Starfield - Information Thread, update (06/09): "Shattered Space" expansion trailer

SaysWho?

Starfield_09_Temple.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Asking big questions of a team asking big questions

In the five years since Bethesda Softworks first announced Starfield, much of the conversation has been focused on the endless possibilities that await players within the game’s web of planets and choices. There’s complex character and personality creation, a spectrum of geography all tricked out with the latest lighting and physics technology, customizable spaceships and space teams from highly dimensional NPCs, and loads of other bells and whistles to take advantage of the current generation of consoles.

One thing that’s not as foregrounded in the buildup to Bethesda’s next big thing: the narrative that will carry players through this newly created world. A few weeks before the game’s Sept. 6 launch, Polygon editor Owen Good spoke to Starfield lead designer Emil Pagliarulo, a veteran of the studio whose resume includes The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim and Fallout games, about constructing a universe — full of history and ideologically driven populations — from the ground up. Pagliarulo and the Bethesda team aimed to ask bigger questions than most science fiction games of its ilk. 

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
Starfield_09_Temple.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Asking big questions of a team asking big questions

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

I mean this doesn't inspire confidence.

We talked a lot about religion, and we ended up making up two religions for the game. All the existing religions are still there in the world, in the universe, but we focus on the two new ones because those two religions accentuate the vibe of theology in the game. So there’s the Sanctum Universum, and they’re sort of the church where they believe that humans going through space and being able to explore the universe is a sign that God exists, and God wants us to be closer to him. And then there’s the Enlightened, basically an atheist church. They’re humanists; they’re just like, There’s nothing theological about this. And so we would have a lot of talks on our own journeys, our own theology. You know, what is out there? We were really inspired by things like 2001: A Space Odyssey or Contact or Interstellar — these really sort of heady sci-fi concepts.

Let's not pretend that this isn't going to be a game where you try to pickpocket $5 from someone which immediately triggers a fight to the death.

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Somehow, I actually find the presence of that "Bethesda touch" kinda endearing :p

I kinda feel this way too, though my mileage varies wildly game to game. Skyrim I find almost comforting to be in and play despite shit like the alleged geniuses at the Mage's College approaching combat with the same level of strategic thinking and instinct for self preservation as a mudcrab. Fallout 4 has some of those vibes but a lot of it just sucks? And their big swings with shit like The Institute having neither compelling independent goals nor interesting opposition (do you support Synth slavery or not is not an interesting question as written) makes all this stuff about Starfield's lofty ideas seem completely unhinged.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I kinda feel this way too, though my mileage varies wildly game to game. Skyrim I find almost comforting to be in and play despite shit like the alleged geniuses at the Mage's College approaching combat with the same level of strategic thinking and instinct for self preservation as a mudcrab. Fallout 4 has some of those vibes but a lot of it just sucks? And their big swings with shit like The Institute having neither compelling independent goals nor interesting opposition (do you support Synth slavery or not is not an interesting question as written) makes all this stuff about Starfield's lofty goals seem completely unhinged.

It really comes down to the simple fact that a Bethesda game shouldn't be played for its narrative...or its actual combat :p

• True 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It really comes down to the simple fact that a Bethesda game shouldn't be played for its narrative...or its actual combat :p

I don't think THEY know this, which is bananas but I think... true? Again I don't expect Todd's dog and pony show to be, "hey, it's another one of these but... in spaaaaaaaaaace!" They've gotta sell the game, I get it.

But imagine coming out of Fallout 4 and Skyrim and thinking that the thing people wanted out of those games was like... thousands more dungeons?

People thinking this game will be anything other than Fallout/ES in space are deluding themselves. BGS does one thing, and they do it like no one else, but they also don't do any one thing as well as anyone else. BGS is to gaming what a buffet is to dining. And I for one am ready for some buffet gaming! :sun:

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

People thinking this game will be anything other than Fallout/ES in space are deluding themselves. BGS does one thing, and they do it like no one else, but they also don't do any one thing as well as anyone else. BGS is to gaming what a buffet is to dining. And I for one am ready for some buffet gaming! :sun:

I mean, the first gameplay video even had mudspace-crabs

• Hype 1

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

they should have thrown in a true Morrowind homage and had the player character shoot the crab at point blank range just to see “miss” pop up for every single bullet. 

Or have one of the crabs walk up and start talking and wind up being a vendor

4 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

There's a sizeable patch for those that pre-loaded. I hadn't yet apparently, so just over 101gB I'm about 45ish minutes 🙃 

yeah that’s part of why I wasn’t in a big hurry to preload. Some of these games will let you preload and then have updates or day one patches roughly the same size as the initial game install. 

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I missed the clip. :( 

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Imagine “stop right there criminal scum! 😡” but on a space station or something scifi looking. The camera, the appearing from nowhere, the deadpan facial expression. 

Ah, I missed it too, but from this description it sounds like it showed that a Bethesda game is, in fact, a Bethesda game. :p 

23 hours ago, Bacon said:

This game is going to suck ass and people will eat it up.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ah, I missed it too, but from this description it sounds like it showed that a Bethesda game is, in fact, a Bethesda game. :p 

Bacon’s early review is spot on

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think most assumed that even without ridiculous amount of bugs, the game would still be so very much a BGS game that they wouldn’t even need the Bethesda game studio splash screen before the main menu and you’d be reminded constantly while playing. lol