Retired 4-star admiral/former JSOC commander asks Imbecile-in-Chief to revoke his security clearance

10 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Shut up, Greenwald. 

Anyway, I have a question. 

Obviously Trump did this as retribution/punishment for Brennan being such an outspoken critic...

But how exactly is it a violation of free speech?

You're unclear about why a government official retaliating against you for speaking your mind is a free speech violation?

39 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm asking why it's a practical violation of free speech. How is this keeping him from speaking? Retaliation for speech isn't a violation of that freedom. 

I don't see it as a First Amendment issue.

This probably falls under due process or some other provision, but I don't see this as a strictly freedom of speech one.

19 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't see it as a First Amendment issue.

This probably falls under due process or some other provision, but I don't see this as a strictly freedom of speech one.

I agree with this for this case, but I do see how it could be a first-amendment issue for the government to take any reprisal against you, even if it doesn't prevent you (technically) from speaking. but instead suppresses/cools your desire to speak because of the threat.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I agree with this for this case, but I do see how it could be a first-amendment issue for the government to take any reprisal against you, even if it doesn't prevent you (technically) from speaking. but instead suppresses/cools your desire to speak because of the threat.

The catch is that a security clearance does not "belong" to the individual who possesses it - it belongs to the government and the individual who has one really has no "rights" in regard to it.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The catch is that a security clearance does not "belong" to the individual who possesses it - it belongs to the government and the individual who has one really has no "rights" in regard to it.

But they're not supposed to be taken away without a security justification for doing so.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Does it?

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

But they're not supposed to be taken away without a security justification for doing so.

Right, it's another case of selective enforcement. Trump absolutely has the authority to fire Comey. If someone paid him a million dollars to do it, that's still illegal.

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Does it?

In this case, Trump has gone out of his way to invite slippery slope arguments. Granted, Brennen himself has basically said, "No skin off my ass" for this.

But one of the intelligence agents signing on to support Brennen mentioned they are waiting for Justice to sign off on their book. Hmm, any potential for intimidation there? In general, it sounds like the biggest issue for retired agents with clearance is how much it could effect their memoirs. That is a direct line between the public gaining first hand knowledge, and that messenger being silenced by Trump.

And that's before you get to the people he is threatening to do this to who are still employed. It is my understanding that removing Bruce Oyr's clearance would be, effectively, to fire him. Add that all up, and this sends a message to everyone in the intelligence field. Get caught showing any negative attitudes to Trump, and you're fired.