Ted Lasso

I binged the first season shortly after it was all out and loved it. I recommended it to my sister and her husband, who both loved it and started telling all of their friends about it. We all ended up getting somewhat obsessed, watching episodes over and over. One of their friends even hosted us at a viewing party for the season 2 premier (perhaps not realizing that there was going to be only one episode a week). 

I feel like people are being harsher on this season because their perception on the first was altered by the fact that most people binged it. The first season took a few episodes before I could really connect as well.

This season seems to be playing the long game. We’ve seen a lot of act one stuff so we’ll start seeing all of the setup payoff soon.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Yesterday's was a significantly better episode.

I read somewhere that reviewers got the first 8 episodes and it gets way better starting at episode 6. Granted it’s a 12 episode season so there are 4 more reviewers have not seen but I have hope. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I read somewhere that reviewers got the first 8 episodes and it gets way better starting at episode 6. Granted it’s a 12 episode season so there are 4 more reviewers have not seen but I have hope. 

I appreciate that the show leans into kindness and compassion, and I get that a Christmas episode is supposed to be campy bu design. But it's weird that they had a whole episode about Sam pushing back on Richmond's main sponsor that so far as had zero repercussions at all, for example. Revisiting the situation with Ted's family / his panic attacks is a good direction for the show to go if they want it to be anything other than saccharine especially if most of the interpersonal conflicts on the team are largely resolved at this moment.

After finally catching up, I feel even more confident in my original assertion that this season needs to be viewed as a whole and not necessarily on an episode-by-episode basis. This season is playing the long game, folks. The psychologist, and Ted's fear of going to counseling himself is all set-up for the later half where we'll understand more about the dark side behind Ted's insistence for constant positivity. If the first half of the season seemed overly saccharine, it's because I suspect a lot of that will be deconstructed in the back half. I've heard this season gets much darker than the last one did.

On 8/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, Kal-El814 said:

I appreciate that the show leans into kindness and compassion, and I get that a Christmas episode is supposed to be campy bu design. But it's weird that they had a whole episode about Sam pushing back on Richmond's main sponsor that so far as had zero repercussions at all, for example. Revisiting the situation with Ted's family / his panic attacks is a good direction for the show to go if they want it to be anything other than saccharine especially if most of the interpersonal conflicts on the team are largely resolved at this moment.

What repercussions did you want? That would have been such a cliche path for them to take. They drop a sponsor and find a new one. It’s well established how wealthy Rebecca is so finances in the short term doesn’t need to be a story. Maybe they will be in the long run. There was that line early in the season about a Champion team paying Premier salaries. But personally I’m glad that sponsor thing didn’t drag out. Sponsor sucks. They took a stand and dropped them. End of story. 

Unlike others I’ve enjoyed this season from the beginning, but it keeps on getting better and better.

But yeah, Nate straight up sucks. I never found his mild-manner nature and lack of confidence to be endearing and now that he’s gone full asshole he’s just too much for me.

This show has never seemed super interested in "making sense" as a sports show, which is completely fine. That said, Nate being around and coaching "made sense" when the show insisted that Ted knew so little about soccer as to not understand the basic rules. That really isn't the case anymore and they've got Roy coaching as well, so Nate's only real purpose is the drama of his character being a bit of a dick. In 2021 I don't know that I really care for a season long arc about a guy who presents as nice to people in power but punches down the instant he can get away with it.

The first half of this season was definitely hit or miss. I wouldn't say it was bad, just kind of meandering along, but it's definitely picked up after the Christmas episode.

I read somewhere that the writers planed for another 10 episode season, but Apple increased it to 12 so they had to fit in 2 filler episodes. Clearly the Christmas episode was one of those (and a welcomed one).

On 9/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, Bjomesphat said:

The first half of this season was definitely hit or miss. I wouldn't say it was bad, just kind of meandering along, but it's definitely picked up after the Christmas episode.

I read somewhere that the writers planed for another 10 episode season, but Apple increased it to 12 so they had to fit in 2 filler episodes. Clearly the Christmas episode was one of those (and a welcomed one).

And this weeks must have been the other one haha. 

I wasn’t sure how I was feeling during most of the episode but by the end I really loved it. 

On 8/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I loved the first season. The second one has been much more uneven for me. If it keeps trending in this direction I'll end up being disappointed.

Out of curiosity, did you binge the first season or watch it week by week?

I have some similar feelings, although I believe I've enjoyed the second season more than you have.  

Finally got around to watching season 2 (up to date). It’s not quite as well crafted as season 1, and honestly, I would have been fine with it as a one and done series.

A lot of arcs to sort through and finish these next couple of weeks.

I didn’t even like Nate in the first season. His turn in this season would be easier to forgive if I actually liked him to begin with.

