Elex II - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Bacon

38 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's a shame. Is Elex 1 on XSX? I read many impressions from you and recall it's rough around the edges. Is it worth playing? What would you compare it to?

I think Elex was a free Live game because I have it in my library. You should check 

The "games don't give a fuck about me at all and just exist on their own terms" niche is starting to become my favorite shit. Reading some of the posts in here just now gave me a really good chuckle but also made me morbidly curious about this game. I think I love this kind of weird, janky AA 'fuck you' genre. 

• Bacon changed the title to Elex II 28% off on GMG (01 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Combat" and "Factions" trailers
  • Bacon changed the title to Elex II (01 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Combat" and "Factions" trailers
  • 2 weeks later...

Early review from German PC gaming magazine GameStar:

• Time to finish around 60 hours
  • Two very different parts, the first half of the game is more about avoiding enemies, exploration, and the second half is more about fighting
  • Elex 2 is set as part 2 of a trilogy and you can clearly make that out, by the open ending for several parts of the storylines
  • First half plays like a survival game, probably with a lot of quick saves / load and you try to avoid battles where possible (sounds exactly like Elex 1)
  • Four difficulty settings
  • More than 80 skills
  • (Very) good skill tree (system)
  • Made for fans of Gothic and Elex
  • Five factions to choose from (but you don't have to choose one, though it is recommended - also for the story)
  • The Main story only picks up in the second half of the game
  • It is recommended to have played Elex 1 (to get all the story details in Elex 2)
  • Faces of the characters are a huge weakness in most cases (looking like wax figures in many cases)
  • Quests, cities, and the world, in general, are highlights again
  • Game world is pretty much the same size as in Elex 1
  • Choices by the player have real consequences
  • A ton of dialogues, especially if you first enter a city/camp from one of the factions (lots of talking)
  • Companions in Elex 2 as well, complete with their own quest lines
  • Controls/Combat and animations still feel a bit clunky, but improved compared to Elex 1 (don't expect a AAA modern combat system and animations/graphics in general)
  • Grenades and rocket launchers are mostly of use to "push back enemies" rather than weapons to actually fight/kill them
  • Flying feels better/improved and is a lot more fun, but is limited in time (jetpack can be upgraded several times) and one point I won't mention here
  • Only very minor quest and tech issues in this near-final build, which should be fixed for the release version

Final score prediction around 80-82/100, worst part being the graphics with 3/5

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II (01 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: early review from German PC gaming magazine GameStar
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II (01 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Explanation" trailer

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. This game is a visual downgrade. At least when it comes to character models. It is not even passible. Jax looking like some 2bit niko bellic and the kid...

Spoiler

q6dNEXx.png

And shit, they are doing this thing with pre-rendered full CG cutscenes that both look good but also already make the game seem dated. 

And the game doesn't run great for me. I don't even think the over all game looks that great, yet I'm like hard stuck at 50 frames. 

• Haha 1

Game Information

Game Title: ELEX II

Platforms:

• PC (Mar 1, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 1, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Mar 1, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 1, 2022)

Developer: Piranha Bytes

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 70 average - 41% recommended

Critic Reviews

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5

Although Piranha Bytes' Elex 2 is not without its minor shortcomings, it is the definition of what all open-world RPGs should be.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

Elex II presents a world and narrative of immeasurable depth in terms of the freedom you have to play your way and the choices you’re presented with as a player. Couple that with an extremely gratifying sense of progression, and you have a world that begs to be visited for repeat playthroughs. If you can look past the inevitable lack of polish, and archaic presentation issues, do yourself a favor and don’t let this absolute gem pass you by.

33bits - Spanish - 80 / 100

Elex II does not bring anything new to those of us who are already veterans of Piranha Games games. But it doesn't fall short of any other game in its franchises either. A good story, LOTS of content, decisions, different factions, and a poor combat system define an Elex II that also brings the apocalyptic science fiction setting mixed with a fantasy world. Recommended.

Digitally Downloaded - 4 / 5

Even that's ultimately part of the charm of Elex II though, because it was a game made by RPG enthusiasts for RPG enthusiasts, and min-maxing is, ultimately, a big part of this community. Though the game comes across as an impenetrable club members-only experience at times, the creativity and energy behind it is impossible to deny. Frankly, I would rather play something like this, bugs and all, than something overproduced and so safe that it puts me to sleep.

Gaming Nexus - 8 / 10

Elex II ignores current game design ethos and rages to its own weird beat. Weird, fun, tough, and unpredictably funny, Elex II is feels like a DIY punk-rock open world game, janky and awesome all at the same time. Steer clear if you insist on perfection in your games, but if you are willing to go for the ride and appreciate the flaws instead of being bothered by them, you'll find a deep and fun adventure unlike anything else on the market.

