Elex II - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Bacon

That PC Games video is very good(turn on captions). Clears up a lot of speculation I had. Seems like ELEX 2 might be going some cool shit. It also talks about a lot of the ugly parts the gameplay trailer shows off and doesn't seem to be sucking the ELEX dick. Pretty much everything I could post from the video would be clear early game spoilers so instead of me spoiling you just watch the video. 

Tagging @Mr.Vic20 @Fizzzzle and @XxEvil AshxX in case they care 

Prediction spoiler tho

Spoiler

Nasty is canon wife if the kid isn't adopted. This is based on the Devs saying they picked the most picked ending for ELEX 1 as the canon ending. Tho Nasty being most picked is a surprise even if that is who I picked. 

Honestly, it will be hella lame if the game does the whole "fucked some no named hoe off-screen"

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II - Information Thread, update: Story Trailer

WoW every voiced is totally different. I really can't say that it is better since it sounds like they hired anime voice actors. Time will tell tho. And fucking caja. Caja sucks balls. Nasty was way better. Also, I can't tell what ending that is. Either Warm or Neutral. Hell, it could be their own original ending not present in the first game. 

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Bacon thoughts?

I think I remember watching that video and I think it was pretty biased. Ignoring Skyrim, I don't care how many things ELEX does better than TW3, TW3 blows ELEX out of the water in nearly every regard. 

Of course I love ELEX and I hope you see how the game is addicting but also bad but also great. I hope you get to the end and think it is a a piece of shit and can't wait for ELEX 2. 

• Haha 3
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I think I remember watching that video and I think it was pretty biased. Ignoring Skyrim, I don't care how many things ELEX does better than TW3, TW3 blows ELEX out of the water in nearly every regard. 

Of course I love ELEX and I hope you see how the game is addicting but also bad but also great. I hope you get to the end and think it is a a piece of shit and can't wait for ELEX 2. 

Sir, you have stolen my heart and breath with your words! No truer thing has ever been posted on these boards! 

• Thanks 1

And I watched part of the video, and it isn't that he is biased, but more like, imo, he makes thing seem better than they really are. 

tldr: The guy isn't really saying anything false, but dial your expectations back a bit if you found that video enticing. 

My example will the exploration part. He says there are always places to explore and things to find and you can be rewarded with a high level piece of gear early and that is all true to a point. Most exploration isn't really worth it. There are things to find, but most of them aren't worth finding. High Level loot often has high stat requirements as well. Exploration is worth doing while you're in the area, and when going place to place. The value of the rewards vary heavily and I find the best loot is actually often not hidden at all. If you do most of the quests and to some minor exploration during them you'll find nearly everything you could want. There are also no random encounters. That alone makes exploration less enjoyable for me. Even enemies aren't really random. For me, I feel Skyrim rewards exploration better. And while not compared in the video, Fallout is better as well. It is all subjective of course, especially when talking about fun, but ELEX's geometry isn't necessarily fun to navigate. Oh, the verticality is great and the jetpack is a very cool feature to have from the start, but the world can feel very jagged on foot. 

Edit: and he praises the stamina system and combo system in ELEX while saying that TW3 and Skyrim are left click mashers. The Combo system, is, well, it is OK. But it hardly feels less mashy near the end of the game. So many people hate stamina systems but he says it good in ELEX. Eh. And Melee kinda sucks in ELEX. I'd rather be a melee fighter in Skryim than ELEX. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II - Information Thread, update: 01 March 2022 release announced
  • 4 weeks later...
elex-ii-preview-header.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

At preview Elex II is shaping up to be a lot like a better version of Elex, which means it's a weird, unforgiving science fantasy RPG where you will die a lot.

The original Elex was divisive, to say the least. It was a game in which I was perpetually lonely and confused and being battered to death by carcinogenic poultry, but it must have been a profitable enough venture on its own terms to warrant a follow-up. That follow-up is Elex II, which is still several months away from release right now, but one I've been playing an early preview build of recently, showing off the first chapter of the game.

