More Bodies of Indigenous Children have been found at former Residential Schools Using Ground Penetrating Radar in Canada

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You got that right.

If there's one thing he has consistently proved, it's that he's nowhere near his father.

To be fair, his father would have probably doubled down against Indigenous people.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Probably not much that Trudeau can do really.  

Not much the government can do about the past, but it can put more money and projects towards the Indigenous future.

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Trudeau has proven at this point that he's a lip service liberal, just like most of them in government

... I feel like I'd still take him over chuck Schumer.

Perhaps Trudeau's government isn't as progressive as the NDP...but they are definitely progressive compared to anything in the US. They've effectively expanded the safety net by quite a bit, and fulfilled something like 80% of their election promises from 2015.

27 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Regardless of what you think of the catholic church or the people who ran these particular churches back when these atrocities happened, burning down these churches is clearly a hate crime under Canadian law.  

I am not excusing the burnings, but one easy way to prevent them would be to admit that the Church committed hate crimes for 150 years in Canada, and to apologize and pay for those crimes. But it won't.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am not excusing the burnings, but one easy way to prevent them would be to admit that the Church committed hate crimes for 150 years in Canada, and to apologize and pay for those crimes. But it won't.

If the churches were funded by the government, it's very possible that the government knew about these horrors and did not thing about them at the time too.  So if anything, both the church and the Canadian government owe a hearty apology and millions in damages to the families of the killed. 

57 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Regardless of what you think of the catholic church or the people who ran these particular churches back when these atrocities happened, burning down these churches is clearly a hate crime under Canadian law.  

It’s not a hate crime, it’s a great crime!

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If there is one thing that is incredibly clear in modern times: apologizing only makes things worse for the wrong doer. You actually get better results by ignoring or even denying the wrong doing!

Just now, sblfilms said:

If there is one thing that is incredibly clear in modern times: apologizing only makes things worse for the wrong doer. You actually get better results by ignoring or even denying the wrong doing!

Or follow my preferred method, totally OWN THE HELL out of it!

"Yeah, I did that, and not only would I do it AGAIN, but I'll do it EVEN MORE!"

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They have apologized multiple times.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Individual Archbishops have (or churches), but the Church itself through the Pope has not. Nor have they paid restitution like they were supposed to.

Was this policy handed down from Rome? Seems like it was a joint venture of the local diocese and the Canadian government, but I've only read the links posted in this thread.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Individual Archbishops have (or churches), but the Church itself through the Pope has not. Nor have they paid restitution like they were supposed to.

"I humbly ask for forgiveness not only for the offences of the church itself, but also for the crimes against native peoples during the so-called conquest of America"

Pope Francis, July 10, 2015

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Was this policy handed down from Rome? Seems like it was a joint venture of the local diocese and the Canadian government, but I've only read the links posted in this thread.

The information on who the real killers were was sadly burned in the church fire.  

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

"I humbly ask for forgiveness not only for the offences of the church itself, but also for the crimes against native peoples during the so-called conquest of America"

We’ve been Riley’d again

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Wasn’t this apology directed to the people of South America ?