Ryanair flight carrying wanted Belarusian journalist forced to land in Minsk

26 minutes ago, Iculus said:

I'm probably just a dumb cunt, but this is hilarious to me for some reason.

This represents a pretty dangerous international precedent, especially since Belarus vectored a MiG-29 to "convince" the captain to land the plane in Minsk.

There needs to be serious repercussions against the Belarus regime, something along the lines of a complete and total severing of transportation links with the EU.

All carriers should now re-route their flight paths to avoid Belarus airspace.

54 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This represents a pretty dangerous international precedent, especially since Belarus vectored a MiG-29 to "convince" the captain to land the plane in Minsk.

There needs to be serious repercussions against the Belarus regime, something along the lines of a complete and total severing of transportation links with the EU.

I saw someone suggesting that one of the Baltic states (I forget which) should start pursuing a NATO Article 4 response. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I saw someone suggesting that one of the Baltic states (I forget which) should start pursuing a NATO Article 4 response. 

This isn't a bad idea. And the response could well be what SFLU proposed: changing all flight paths to avoid Belarus, and refusing all flights from Belarus. 

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

oh, I get it. it's just the pure insanity of the situation I guess. I am not downplaying any geopolitical ramifications. 

I like that they actually used the term “hijacked” there as opposed to the more neutral “forced to land” language I’ve seen

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Needs more passive voice, truly the only objective way to present news.

"A plane landed in Belarus after there having been a disagreement between the President and a man who had been on board. The plane then took off, with the man having left it, and the disagreement resolved."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I like that they actually used the term “hijacked” there as opposed to the more neutral “forced to land” language I’ve seen

I think the early reporters from the media didn't really yet understand what happened.  It took them a few days to understand the enormity of what actually happened.