Prediction for the last episode: Sam will leave Richmond and the dance number that was rehearsed to bid the psychologist farewell will be used for him instead.

• Shocked 1

We all know there will be a season 3. Lasso just signed a deal with the EPL to use their teams and real game footage. I do not understand why then some story lines are being rushed. Last episode felt like a whirlwind compared to the pace of season 2

And fuck Nate. 

21 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

We all know there will be a season 3. Lasso just signed a deal with the EPL to use their teams and real game footage. I do not understand why then some story lines are being rushed. Last episode felt like a whirlwind compared to the pace of season 2

And fuck Nate. 

I dunno it doesn’t feel rushed to me. I kinda line them wrapping up all the season storylines in one season. 

Gotta assume the foil for Season 3 will be Nate getting offered a head coaching position for Rebecca’s ex husbands inevitable new team

It’s strange that for a season that is longer than the last one, a lot os coming out of nowhere at close to the last minute. The last struggle we saw of Roy and Keeley’s relationship, he was a bit too involved and up in her business. Now he meets a character we’ve never seen before and after one scene he’s not bringing up his relationship with Keeley at all? I get this is how relationships work IRL but it’s weird in fiction. Most of the first and second season have been establishing the strength of their relationship and how there’s a love square and it feels really hamfisted to me.

The Rebecca / Sam relationship was just not working for me and this was before they flew in a billionaire who Bruce Wayne’d himself all throughout town. I get that they care about one another, but I’m meant to believe that an online flirtation and a brief secret fling, even if it’s intense, is going to cause this much consternation? And this billionaire’s offer is for Sam to play… for a team that doesn’t exist, to boost African soccer on a timeframe that’s roughly as long as Sam’s been alive?

I appreciate that this show doesn’t really care about the “sport” aspect of the club. I’m fine with this up until the point where it makes people behave like morons. Ted not knowing the rules and language of the sport 2 years into coaching the club makes no sense. Rebecca running the club like someone who is driven purely by feelings and emotion makes no sense. The show trying to play Rebecca’s confession that she was sabotaging the team in season 1 as equivalent to copping to her tryst with Sam in season 2 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

Ted teaching the team choreography the week of the match in which they could be promoted makes no sense. When the show is trying to set up Nate as “the villain” for the end of the season, having him be the only person on the coaching staff to make a valid point about how the team is spending their time means someone fucked up.

EDIT - I will say that Nick Mohammed absolutely crushes his role as Nate. For a show where a lot of the acting is deliberately over the top in the interest of comedy, he really nails swinging back and forth between self loathing and swagger.

• Guillotine 1

33 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s strange that for a season that is longer than the last one, a lot os coming out of nowhere at close to the last minute. The last struggle we saw of Roy and Keeley’s relationship, he was a bit too involved and up in her business. Now he meets a character we’ve never seen before and after one scene he’s not bringing up his relationship with Keeley at all? I get this is how relationships work IRL but it’s weird in fiction. Most of the first and second season have been establishing the strength of their relationship and how there’s a love square and it feels really hamfisted to me.

The Rebecca / Sam relationship was just not working for me and this was before they flew in a billionaire who Bruce Wayne’d himself all throughout town. I get that they care about one another, but I’m meant to believe that an online flirtation and a brief secret fling, even if it’s intense, is going to cause this much consternation? And this billionaire’s offer is for Sam to play… for a team that doesn’t exist, to boost African soccer on a timeframe that’s roughly as long as Sam’s been alive?

I appreciate that this show doesn’t really care about the “sport” aspect of the club. I’m fine with this up until the point where it makes people behave like morons. Ted not knowing the rules and language of the sport 2 years into coaching the club makes no sense. Rebecca running the club like someone who is driven purely by feelings and emotion makes no sense. The show trying to play Rebecca’s confession that she was sabotaging the team in season 1 as equivalent to copping to her tryst with Sam in season 2 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

Ted teaching the team choreography the week of the match in which they could be promoted makes no sense. When the show is trying to set up Nate as “the villain” for the end of the season, having him be the only person on the coaching staff to make a valid point about how the team is spending their time means someone fucked up.

EDIT - I will say that Nick Mohammed absolutely crushes his role as Nate. For a show where a lot of the acting is deliberately over the top in the interest of comedy, he really nails swinging back and forth between self loathing and swagger.

I can’t get over the fact that I agree with this very detailed breakdown of the season while having the glaring mistake that we had never met the teacher.

Really ruined a great post.

I was thinking over why this season just hasn’t done it for me the way season 1 did, and I think it comes down to season 1 being a comedy with some dramatic elements and season 2 trying to be a drama with some comedic elements. It takes a lot to invert the genre well…and I don’t think they do here.