Gaming on PC - 8 / 10

ELEX II is a massive improvement over its predecessor, though its dated graphics and awkward combat can drive players away before they get a chance to truly explore the vast world of Magalan.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100

To sum it all up, Elex II is a blast, both literally and figuratively. What Piranha Bytes was able to achieve in Elex I they were able to build upon, expanding on a world that lives and breathes independently and because of your character. Aside from those little technical issues, the game is sound. I feel like you could also easily get into playing Elex II without having played the first game. However, if you want to understand all of the references, maybe at least watch a recap video first. Either way, this game holds a lot of promise, especially when you consider all the different routes you can take on your playthrough. Who knows where you'll end up?

Impulsegamer - 4 / 5

An ambitious sequel with a beautiful content-packed open-world, complex factions, and interesting choices to role-play your way.

Thumb Culture - 4 / 5

If you were a fan of Elex, or even the Gothic or Risen series by Piranha Bytes for that matter, Elex II is most definitely worth picking up. If you’re looking for that next story-driven game that you can just power through, this is not at all what you’re looking for.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

The use of the jetpack meant that the map had to have more to it. There could no longer be somewhere players couldn’t/wouldn’t go. This is probably the first game of its kind where I honestly believe I saw at least 90% of the map. ELEX II is one hell of an experience and made swooping around the map to unlock fast travel points and complete the main story feel like an adventure rather than just ticking off boxes. The freedom ELEX II allows through the traversal mechanics is something that I have never encountered before in a game like this but will now always think about going forward.

BossLevelGamer - 7.7 / 10

Elex 2 is another example of Piranha Bytes sticking to their guns and making an open-world RPG designed specifically for their core audience. Fans of the studio's previous work will have a field day with this one but everyone else might find it hard to get past the jankiness and technical issues.

WhatIfGaming - 7.7 / 10

ELEX II reels you in an immersive chaotic planet where you try and unite different factions against a new breed of invaders. Despite its stiff combat mechanics that we’re not used to anymore because other games have set the bar in this category, it truly is a huge improvement from its predecessor. Try not to die from fall damage once your jetpack fuel runs out.

Bazimag - Persian - 7.5 / 10

The world building is great and ELEX II manages to fully drive home the notion that avarice can lead to absolute destruction and it is only through co-operation that we can thrive, problem is the gameplay still needs to be way better to be as entertaining as the competition and the visuals and voice acting are just acceptable. Maybe Piranha Bytes needs to scale back a little on their projects because ambition is only celebrated if it pays off or delivers something that hasn’t been experienced before.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Despite some weaker elements, everything combines nicely in ELEX II to provide an unpolished journey, but one that I was thankful I experienced. The game is rather unique, with some modern touches and attributes. Yet at the same time, if you played this game without knowing anything about it, you could mistake it for something from over 10 years ago. It has a unique charm, and if you are willing to put up with some janky combat and odd glitches, there is certainly an engaging story to follow with exceptional dialogue and choices that really seem to alter the world around you. ELEX II takes you on a long journey filled with meaningful engagements and a world teeming with character.

GameSpace - 7.5 / 10

Playing ELEX II left me with a strong impression that the game is largely geared towards those who have already spent a lot of time playing games from this studio. If that's you, your take from the game may be different than someone new to the series and you'll likely have a blast, especially if you loved the first game. If you're new to the series, you may want to bone up on YouTube videos about ELEX I before diving into an interesting, multi-faceted world albeit one fraught with performance and graphical issues. Chances are things will improve with time and patches so maybe it's best to wait a while and let the dev team catch up to the game's potential.

MondoXbox - Italian - 7.5 / 10

ELEX II is as vast, free and engaging as it is crude and flawed. Over-the-top elements clash with a lame technical side and a flawed enemy AI, in a continuous roller coaster of conflicting emotions. It may involve you deeply as well as you may come to hate it for its many imperfections and the punishing difficulty, but however it goes you won't fail to realize this is a game made with heart.

NoobFeed - 75 / 100

ELEX II is completely for the fans of the first game that want more of the same. It doesn’t change enough to impress those that didn’t already love ELEX, nor is it in a good place for first-timers. Still for those returning, ELEX II will offer lots of action and tough choices.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Returning to the apocalyptic fantasy associated with science fiction offers a new threat that the player must face and he constantly die there.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

Overall, ELEX 2 is solid experience for fans of the series, as well as gamers who enjoy open-worlds with a lot to offer, with only a few areas where the game falls short.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Elex II is not without its flaws and some of them can sometimes be quite jarring, but underneath them all is a nice action RPG that gets more than a few things right and that can provide many, many hours of entertainment.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Elex II is your usual Piranha Bytes game. Long, classic in the RPG formula and aesthetically clean, but as always plagued with non optimized combat phases and the trademark issues with anything technical. However, it is still a step forward for the future of the franchise and for Piranha Bytes.

