I was this many years old when I found out....

Ominous

My dad isn't my biological father.

I had suspicions for a while, so I took an ancestry test and only recognized people on my moms side.

Bought my brother one and once his came back found out he was my half brother, but he has all my parental cousins and things like that as matches on his.

:shrug:

• Shocked 4

Hey, your family is your family.

Through the same process, we found that one of my aunts was not my grandfather's child. My grandmother had a little fling with someone else, apparently. She was the youngest of the siblings, too. On the other side, my dad's biological mother had 6 total children, only the first three knew about any of the others.

People play hanky panky. For me, my dad has a very distinctive chin, which carried on through all of his children (there are 5 of us). I used to think there was no way my little brother was related (blue eyes, light brown hair, etc), but NOPE. He's got the family chin. Can't fake that.

My dad used to spend months at a time in Chengdu when I was a kid, and knowing what I know about him, I've always thought that I have some long lost half brothers and sisters hanging around there somewhere. I want to go to Chengdu and try to spot the chin.

Anyway, not knowing how you feel, but I've personally reached a point where I wouldn't really care if I found out that my father wasn't my father or whatever.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Hey, your family is your family.

Through the same process, we found that one of my aunts was not my grandfather's child. My grandmother had a little fling with someone else, apparently. She was the youngest of the siblings, too. On the other side, my dad's biological mother had 6 total children, only the first three knew about any of the others.

People play hanky panky. For me, my dad has a very distinctive chin, which carried on through all of his children (there are 5 of us). I used to think there was no way my little brother was related (blue eyes, light brown hair, etc), but NOPE. He's got the family chin. Can't fake that.

My dad used to spend months at a time in Chengdu when I was a kid, and knowing what I know about him, I've always thought that I have some long lost half brothers and sisters hanging around there somewhere. I want to go to Chengdu and try to spot the chin.

Anyway, not knowing how you feel, but I've personally reached a point where I wouldn't really care if I found out that my father wasn't my father or whatever.

Yea it doesn't change how I feel about anything. Makes me wonder if I have any other siblings out there, but I don't care enough to start chasing people down and potentially bringing up old news that might have a negative impact on people. 

It's crazy what these ancestry tests will reveal.

My wife has a smiliar story, I'll try to make as quick as I can. She was adopted by her grandparents when she was 2yrs old. Mom was in and out of her life, never met her dad but always heard it was this one guy. So fast forward to when she is like 30 years old she wanted to track the guy down to see what was up. They connected, met some other extended family, we all had dinner multiple times. Someone on their side said oh you should do Ancestry because they were all on it.  She eventually did the test and none of those people showed up. My wife contacted the people that did show up on the test. Fast forward to the end: my wife's mother, the suspected father, and a 2nd man were all involved at or near the same time. The other man turned out to be the real father. After talking to the other guys family it turns out he was a real piece of shit who got multiple women pregnant and was abusive and died an early death. 

Do you feel upset by the news? My wife was slightly... it was more of a head trip with some added stress she hadn't really set out to find. 

8 hours ago, Ominous said:

Yea it doesn't change how I feel about anything. Makes me wonder if I have any other siblings out there, but I don't care enough to start chasing people down and potentially bringing up old news that might have a negative impact on people. 

Maybe worth tracking down bio dad so you can ask about his medical history (so you know things you should look out for yourself). But I get you on not wanting to track down all the potential siblings and everything. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe worth tracking down bio dad so you can ask about his medical history (so you know things you should look out for yourself). But I get you on not wanting to track down all the potential siblings and everything. 

I suspect they are console only peasants.

• Shocked 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3