Ted Lasso

I haven’t watched Schitts Creek, so I can’t compare, but if you don’t think the Ted Lasso writing team was attempting to move beyond the simplicity of the first season sitcom structure I don’t think there is any way to have a meaningful discussion of why season 2 doesn’t quite land for many.

I actually went and looked at a lot of the media press after this most recent back and forth thinking maybe I was crazy…and it is a constant bit of discussion about the attempt to transition the show to be a “prestige drama”. 

Apparently everybody except a few people on this board noticed that rather obvious and abrupt shift :p 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Americans confuse football with American football all the time. 

Which is bad, but confusing what is meant by something that uses the exact same name is not the same as playing a character that you have confused with a character from a completely different show. Ted Lasso is not a character in Friday Night Lights, and that would remain incorrect even if Friday Night Lights was about soccer.

Mitt is doing this meme

63b.jpg

But I can't tell if he's doing it deliberately or actually just doesn't realize the error.

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Which is bad, but confusing what is meant by something that uses the exact same name is not the same as playing a character that you have confused with a character from a completely different show. Ted Lasso is not a character in Friday Night Lights, and that would remain incorrect even if Friday Night Lights was about soccer.

Mitt is doing this meme

63b.jpg

But I can't tell if he's doing it deliberately or actually just doesn't realize the error.

You've just described the very common question posed by reasonable people around the world when confronted by the true Bush doctrine!  Many a Republican politician has used this approach since George W(hat is happening?!) Bush first pioneer the technique in the early days of the 21st century. 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Watching the two seasons together as a binge I enjoyed it and the shift is obvious but also I think they did a good job of blending into it when watching that way. I could take it either as the straight comedy or as something a little more meaty, I enjoyed both seasons as is but if it’s only one more season then I’d probably want the longer form style just because of that, and might be more awkward now going the other way. 

I think maybe Kal is over thinking this show to some degree.

• Halal 1