COGconnected - 70 / 100

When Elex came out in 2017, it filled a niche despite its many issues. Elex 2 is bigger and its world is denser, but Piranha Bytes hasn’t really fixed much of what was wrong about the first game. Janky movement and weak combat top the list. Annoying mechanics and glacial progression are right up there, too. Elex 2 has ambition, I’ll give it that. If it pared that ambition with polish, a more coherent narrative, and better pacing, Elex 2 might be a more viable alternative to those other RPGs that are getting so much deserved attention.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Elex II is a uniquely ambitious game made by a developer that already focuses on ambitious games, and Piranha Bytes almost stuck the landing.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

Elex II returns with an acceptable proposal that will delight Piranha Bytes fans but without achieving the qualitative leap it needs to attract the general public.

Infinite Start - 6.9 / 10

ELEX II builds upon its predecessor, offering up an enticing return to Magalan, a setting that is as enjoyable as ever. As with all Piranha Bytes games, there is a level of unrefined gameplay to be found. Audio and animations can be a mixed bag. But beyond the rigidness, there’s a game full of sprawling, deep systems that give the player the freedom to tackle this medieval/sci-fi mash-up their own way. It’s unfortunate that the design of a bygone era comes under fire from resolvable technical problems that make it harder to overlook the rougher edges. After a few patches, ELEX II may be able to shine brighter, but as it currently stands it has one too many jagged edges overshadowing its greater parts.

Spaziogames - Italian - 6.8 / 10

Elex II retains both the best qualities and the worst problems of its predecessor, but it's overall a better game. Still, it's hard to recommend it without qualms to anyone who hasn't played a Piranha Bytes rpg before.

GameWatcher - 6.5 / 10

While there's plenty to applaud in ELEX II's freeform open-world approach, it comes at something of a cost. Technical issues, inconsistent dialogue quality, and some wonky combat do much to muddy the good that can be found in Piranha Bytes expansive RPG.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 6.5 / 10

If you like classic RPGs and are able to make big concessions on the technical side, Elex 2 is a game not to be missed.

PlayStation Universe - 6.5 / 10

Elex 2 asks a lot of you and only gives so much in return. The game provides several special concepts and attempts, but the team's resources limit their potential the entire way. As long as you know what Elex 2 has in store, you might find something there for you.

New Game Network - 60 / 100

ELEX 2 has a distinctive approach to RPG game design and an engaging story, but while it finally bucks the trend of having technical issues at launch, there's still much work to be done on the quality of combat and presentation.

GameGrin - 5.5 / 10

An average RPG spoiled by janky combat and technical issues. I'd only jump into this if there was literally nothing else to play.

FingerGuns - 5 / 10

Elex II is a prime example of great potential being suffocated by poor execution. A large world filled with quests, unique factions and interesting lore can only carry you so far when the combat is floaty, the progression is stifling, the graphics bland and its performance breaks so visibly, so often. Instead of slaying raptors with lasers, you’ll be waiting for the game to pop-in the fun while it chugs out another texture it missed.

GameMAG - Russian - 5 / 10

There are lots of problems, and yet Elex II will hold your attention with a tight grip, even after 60 hours of playtime. All thanks to the crazy setting, worldbuilding, and exploration gameplay.

GamingBolt - 5 / 10

ELEX 2 doesn't have much going for it outside of some incremental improvements over the first game, limiting its appeal more than it needed to.

God is a Geek - 5 / 10

Elex II is another example of Piranha Bytes aiming far too high. It's a plodding, often clunky adventure with few bright spots.

Sirus Gaming - 3 / 10

Elex II is a mediocre RPG with a boring story and characters which is greatly ruined by its infuriating bugs and horrible mission design. I personally would not recommend the game in its current state.

WellPlayed - 3 / 10

The saying that everything deserves a second chance should not have applied to Elex. Elex II takes so many steps backwards from an already poor game, it’s astounding. Its writing, optimisation, combat, and game systems all stand as a new benchmark on what to not do.

WayTooManyGames - 2.5 / 10

Games like Elex II, where it seems no effort was put in, and no ambition is shown, are simply unacceptable. This is just the tip of the iceberg too, as I didn’t even mention the least fun jetpack ever, immortal and totally uncustomizable companions, and the choppy framerate. I could go on for days, but ultimately it doesn’t matter, because it can all be summed up succinctly. Don’t play this, get something else. Respect your time, respect your wallet, and respect other games that are simply doing it better.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

ELEX II contains the best (and the worst) of the previous Piranha Bytes games. It’s deep, fun and the narrative is compelling. Also the weight of the decisions taken during the game change the experience that any player will have with it. But it is also has it flaws, like the poor optimization in PC and the disappointing combat mechanics.

One More Game - Don't Buy

ELEX II is a fringe RPG that marches to its own beat but definitely caters to fans of the series and its style of gameplay. It's the type of game that if you get it, you get it, and if you don't, it'll take a lot of effort and energy to force yourself to. It's very difficult to recommend this game to anyone new to the series who's used to the mainstream style of open-world games, which will certainly require a huge paradigm shift.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Elex II is an ambitious and slightly bonkers open world RPG hampered by badly written and unpleasant characters.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elex II - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 4 months later...