Did I miss something? When did the Switch offer legit free trials for games if you have Switch Online?

Xbob42

So I was playing Story of Seasons on my PC, and my daughter kept telling me she wanted to play it. I head on over to the store on her Switch and notice she can just... download and play the game for a week? And it's not a demo, but a trial? Since when?

M3INxxS.jpg

Excuse her disgusting screen, I didn't feel like extracting a screenshot from it via Nintendo's arcane methods, and I ain't cleaning whatever's on there, don't want to catch some horrible disease.

Anyway, when was this added? This is actually an awesome idea. Obviously it's not for every game, looks like they're using this combined with a sale to boost copies sold, which to me is genius. Of course we've seen this for years on Steam, but from Nintendo this is like them going from 1845 internet to 2012 internet, quite a monumental step and one I appreciate.

It's kind of like the Xbox Free Weekends for certain games.

For Story of Seasons, it's this specific week that has a trial.  So while yes they offer trials, its not at your convenience.  Still a cool perk though, and not one I really knew much about either.

story-of-seasons-pioneers-olive-town-nso
WWW.IMORE.COM

Nintendo Switch Online subscribers have access to Game Trials, where they can play a game for free for one week. The upcoming game on offer is from the beloved Story of Seasons franchise.

*On a side note, how is this game?  Similar to Harvet Moon of old?  Stardew Valley?

Anyone can choose what kind of demo to offer. It's up to the publisher. Nintendo usually does limited game demos for their stuff, but a hundred hour game like Story of Seasons can probably get away with a week demo. Honestly, Nintendo should offer the same for like Animal Crossing, but they didn't exactly have much of a problem selling that one. Thinking about it, they should do free weekends for like Splatoon every now and then.

Also, it's really not difficult to get screenshots off a Switch. Just connect it to either Twitter or Facebook and send them there.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone can choose what kind of demo to offer. It's up to the publisher. Nintendo usually does limited game demos for their stuff, but a hundred hour game like Story of Seasons can probably get away with a week demo. Honestly, Nintendo should offer the same for like Animal Crossing, but they didn't exactly have much of a problem selling that one. Thinking about it, they should do free weekends for like Splatoon every now and then.

Also, it's really not difficult to get screenshots off a Switch. Just connect it to either Twitter or Facebook and send them there.

I ain't connecting my 7 year old daughter's Switch to Facebook or Twitter to get a single screenshot off when I could just take a photo of the screen.

And this is different than a demo in a few ways. It's just straight up the entire game, and there's no limit on content or playtime, and it's only for Switch Online members. That's very different from their normal demos.

57 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

53 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I ain't connecting my 7 year old daughter's Switch to Facebook or Twitter to get a single screenshot off when I could just take a photo of the screen.

It's easier than that. You can scan a QR code and send it directly to your phone.

47 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I am enjoying it a lot so far! But I'm still real early.

ZxubCYC.jpg

Fishin' in puddles.

Fair enough. These are just my wife’s favourite type of game (massive Stardew Valley fan, loved Harvest Moon on the GBC and GC) and if she has one, it means I get unfettered access to the PS4/TV.

8 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Fair enough. These are just my wife’s favourite type of game (massive Stardew Valley fan, loved Harvest Moon on the GBC and GC) and if she has one, it means I get unfettered access to the PS4/TV.

Tell her you can play as a girl. For most women, the most annoying part of games like this is when they force you to be a dude.

8 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

These Harvest Moon-likes are such good time dumps. Rune Factory 5 is leaving Japan early next year. Sounds like localizations has been delayed a bit while they work out some frame rate issues.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten more Rune Factory games on Steam. These types of farming games do amazingly well on there. Story of Seasons isn't quite as well-known as the old Harvest Moon brand, I don't think it's hit quite the same highs as Stardew Valley or the Farming Simulator games yet, but if they keep releasing quality titles I'm sure that'll change. So far I'm really liking this game.

They seem to have learned a lot since the last time I played one, added a lot of Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley elements like filling a museum (When did they start adding museums to Story of Seasons? I can't even remember the last one I played.) while also retaining a lot of the classic stuff. Not to mention the ultra fat cows.

