience sorta thing and another more of an art program. Still, overall the best deal I’ve seen on Quest games yet and I’m always down to try new VR stuff for cheap.

I picked it up too. Too good of a deal to pass up

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, stepee said:
b2ad8b6abd59155f6705927599554a8d29929430
WWW.HUMBLEBUNDLE.COM

Get a bundle of great VR games like Cook-Out, Trover Saves the Universe, and Panoptic. Plus, pay what you want & support charity!

guys

Sweet. I had my eye on Trover Saves the Universe, so that’s a huge deal. Now I need to actually get that wireless connection set up so I can actually play these games.