I was talking to Graham (RPS in peace) about this and he said: "Eventually one of these RPG sci-fi fantasy things will get close enough to being a BioWare game that it makes loads of money." This being the games equivalent of monkeys and typewriters. But although I agreed with Graham at the time, I think comparing it to BioWare might be mistaking the particular appeal of Elex II. It would be too simple to say that I "enjoyed" the hours I have spent with it so far. I didn't not enjoy it. I mostly came away respecting it for how little it respected me. Like the popular kids on the playground making life so difficult for you that you wish to become best friends with them.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II (01 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Combat" and "Factions" trailers

I was talking to Graham (RPS in peace) about this and he said: "Eventually one of these RPG sci-fi fantasy things will get close enough to being a BioWare game that it makes loads of money." This being the games equivalent of monkeys and typewriters. But although I agreed with Graham at the time, I think comparing it to BioWare might be mistaking the particular appeal of Elex II. It would be too simple to say that I "enjoyed" the hours I have spent with it so far. I didn't not enjoy it. I mostly came away respecting it for how little it respected me. Like the popular kids on the playground making life so difficult for you that you wish to become best friends with them.

This right here is why I love jank games. They are often these overlooked, B tier titles that are the video game equivalent of finding a homemade board game and learning to wrap your head around the designer's thinking. I know that's not typically how you make a game for mass appeal, but I do think it pokes just the right part of my brain that makes me feel like I found a budget version of Narnia and I love falling into these unwelcoming worlds and subsequently carving out a home. These are more intimate titles than say a Mass Effect or a Fallout. I find them to be the perfect counter balance to the Q3/4 mega titles each year. In short, these games don't really seem to care whether you like them or not, they just "are" and I kinda love that.  

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Do you have to play the first one in order to follow what's going on in part 2?

For the most part I'd say yeah. Same MC and all that. It would be like starting with ME2. I mean you can, but you would lack context. Of course, not all events of ELEX 1 are canon and parts of ELEX 1 story won't be making its way over to ELEX 2. Like your choice of who you romance. They went with the boing choice for ELEX 2.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

For the most part I'd say yeah. Same MC and all that. It would be like starting with ME2. I mean you can, but you would lack context. Of course, not all events of ELEX 1 are canon and parts of ELEX 1 story won't be making its way over to ELEX 2. Like your choice of who you romance. They went with the boing choice for ELEX 2.  

That's a shame. Is Elex 1 on XSX? I read many impressions from you and recall it's rough around the edges. Is it worth playing? What would you compare it to?

Just now, best3444 said:

That's a shame. Is Elex 1 on XSX? I read many impressions from you and recall it's rough around the edges. Is it worth playing? What would you compare it to?

It's on Xbox. I bought it cheap for like 14 bucks. It's definitely worth it at that price but don't go in thinking it's an AAA experience at all. It's janky as fuck and TOUGH.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's on Xbox. I bought it cheap for like 14 bucks. It's definitely worth it at that price but don't go in thinking it's an AAA experience at all. It's janky as fuck and TOUGH.

Is there difficulty settings? I understand it's janky and not AAA but sometimes you can find hidden gems sometimes.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is there difficulty settings? I understand it's janky and not AAA but sometimes you can find hidden gems sometimes.

I think it has Easy Normal and Hard modes. And it is tough at the start, but you can become a literal god midway thru the game. It is honestly best to build your character early on as it takes forever to get the stats required to use the best gear. 

FYI, stats do not increase the power of your character/build. Stats only determine which gear you can equip. Increasing Strength and Constitution don't actually make you tougher. Only Weapons and Armor do that but you must have the stats to equip them. I won't guide you down a path but out of the different methods of combat, there is one that is far superior and you can become over powered early on if you stat dump to be able to use that type of weapon. Of course, at that point you can't really play the game casually. You basically be trekking across the entire map at level one dodging enemies and quests just to get your build. 

• Thanks 1