STORYOFSEASONS_PioneersofOliveTown_SS_16

32 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten more Rune Factory games on Steam. These types of farming games do amazingly well on there. Story of Seasons isn't quite as well-known as the old Harvest Moon brand, I don't think it's hit quite the same highs as Stardew Valley or the Farming Simulator games yet, but if they keep releasing quality titles I'm sure that'll change. So far I'm really liking this game. They seem to have learned a lot since the last time I played one, added a lot of Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley elements like filling a museum (When did they start adding museums to Story of Seasons? I can't even remember the last one I played.) while also retaining a lot of the classic stuff. Not to mention the ultra fat cows.

I'm also shocked. Rune Factory Frontier was the most hours I dumped into a Wii game. That game at 4k on PC with minimal changes would do pretty damn well.

19 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That’s funny coming from someone who admits to gaming on PC. :p 

Happy Thursday GIF by MOODMAN

That was exactly his point. Better everything. Things run well and without problems on PC. This isn't 2008. 

Plus, Steam Deck. It'll never be as popular as Switch, but its gonne be way better! 😜 

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That was exactly his point. Better everything. Things run well and without problems on PC. This isn't 2008. 

Plus, Steam Deck. It'll never be as popular as Switch, but its gonne be way better! 😜 

Yeah, “better.” After you turn off raytracing, dynamic lighting, etc. Then you’re basically looking at a game on PSP. :p Unless you’re paying thousands of dollars for the premium setup. Which no game ever really takes advantage of. 

Looking forward to SteamDeck, though! 

11 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah, “better.” After you turn off raytracing, dynamic lighting, etc. Then you’re basically looking at a game on PSP. :p Unless you’re paying thousands of dollars for the premium setup. Which no game ever really takes advantage of. 

But none of what you're saying is true. Except for the highest of high end gaming experiences, PC gaming has been without problems for over half a decade now. 

The idea that PC gaming is difficult is a lie told by those who either don't game on PC, or have ancient computers.

Cost isn't much of a factor. Thats why PC gaming is more popular than ever. For 2k you have an amazing rig that does far more than just gaming.

45 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Turn all those off and it will look the same as a switch game except it will run at a higher frame rate and you can't do the same for a switch game.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

But none of what you're saying is true. Except for the highest of high end gaming experiences, PC gaming has been without problems for over half a decade now. 

The idea that PC gaming is difficult is a lie told by those who either don't game on PC, or have ancient computers.

Cost isn't much of a factor. Thats why PC gaming is more popular than ever. For 2k you have an amazing rig that does far more than just gaming.

Yeah.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Turn all those off and it will look the same as a switch game except it will run at a higher frame rate and you can't do the same for a switch game.

PC games kinda run like garbage in general, though. At least in my experience. Buggy messes that boot me out to my desktop every 15 minutes.

Sorry, I can’t take PC gaming seriously. It’s cool for mods, though! 

I hope the Steam Deck makes PC gaming easier and more home console-like.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, Xbob42 said:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten more Rune Factory games on Steam. These types of farming games do amazingly well on there. Story of Seasons isn't quite as well-known as the old Harvest Moon brand, I don't think it's hit quite the same highs as Stardew Valley or the Farming Simulator games yet, but if they keep releasing quality titles I'm sure that'll change. So far I'm really liking this game.

They seem to have learned a lot since the last time I played one, added a lot of Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley elements like filling a museum (When did they start adding museums to Story of Seasons? I can't even remember the last one I played.) while also retaining a lot of the classic stuff. Not to mention the ultra fat cows.

The cow isn't fat, it's just full of milk. 

How is the pace of this game?  I saw the trailer the other day and it seems like designing/farming seems to be kind of slow with the animations being used.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Which games and what PC?

I think the last one I tried was Hollow Knight. On my MacBook Pro. MacOS Catalina, version 10.15.7. 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor. 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 memory. Graphics are Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB. 

Full disclosure, I don't know what any of those numbers mean. It's just what comes up when click on "About this Mac." Also, I think that game ran fine for the most part. But I ended up just playing it on Switch anyway, lulz 

11 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Full disclosure, I don't know what any of those numbers mean. It's just what comes up when click on "About this Mac." Also, I think that game ran fine for the most part. But I ended up just playing it on Switch anyway, lulz 

Claims  PC games are buggy messes, then says it ran fine.

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

• Haha 1